Public holidays

Hi

I have a list of public holidays in Bali but wonder if in Jakarta there are additional dates, and wether the Balinese Day of sSlence is also celebrated in Jakarta.

Thanks

The day of silence is totally ignored in Jakarta, and most of Indonesia.

Hi, thanks

But it is still a public holiday in JKT, right?

Are there any local public holidays that apply only to JKT or its region, and not to the rest of the country?

It is and coming up soon, but I forget the date.
It's a day off for most, but that's what it's treated as, not a religious event.
Of course, some observe it in the city, but it must be really hard work in all that mess and noise.

The rest are all national holidays, except the odd election and so on.
All the usual Christian and Muslim holidays, plus a few extras for the minority religions.

But do offices and factories close on all the religious holidays(Buddhist/Moslem/Hindu/Christian, etc)?

"It is and coming up soon, but I forget the date."

It's already past Fred...March 21.  Nyepi that is.

Hi

I'm talking in general regarding all annual holidays, not tahta one in particular

Ubudian wrote:

"It is and coming up soon, but I forget the date."

It's already past Fred...March 21.  Nyepi that is.

Sorry, confused with May day.
Lazy people such as my good self never remember.

As for public offices and so on, they mostly close, but shops remain open in Jakarta.
Roy can tell you what happens in Bali.

May day as a public holiday is rather new.  With three kids in school, from where I sit, there are already way too many holidays here!   :lol:

Here's a worthless piece of trivia for you:

Indonesia, the most populated Muslim country on the planet, has more Christian holidays that are national holidays than predominantly Christian USA.  Here in Indonesia, Accession Thursday is a national holiday...but in the US, it isn't.  This means 4 Christian holidays for Indonesia...3 for the USA. 

Go figure!   :/