Madame X in Manabí Province Needs Meds and Fast

I returned home from the Exxxxxxx's event in Quito and received a PM from Madame X in Manabí Province late Saturday night.  She needs gout medicine daily but can't find it.

She's been in Ecuador only three weeks and does not want to return to the United States over this issue.  She is an Expat.com member, although Madame X is not her posting name.

I suggest that she try to find her meds by contacting or visiting pharmacies in major cities such as Quito or Guayaquil.

She did not state the name of the medicine, and I have PM'd her back to find it out.  Either she will post it on this thread, or I will when I have the information.

Any other advice from forum participants?

cccmedia in Quito

I recommend a Google search as there are many natural remedies for gout like apple cider vinegar, ginger root, baking soda, lemon juice, epsom salts etc.
Try these websites; www.top10homeremedies.comwww.earthclinic.com

allopurinol is one of the main pharm choices and has been around for awhile and is pretty common so she should be able to find it in Quito. Also she should look up the diet. Maybe she is eating some of the foods that exacerbate symptoms

Sue!   :par:

Thought you disappeared Sue? Back and interested in Ecuador again? Or just here to stir up some trouble as usual? :D

Times have been tough for Sue. I'd rather have her here posting fighting words, than not posting at all.

I am always afraid of the day I just don't want to fight any more.....

Some spicklittle keeps the spirit in shape.

Not sure if this is still an issue, but thought I would tell you how my husband handles his meds here.  We live in manta and he has a 10 year kidney transplant, his only functioning kidney.  He sees occasionally a nephrologist who is the head at hospital metropolitano in Quito. The Dr there writes his prescriptions 1 in Spanish and 1 in English.  He takes many meds and 2 anti rejection meds twice a day.  One of the reasons why we moved here.  They're not available in manta and very expensive in Quito.  He orders them from a Canadian pharmacy who sources through a pharmacy in India.  Don't be alarmed as the US meds are also manufactured in India.  They also have generics in India that of course are not allowed in the States.  He orders every 2 months, as you are allowed to bring in 60 days worth of meds.  Initially we shipped through the local post office but ran into some customs issues there that our attorney handled for us with a notarized letter.  However, the delays were insane.  So he ships through DHL from India.  At first it took a bit for them to understand he couldn't get them here in manta and that they are a matter of life or death.  The caveat is that there has to be a stamped paid invoice in the box along with a copy of his Ecuadorean prescription.  The box is opened every time by customs here, but DHL knows where we live now and we have no problems.  They even pay the customs fees up front.  So we pay the online $45 fee plus a small amount of duty.  The guy at the Indian pharmacy puts a lower amount paid invoice in the box than we actually pay for the meds that drastically reduces the taxes.  For delivery from customs in Ecuador to our house in manta, which is routed to DHL in GYE, we pay about $60.  The cost of the meds are less than a third in the US and less than half than Quito.  So you can get meds here if they don't have them.  That's been our experience with that.  The more common meds we buy locally.