No $$$ - better not even think of living here.

Wherever you live you will have challenges/problems. That is the way it is.
Having been in LOS, I know a little cf to the newcomer ie fools paradise.

My personal experience is that being >50yo is a big advantage re visa.
No $$$ - better not even think of living here.
Why?
Employment restrictions - teaching English pays poorly in the Nth.
A business - in your Thai partner's name generally=potential problems.

Good luck to the risk takers.

There are many advantages living in Thailand. In the US (yes I had a job then) my rent was $3000 a month, now it's $300. Food costs are cut in half here. I had a car in the US - gas and insurance - here I ride a bicycle, or spend 60 cents on a songtaew. My phone cost me $100 a month with AT&T. Now its $6 at 7-11. Great place to retire on savings.  The biggest problem here for a single man is the attraction to a Thai woman. Once you go down that road, it negates all your saving efforts. Don't even think about it unless you have lots of money. There are creative ways to buy property and get in business according to my Thai Attorney, but most farangs think they have to marry or have a Thai business partner, which is more often than not a big mistake. If anything is in a Thai persons name, its theres. When they say goodbye, you have to leave. I rented a house last year, signed a lease, put down 100,000 baht, and once she had the money, I was out. That's why I got the Thai Attorney. But he couldn't get my money back. She lied and because she's Thai and I'm not, they believed her. You have to always watch your back when it comes to money in Thailand. But I still love it here.

Dakan

I may well know you from CNX.
Your name (Thai) rings  bell.
My recollection is that we chatted about Thai women - a very popular topic here. I wonder why.

You are a writer?

Chok dee, Kuhn Dakan

re: fang37: Yes, I write fiction novels. And I've had a few conversations about Thai women. Even wrote a non-fiction book on the topic, but its probably one nobody will want to read. It's subtitled: What to know before you drop your pants and blow your wad in Thailand.  haha

I have a series of 11 books called The Shambala Chronicles, wanting to be best sellers. I spend hours every day in some old city cafe writing. It's one thing I love about Chiang Mai. Great Cafes. At the ones I most frequent, I only have to walk in the door, and open my laptop. They bring me the same coffee and same breakfast, without ordering. I try to meet people. I have been traveling down south this month, and its hard to meet people. Tourists seem to be lost in their worlds. But in Chiang Mai there are so many ex-pats. When it looks like we're going to the same cafe, we finally meet and talk.

I'm in the process of looking to move to another home in Chiang Mai. Actually, I've been looking for 3 years. It's always about what I want and what I'm willing to pay. I like paying 10,000 baht, but I really do have 40,000 baht tastes. That's why I'm looking to share a bigger house with someone.

Hello

@fang37 : Kindly note that a new thread has been created by your post and responses you received as you were getting off topic on the intial thread on which you participated. The ''New members...'' thread is only for presentation of new members.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I read the posts and sorry I have to disagree about some points. For business you can have foreigner shares more than Thais which is not against the law. You loose out in certain benefits. Don't be mistaken as some Thais are not lawyers but people who knows the common laws to certain extend only. Go to a reputable lawyer if you are investing lots of money. There is Pre-nuptial agreement that a lawyer can do for you. Thus you are protected as tha Thai lady cannot take all from you. 1 thing you need to know is "take care" which most Thai ladies have in their mind; heart and blood. To make it simple is "No money, No honey." Ask yourself, if you are jobless in any country, can you survive or have a honey?