Is there a ban on certain dogs coming into Puerto Rico?

Hello everyone I need to find out if there was a ban on certain dogs coming into Puerto Rico I am on the mainland of United States from New York what are the rules about dogs coming  intoPuerto Rico

To my best knowledge the following races are banned:  American Staffordshire Terriers,  Staffordshire Terriers and all Pit Bulls.
I'd suggest to contact the airline you're planning to use.  Also see this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=397533

Call the USDA in Puerto Rico. They will tell you exactly what you need to know. I'm pretty sure Gary is right as well. I know they banned them when I lived there but an awful lot of them have turned up on the streets and the rescue organizations are picking them up. Maybe they relaxed the rules. Either that or some people found some clever ways to sneak them in.

GreggK wrote:

Call the USDA in Puerto Rico.

Here are the numbers:  (787) 766-6050 or (787) 766-6063

Hi Lulu822,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Puerto Rico forum in order to make it more visible to the eyes of the forumers. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

The Government keeps going back and forth on the "pitbull situation"; I am not sure what direction they're facing now, but  I've been told by many in the bizz (vets & rescue ppl); if you just state that your dog is a Sato (mongrel/mixed breed) that they'll just let it go... if pressed about what breeds the dog may be, just say, labrador, or hound dog, or something... there's nothing wrong with pitt bulls; it's irresponsible owners that should be banned!

All you have to do is check with the airlines. There is a travel restriction on Short-nosed (brachycephalic) dog breeds :

"Extra care is required when the following breeds travel because they often have hereditary respiratory problems. These animals are susceptible to increased risk of heat stroke and breathing problems when exposed to stress or extreme heat". http://www.united.com/

I think Pit Bulls and breeds considered more aggressive have to be in a reinforced crate. Anyway all you have to do is check the airlines websites or call because they are always changing their rules.

You think?

I'd say it is important to know what the government says at this moment. Just imagine you pay for the trip for the dog and they won't let it in...

Also, it would be nice if the OP would come back and tell what breed of dog she has. :D

Yes it would be helpful to know the breed she would like to ship. The airlines know what the rules are of the country you are shipping too....they are very strict. You could call whichever airline you are using on the PR side if you want local confirmation from PR...they are the ones that will receive your dog. We are lucky there is no quarantine here unlike Hawaii and other places. I have shipped three dogs to PR and it was an easy process just like shipping state to state although my dog's breed were not on the list. I did want a French Bulldog but did not buy one because of the travel restriction...remember if you buy a breed on the list you can not leave PR with it either. I honestly don't know about the Pit Bull Ban currently but I can guarantee you the airline is not going to let you ship a Pit Bull if its illegal. If Pit Bulls/Terriors are banned I think crossbreeds are also.

Thank you. Our baby is a mix and that what is o. His papers mix lab mutt

Thank you very much.  I greatly appreciate all you help   I do not want to leave my dog behind. He is well trained and our baby.  I would be heart broken if I could not take him

My dog is mixed  lab pit. Mutt sato