Moving to VN to work. Can I bring My cars back with tax Exemption?

Hello,

I was born in VN and left Vietnam when I was 16.   I am Currently Canadian and I think I can get Vietnamese passport easily.  People tell me I can apply to have my Dual citizenship.   I am having an offer to come back to VN to work for my same company.   I know people have to pay crazy tax for car in VN.   I was told I can bring my car back to VN without paying the crazy 100+++% tax.   Is it true?   What are the requirement?    If I don't ship my car back, can I buy one with same tax exemption?

Thank you in advance,

Have you ever driven in VN before???

I ride motor bike.   If I am going to move there for longer term, like it or not I will need to face the fear and drive I would say :-)).    I know what you mean about how crazy the way people drive there.

Movinghome123 wrote:

I ride motor bike.   If I am going to move there for longer term, like it or not I will need to face the fear and drive I would say :-)).    I know what you mean about how crazy the way people drive there.

It's not the fear you have to face, it's all the other idiots on the road and if you accidentally injure or kill one, it will cost you a LOT of money, that's the main reason why I wouldn't even consider driving a car here, ( as much as my wife harps on about buying a car ).

IC.   Is there not auto insurrance to cover you for this?  I was told auto insurrance to not as bad as pricing go and I guess they won't cover you for this?

Thank you for your feedback.

Movinghome123 wrote:

IC.   Is there not auto insurrance to cover you for this?  I was told auto insurance to not as bad as pricing go and I guess they won't cover you for this?

Thank you for your feedback.

Don't know about car insurance, but all m/bikes are SUPPOSED to be insured, ( 3rd party injury , very cheap, buy from servo's, used to be only about $4 ), but sounds like not worth much, I've heard of a few people, ( VN's included ), who have paid $thousands to " victims ",  a Foreigner can get hit for up to $US 40 k--$50k in the result of a death, ( and with a Foreigner, it doesn't matter who's fault it is ).

bluenz wrote:

It's not the fear you have to face, it's all the other idiots on the road and if you accidentally injure or kill one, it will cost you a LOT of money, that's the main reason why I wouldn't even consider driving a car here, ( as much as my wife harps on about buying a car ).

The taxi and truck drivers must be loaded with cash then, or they're just a bunch of sub-human degenerates that operate without any fear of punishment, should they injure/maim/kill somebody.

Make sure and equip your car with an industrial sized air-horn.  Your neighbors are sure to be blown away.

With a work permit you can bring one in for your own personal use

Hi Pete,

I'm moving to HCMC at the end of the year, and I'm considering bring in my car. I'm a Chinese national but is sent to Vietnam from the USA. I will be obtaining a work permit as an expat.

Would you elaborate on your comment? How much would the duty be?

Thanks!

Its no duty if you are using it for own personal use. My colleagues have done it but i have not been bothered to find out partly because I cant bring one back from the UK...we drive on the left ;) You can only bring one...But i believe once you sale the vehicle, it would then be taxable though I am unsure whos  liable the buyer or seller.

I really have no idea why anyone would want to have a car here. I'm not talking about the paperwork, tax, parking and all that other stuff you have to deal with. I'm talking about the hassle of actually driving. I mean, get road rage just being driven around.  I can only think the people asking have never been here before or just want to impress someone. Not to mention you can hire a car & driver for $300 a month to drive you around 24/7.

To answer you OP's question. Needs to be a newer car (I think not older than 3 years), 100% tax, a lot of paperwork, and they still might not give it to you after you get here. I remember a year or two ago there were hundreds of cars sitting on cargo ships because the expats didn't have the money to pay the tax. I guess someone "told" them they wouldn't have to pay too. The shipping companies ended up eating the freight to return the cars.

Adhome01 wrote:

I really have no idea why anyone would want to have a car here. I'm not talking about the paperwork, tax, parking and all that other stuff you have to deal with. I'm talking about the hassle of actually driving. I mean, get road rage just being driven around.  I can only think the people asking have never been here before or just want to impress someone. Not to mention you can hire a car & driver for $300 a month to drive you around 24/7.

To answer you OP's question. Needs to be a newer car (I think not older than 3 years), 100% tax, a lot of paperwork, and they still might not give it to you after you get here. I remember a year or two ago there were hundreds of cars sitting on cargo ships because the expats didn't have the money to pay the tax. I guess someone "told" them they wouldn't have to pay too. The shipping companies ended up eating the freight to return the cars.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you may not be able to sell the car here, so you have to take it back with you if you leave, anyone else hear about this?( you can't sell a m/b imported , so i would imagine it will be the same for cars? )
You can calculate the tax from this link, but it's 2013.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … VGMVaZa8Gg

As a person who drives a car in Haboi daily I would say its not that difficult, second.. If you have license and you can proof it was bot your fault, (other was not following rules or etc. ) they cant pin it on you.

Wald0 wrote:

As a person who drives a car in Haboi daily I would say its not that difficult, second.. If you have license and you can proof it was bot your fault, (other was not following rules or etc. ) they cant pin it on you.

Not following the "rules ", what " rules "??? hahaha  VN's will always back each other up, obviously you have been extremely lucky so far. But I've never driven in Haboi before. Wait until you injure one of them.

Believe me.. there are rules.. but sure not many follow them, BUT.. if they get hurt because they did not follow the rules then be sure that I will not be giving any money. Sure they can ask money if they want, but just get police on the scene and you're fine. (well, better know Vietnamese or get help to translate.)

and yes, if you don't have a license you are guilty, and pretty much screwed. so get the license.

I had a motorcycle slam to my rear door, and driver gone past passenger window upside down..
I came out and oddly no damage to the car! so I shout that moron for a while and then told him to go away.

And I live in Hanoi. I swear this new iphone 6 has something wrong never had this much typos before ;)

Foreigners are not always picked by police, sometimes they can drive to radar 120/40 and get their license and papers back, while Vietnamese (110/40&90/40) had to give license and pay the fines.. (Fines not bribes as they was not accepted in Da Lat ;)