What are weekends like in Buraydah?

Hi!

This is my third weekend in Buraydah, and I am sick of just watching movies at home or going to the mall!!!!

Are there any suggestions for single women in Buraydah?

Most of my colleagues seem to either go off somewhere or stay on the compound.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hi

Buraidah means boring, no activities i know , what to suggest you  :) come to Jeddah or go outside KSA  :dumbom:

Newzealander in Buraida ?,,,, all the best,

Anyohaseyo  :)  No one comes to Saudi for the social life or culture! You'll find a bit, here and there, but it's pretty thin on the ground. So you have to make the best of what resources you have. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to cook fish & chips (fush an' chups in New Zealandish), but my baked salmon, roast lamb and and cannelloni are really good, now. I'm reading some really interesting books about European history, also I'm now a regular on IMDb. One other thing I do regularly is wonder which holiday I'll spend my ill-gotten gains on next.

haha! Thanks for the rays of hope Full Monty!
I've only been here for 2 weeks and already my cooking skills have increased considerably :)
AND I've already booked a weekend getaway to Bahrain so I'd say I'm on the right track haha

Bahrain' nice. Dubai's better !

hi
tack weekend in Riyadh or go to bahrain
also i can help you
:cool:

slee437 wrote:

I am sick of just watching movies at home or going to the mall!!!!

Try watching a movie in the mall.   Ya' know...at the Samsung/TV shop....just find a place to get comfy and pull out your popcorn.   just kidding  :p

Seriously tho, I hope your time gets better.  :)

안전 유지

~ReLLeK

If you make it to Jeddah: 

The Korean restaurant "Ariyang" serves good meals and has "doenjang" and "gochujang" for sale in bulk.

Also, among the Asian shops downtown there is some freshly made kimchi to be found.

Just like Ajjuma used to make.  ;)

Breakfast buffet at the movenpick, then lounge around the pool, read a book, and use the gym until the malls open after Asr.

Most. Places in Saudi your choice is stay home watch tv and eat .or go to malls. That's reality. Wait til you have been here 20 years

Count how many weekends are left until you get paid next

hahaha! thanks for the encouraging replies!!!

haha! might try that out of sheer boredom!

that actually sounds like a higher quality version of life on the compound...... :(

I m also looking for an answer of same question.I m currently living here at buraydah for 8 months and i ve been doing same as u did for 8 months  :) watching movie is irrevocable activities to do :) i just can wish u have a goodluck here :):D

Hi
Need to get a group together and find someone on the compound for a BBQ !

In Riyadh we got together at the compound restaurant on Thursday nights, went on Hash in the desert on Fridays and went to different restaurants in the city on Mondays. Some weekends went to Jeddah for diving.

Hello everyone,

Some off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. Please note that the forum should not be used as a chatroom.

Members are invited to share relevant infos on the topic.

slee437 wrote:

Hi!

This is my third weekend in Buraydah, and I am sick of just watching movies at home or going to the mall!!!!

Are there any suggestions for single women in Buraydah?

Most of my colleagues seem to either go off somewhere or stay on the compound.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Weekend suggestions--if you're still in Buraydah, visit me! I don't live on the compound and it's hard to find other women here.

I would meet with you girls, if do not mind ;)

Ok.
Where abouts are you in Buraydah snd how do I contact you?

Ok.
How do I contact you

Send me a message on the site. I can only meet up with other women, though. If you're a family then maybe. I'm hoping to find someone to celebrate Thanksgiving with.

Yes thanksgiving will be  a good idea.
What is required for the meal(turkey?).

Again, because I'm female, I can only really hang out with women.

Thanksgiving meals generally include turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, and things like that. The important thing is being with your family, though.

Ok.
Its been difficult to socialize since I have been Buraydah.

In Riyadh I was in a compound we went out on desert walks every Friday. Had Thursday retaurant night. Plenty of BBQs Evenings out for dinnet in the city etc

Are you a teacher?

Yeah, I teach at a smaller girl's school.

Its interesting that you would give up your life in USA to teach in the Kingdom.

For South Africans , teachers are not paid very well. So its an opportunity to explore and earn extra cash.

By the way you are the first western person I have spoken to in Buraydah.
I went  to Riyadh one weekend to visit some of my old friends.

I've wanted to do this for a long time; I've been interested in the culture, and this felt like a cultural center for the region--and had a lot of job opportunities!

The other teachers in my program are expats, though mostly 1st or 2nd generation immigrants to the US or UK. There aren't many of us, though, and I'm finding that much as I want to meet people here, I also need people who're at least (kind of) from home!

I agree.

This is why the western expats tend to stick together to socialize with people who have something in common with you.

By the way I have lived , been to school and worked in the USA.

I enjoyed my time in Riyadh because I had western expat friends.

The thing that we need to do is find a contact in the western compound in Buraydah and join their activities and get to know a group of people. You will see that your whole experience in the Kingdom changes as you go out as a group to different place. I have scenery photos just outside Riyadh that will amaze you.

Are you still in Buraydah?

Trying to get a group together in Buraydah.

What we most need, I think, is either some sort of contact on the compound, or a married couple or two. I'm not 100% sure on the rules here, but I'd prefer to play it safe, and I think without those we'd have to keep it to girls-only or guys-only.