Opening Bank Account for my father - Fixed Deposit

I was going through some of the banks in Bahrain to open a bank account !
As a Resident of Saudi Arabia for my father !

A FD of 5000 BD has to be made for visa application "Self Sponsorship"

Anyways , some of the banks told me the applicant has to be present in Bahrain to open a bank account !
Can't I open a bank account for my father ?

Any suggestions ?

hey gunner757,

i have seen on several occasions that the bank insists that the person be present when opening an account. You should try this go to the bank speak to a personal banker and request him/her for the same, hopefully they will agree.

good luck
T&R

Its normal that the person have to be present when you open a bank account, not matter where you live. They have to check your passport if you are the same on the passport and you have to sign the papers.

Maybe this will works: ask your father to make a signed statement that he gives you (with name, day of birth etcetera) the permission to open a bank account on his behalf. Include a copy of his passport with his signature.

Gunner - I checked with some trusted bankers (you know who). They confirmed that the person has to be present in person to open bank accounts. Primadonna's suggestion is the only way out - get yourself a Power of Attorney from your father and then open the bank account on his behalf.

Please check this with a lawyer - from what I know, for the Power of Attorney to be valid in Bahrain, it has to be registered at the Contract Registry - situated in the ground floor of the GOSI complex.

Thanks all for the replies !

I have one doubt , is only HSBC ready to open bank accounts without having a Bahraini CPR and just accepting the Saudi Residency Permit  ?