Estimated Costs of Living in Muscat

Hi All,

I plan to move to Muscat within the next couple months and was trying to estimate a monthly budget for myself and my family (wife and child less than 1 years old). I've posted my table below - I'd appreciate any thoughts on the numbers (whether they're too high or too low) and any suggestions on the unfilled cells in my table.

I'd plan to live in Azaibah or Qurum. Car rental would be a 4x4 SUV

Description                             "Cost per month (Omani Riyal)"
Monthly                   Rent - 3 to 4 bedroom villa                    1,300.00
Monthly                   Gas                                                     10.00
Monthly                   Electric                                             10.00
Monthly                   Water                                             10.00
Monthly                   Home Telephone                             20.00
Monthly                   Home Internet                                     25.00
Monthly                   Local Cell Phone   
Monthly                   International Cell Phone   
Monthly                   Car Rental                                     200.00
Monthly                   Car Insurance                                         250.00
Monthly                   Gas for Car                                         30.00
Monthly                   Groceries                                             100.00
Monthly                   Diapers and Baby Food                         20.00
Monthly                   Home Supplies                                         75.00
Monthly                   Entertainment/Nights out                         50.00
Monthly                   Maid   
One Time                   Appliances                                     1,000.00
One Time                   Living Room Furniture                         400.00
One Time                   Bedroom Furniture                                 400.00
Monthly                   Gym Membership - Intercontinental         275.83
Monthly                   Non-covered Health Costs                 30.00

Hello oaktas

To be able to compare the cost of living with the figures in your table, please browse through threads in our Cost of living in Muscat section of the forum to gather as much info as possible.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi oaktas,

Have tried to help you out with my comments against your cost per item list below :

Description                             "Cost per month (Omani Riyal)"
Monthly                   Rent - 3 to 4 bedroom villa                    1,300.00 (√)
Monthly                   Gas                                                     10.00 (a replacement gas cylinder costs R.O. 3/- and it would last easily for a few months for a small family)
Monthly                   Electric                                             10.00 (for a villa in summer the bill would come to about about 50% more)
Monthly                   Water                                             10.00 (same as above)
Monthly                   Home Telephone                             20.00 (depends on your usage)
Monthly                   Home Internet                                     25.00 (depends on your usage. 150 GB downloads cost about R.O. 33/month)
Monthly                   Local Cell Phone                (depends on your usage)
Monthly                   International Cell Phone            (same as above)
Monthly                   Car Rental                                     200.00 (√, also would depend on the type of vehicle you rent)
Monthly                   Car Insurance                                         250.00  (√)
Monthly                   Gas for Car                                         30.00 (√, again would depend on your usage really, but this would be affair assessment for average usage)
Monthly                   Groceries                                             100.00 (would be fine for a small family)
Monthly                   Diapers and Baby Food                         20.00  (would cost about 25% more than this)
Monthly                   Home Supplies                                         75.00 (not sure what you mean by this)
Monthly                   Entertainment/Nights out                         50.00 (generally reasonable, but would vary depending on the frequency, venue, etc)
Monthly                   Maid    (a part-time would cost about R.O. 50/- per month and full-time about R.O. 250/- to R.O. 200/- per month – again is dependent on the maid's nationality, visa status, etc).
One Time                   Appliances                                    1,000.00 (fair assessment)
One Time                   Living Room Furniture                         400.00 (could cost more)
One Time                   Bedroom Furniture                                 400.00  (fair assessment)
Monthly                   Gym Membership - Intercontinental         275.83  (√, but frequent offers and deals get announced)
Monthly                   Non-covered Health Costs                 30.00 (perhaps, not sure what you mean).

Thank you Sumitran, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I will use these to better understand what I should be expecting to spend on a monthly basis.

Hey oaktas, guessing the buffalo listed under your name is the one in WNY? My wife is from there and we visit often. We live in Houston now, but are moving to Muscat in the next couple of months. Also with baby in tow. Small world.

Just waiting like everyone else for immigration procedures. Also looking at Azaiba, for proximity to TAISM.

Talk to you later.

Since you are just wife and husband and a young kid then all you need is a two bedroom, but .  . . . . of course you know better
Location matters a lot; rent something which is close to your work place.

Description                             "Cost per month (Omani Riyal)"
Monthly                   Rent - 3 to 4 bedroom villa               750.00
Monthly                   Gas                                                    10.00
Monthly                   Electric                                               15.00
Monthly                   Water                                                 15.00
Monthly                   Home Telephone                                20.00 (internet included)
Monthly                   Home Internet                                     0.00
Monthly                   Local Cell Phone                               10.00
Monthly                   International Cell Phone                    15.00
Monthly                   Car Rental                                        200.00
Monthly                   Car Insurance                                     25.00
Monthly                   Gas for Car                                         30.00
Monthly                   Groceries                                          100.00
Monthly                   Diapers and Baby Food                      20.00
Monthly                   Home Supplies                                    25.00
Monthly                   Entertainment/Nights out                     70.00
Monthly                   Maid                                                   125.00
One Time                Appliances                                         500.00 (U can always find an apt. or villa with appliances)
One Time                Living Room Furniture                       400.00
One Time                Bedroom Furniture                             400.00
Monthly                   Gym Membership - Intercontinental   275.83
Monthly                   Non-covered Health Costs                 30.00
Last edited by oaktas (25 April 2015 19:06:58)

This budget can still vary by +/- 20% depending on the person.