Dorado info

Hi everyone, I posted a while back, but now have a better idea of details.  We are moving to PR and looking to lease in the Dorado area.  We should arrive mid July, my wife is due to have our daughter Sept 1 so should be very interesting!!!  Any tips on specific real estate agents, neighborhoods, etc would be greatly appreciated.  Also are there any Facebook groups in Dorado?  I saw something about Dorado Damas but was unable to find anything.

Any reason why you can't wait to have your baby where you are and then move to Puerto Rico?

My daughter was born in the states. Had my wife had her when she was in PR the baby probably wouldn't have made it. She had some complications during the c-section and the baby was still born. Immediately a team rushed her away and feverishly worked on reviving her, which fortunately they did. My wife had a gall bladder operation and was in and out of the hospital the same day here in Orlando. She has a friend in PR that had the same operation and was in the hospital 9 days. Think about it. They still use demeral for a pain killer for crying out loud. That's ancient medicine here. But on the other hand, plenty of babies are born every day on the island. so many in fact it's getting hard to move around. You got the dice. Roll them the way you see fit. Dora asks a valid question. Read some of the past posts and see what's involved with a stay in a Puerto Rican hospital.

Thanks for all of the concern but the date is pretty fixed. Only way to avoid having the baby in PR is for my wife to stay in the states and for me to go to PR. We have talked with several people in PR that have had some children there and are aware of the differences. But hell I'm in the middle of no where in Maine right now. If the same scenario you described were to happen here not sure the outcome would be way different than PR. Thanks for the help though. 

By the way, anyone have any good tips on the Dorado area?

Coastie743 wrote:

By the way, anyone have any good tips on the Dorado area?

What kind of tips are you looking for?

I've lived in the middle of Maine. I know what you mean. But trust me, she still has a better chance there. Let me tell you what you will need to do. First of all the hospital does not supply pillows. blankets, bedpans, washcloths, towels etc. You or someone else will be responsible for bathing her and taking her to the bathroom and all of her other hygenic needs. Be prepared because the hospital will be about 53 degress. I know from personal experience. Dorado being a more upscale pueblo your medical care may be a little better than some of the other pueblos. Just don't expet to get the level of care that you are used to, even in Maine. I wish i could impart some info on Dorado but I'll have to leave that to others who have had personal experience there. I do know that while I lived in PR I heard a lot of good things about Dorado. Where in Maine are you? I lived in Farmington, Wilton and Weld.

We are looking to rent. Any tips on a real estate agent to go through. Or neighborhoods to look in or stay away from

We live near Ellsworth.

Dorado Dames is a closed group, you have to be invited to join i believe.

What kind of a budget do you have?
Dorado East is better know as DISNEY LAND... not really living in Dorado, everything is lux and over the top.
there is also SABANARA which is further  in land ... beautiful homes.
There are also town houses on the grounds of the Embassy Suits Hotel grounds.

Make sure you go to LA TERAZZA for a great dinner,,, very english friendly and the owner is always a good help.

Jonathan Pinero RE is a good bet.... his english is pretty good and he has lots of contacts. 787-948-6406.

Are you moving with your company???  I do CCT and RELO assistance if they pay ... I work with several companies and do a lot in Dorado.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : removed as requested by the author

Wow, thank you for sharing your experience,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Presby; I can only tell you that both my mother ( non Spanish speaking) and my husband ( 200%  IRISH ) had extended stays, major surgeries and recuperations in Presby and had no such experience.  True that many don't speak English, but they are mostly very accommodating and MOST (MOST not ALL) try their best to help.
The MD/s all speak English and yes, you usually have a family member help you bathe and shower, but since we have no "family"  to help,  I could always find someone who was able to help us.  Yes, you DO have to bring pillows, blankets and towels: it's what they do here.... it's not WRONG or BAD... just different.   
There are also ENGLISH speaking patient advocates all over the hospital and on the floors so I am sorry you didn't find one.    Granted, I have no experience in the maternity wing but I can only imagine that it is the same there as it is in the surgery or Medine  wing.  Again, sorry you had an issue but I am thinking it's a bit unusual. 
I am sure if you told your story to Presby Patient advocate office they would investigate. 

PS:  as for sleeping in the room: a friend of mine from NY  ( also NOT Spanish speaking or English speaking..She only speaks Italian) was on vacation last month and had a stroke.  Her children came to stay with her and when her son was on duty, they asked the woman in the next bed if she minded if the son slept over; she said no so he did..... just depends from case to case I guess.

Thanks !  We have looked into it quite a bit. My insurance pays for the birth and we will have to pay out of pocket for the private room which I hear is well worth it. Also we have already found a doula that we will hire to go to the hospital. We are looking at Ashford Presbyterian. We have some good recommendations on doctors and a doula. Thanks for sharing your experience! I've heard similar stories so hopefully we have taken steps to prevent some of the issues.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

Dorado Dames is a closed group, you have to be invited to join i believe.

What kind of a budget do you have?
Dorado East is better know as DISNEY LAND... not really living in Dorado, everything is lux and over the top.
there is also SABANARA which is further  in land ... beautiful homes.
There are also town houses on the grounds of the Embassy Suits Hotel grounds.

Make sure you go to LA TERAZZA for a great dinner,,, very english friendly and the owner is always a good help.

Jonathan Pinero RE is a good bet.... his english is pretty good and he has lots of contacts. 787-948-6406.

Are you moving with your company???  I do CCT and RELO assistance if they pay ... I work with several companies and do a lot in Dorado.

Thanks a ton for your help!!!  I am moving with the military so they don't pay for assistance unfortunately.  We were down a few months ago and stayed at the Embassy Suites there and checked the area out a bit.  Any news on the golf course there?  Plans to re-open it?

Don't know about the progress of the golf course but the town homes on the property might be a good bet for you.. Very kid friendly.. Lots of play areas also very close to shopping.
Good luck and trust Presby.. They are OK!  There is also a woman's advocate office to help coordinate and schedule appointments.
Btw: there are 2 large private schools near Presby so 3 pm is a traffic nightmare in the area.

Thank you so much!!!

Also found out there is a provision now for the last name issue.  I'll try and post the info on that

Coastie743 wrote:

Thanks Dora!  We have looked into it quite a bit. My insurance pays for the birth and we will have to pay out of pocket for the private room which I hear is well worth it. Also we have already found a doula that we will hire to go to the hospital. We are looking at Ashford Presbyterian. We have some good recommendations on doctors and a doula. Thanks for sharing your experience! I've heard similar stories so hopefully we have taken steps to prevent some of the issues.

Good! Sounds like you will be fine then...If I had to have a baby in PR again I would go back to Ashford...people call it "El Presby"....I believe they are the only hospital with private birthing rooms.  If you have Tricare, a Doula, and a Private Room...you should be ok. I really didn't think it was going to be a big deal that I didn't have a doula or a private room but I think it would have made all the difference. Like I said money is the key here...my husband is a Disabled Combat Vet and while I was pregnant we were waiting for his compensation to start and I had to use the PR Gov Insurance....which I am grateful that at least I had that...I now thankfully have Champ VA.

Seriously...If you want to see rentals use classificadosonline.com you can search everything in your price range. We bought our home from Richard at Remax Dorado...he was great and a veteran too.

Thanks !  Good to hear!!