Uk driving licence changes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

anyone coming to Malta and who intend to hire a care will need to be aware of this

robpw2 wrote:

anyone coming to Malta and who intend to hire a care will need to be aware of this

I doubt it will change anything, I've hired cars loads of times in Malta and other places in southern Europe and every time I hand over the paper counterpart, the check-in agent hands it back to me saying it's not needed. Some of them actually look at me as if I'm mad - "What the hell is that??"

robpw2 wrote:

Its very exaggerated, I have never had to show my paper part on any car hire in Europe or the USA/Canada.

In fact Malta is one of the only (I think) other EU countries using the new EU  format that issue a two part licence.
(Some eastern European countries have a passport style licence).

Terry

robpw2 wrote:

Just wondering why anyone would want to hire a care ? Would a car not be better ?  :D

in 2002 I had to show my paper counterpart to hire a Harley Davidson in Kos (Greece) but as the AA says in the article not all hire companies in all countries require it but I think, for what it is worth, the Police will want to see it (or the new code) if you are pulled over

redders_61 wrote:

in 2002 I had to show my paper counterpart to hire a Harley Davidson in Kos (Greece) but as the AA says in the article not all hire companies in all countries require it but I think, for what it is worth, the Police will want to see it (or the new code) if you are pulled over

The police in other EU  countries would not know its required, so why would they ask?

Police in the UK know its no longer required so will not be interested.

The "code" is being provided so that hire car companies can check on how many points / endorsements are on your licence.

The UK government / DVLA  have said in their statement the following  " However, the code is not an official requirement "

so the whole thing is a bit of nonsense.

Terry

The biggest problem I have in hiring a car in Europe is the fact that I don't use Credit Cards, Avis UK are fine with a Debit Card, Avis Malta won't accept unless I take out extra daily insurance at over 20 euros a day!  ( I use Mayjo in Gozo with no problems at all )

I assume that I will have to supply a 'code' to TM when my licence renewal comes up at the end of the year.
When I asked about changing my licence when we moved here in 2012 they simply said 'wait till it runs out'

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

The biggest problem I have in hiring a car in Europe is the fact that I don't use Credit Cards, Avis UK are fine with a Debit Card, Avis Malta won't accept unless I take out extra daily insurance at over 20 euros a day!  ( I use Mayjo in Gozo with no problems at all )

I assume that I will have to supply a 'code' to TM when my licence renewal comes up at the end of the year.
When I asked about changing my licence when we moved here in 2012 they simply said 'wait till it runs out'

Ray

No code required when  change to a EU Maltese licence as your old licence is sent back to the UK  and checked to see if it is valid. Keep  a photo copy of your licence, TM give you a receipt and notify you when your new one ( two part) is ready for collection.

Terry.

tearnet wrote:
redders_61 wrote:

The police in other EU  countries would not know its required, so why would they ask?

Police in the UK know its no longer required so will not be interested.

The "code" is being provided so that hire car companies can check on how many points / endorsements are on your licence.

The UK government / DVLA  have said in their statement the following  " However, the code is not an official requirement "

so the whole thing is a bit of nonsense.

Terry

oh ok fair point. I have mine in a drawer but no money now to hire anything, might have a go on a quad in 2016 if I can con them mine is a car licence lol