Finding it hard to learn French.

Hi,

Sat here wondering if I am the only person finding it hard to learn French.

Does anyone have any advice for improving my confidence and stop shying away from speaking French?

hopefully shortly I will be spending some time being totally immersed in a French only speaking environment.

regards,

Jason

Jason,

My experience is that immersion is the only way to go.  My wife and kids are bilingual so when I am out and about with them they do a lot of translating for me, but when I'm out by myself I have to make do and I manage even if my grammar is appalling!  Try and revel in the little victories in comprehension (both yours and the people you are trying to talk to), it is hard but doesn't have to be miserable if you concentrate and build on what you can do not wat you can't.

Stephen

Thanks mate :D

For learning French (not so much speaking) have you listened to RFI's "Easy French news"? See "Journal en français facile" here: http://www1.rfi.fr/lfen/statiques/accueil.asp

As an educator with a teaching career (ESL) that has spanned over 28 years now, and as someone who learned the Portuguese language at the age of 51 before coming to Brazil over 13 years ago; I can tell you that everyone here is correct when they say that immersion is the only way to go. I created my own near immersion in the language before coming here and it put me lightyears ahead of where I would have been had I not done so.

Any exposure to the French language in both its written and spoken form will aid in your growing process. Find French language news articles, magazines and texts online. Listen to French language music and watch movies on DVD with audio in French only and no subtitles the first viewing, watch again with both audio and subtitles in French to catch what you missed. Find the French community where you live and become a part of it, make new friends within that community. You'll find your language skills will improve by leaps and bounds.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Many thanks for your advice, I will certainly do what's been suggested.

J.

Hello!!

i am a native and qualified french teacher, i ve taught french in England and in Brazil for more than 10 years and i am now back to France. I m starting my freelance compagny to teach french online. It s actually working quite well and the students are really satisfy. My first hour is free and then you pay 25 euros for 1h30 (thats the minimum required per week). If you are interested, let me know!

kind regards,

emilie

Yeah, stop watching the footy on the telly! :)

lol cheers

I have exactly the same problem..i find that french is a hard language and am shying away too.

Don't worry you will get there, I speak French and English fluently so if you need advice do not hesitate ;)