Is a Immigration Agent worth the money? SA to NZ

Hi There,

My husband and I have made the decision to move to NZ (I have family in Auckland).  Our best plan is to come over on holiday and look for work and then apply for a work visa once we have a job offer.   We will try and get a job first but it seems to be next to impossible from SA.  My husband is in IT and I am currently in marketing.

We have been to a few seminars with immigration agents but they are quoting R110 000 for their fees alone.  We are happy to pay but only if it is worth it.    From what I have seen via the NZ immigration site the main thing is really making sure we have all our papers in order before we move but I may be wrong.

Has anyone used immigration agents before or is there any advice that you can offer.

Thanks
Emma
:)

In most cases agents don't do much that you couldn't do yourself if you're willing to take the time necessary to do it and to research the processes involved. You will find that Expat-blog will help you greatly in this, since you will be able to post your questions regading expatriation, visas, etc., to the forum and get all kinds of useful feedback from other members who've gone through or are going through the same process. You're going to get "real time" current information that may not even be available to many agents, especially those who don't deal with NZ issues often. The New Zealand Consulate-General in your country is the logical place to start for information.

What you're paying for, in most cases, with agents is their knowledge of how to deal with unexpected complications. That's fine if you have some issues that will complicate your visa application, if you don't then my opinion is that you should try to go it on your own and only contract an agent if you find it just too much for you to handle.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello Emma,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I would suggest you have read through the Living in New Zealand guide where there are quite a few handy information ;)

I wish you good luck in your endeavours :top:

Cheers

Mishna

@Emmajane

I totally agree with James. Agents will always be the winners as there is never any guarantee that they will get you a visa so win or lose, you pay.
Best to do it yourself. And please read through the living in NZ guide that Mishna recommended. Also take the time to read through other posts in the forum categories section on the right hand side of this page.

Good luck.

Thanks Everyone for your advice and reassurance  :top:

I have spent alot of time now researching (thanks Mishna that website was very helpful) and we are going to try it ourselves.  Anyway the worse thing that can happen is that we can always get a immigration agent later if we really get stuck.

It is a bit nerve wracking just packing up and moving to the other side of the world without work but I am sure it will be worth it.  James you are correct in terms of this site been very helpful and I am sure it will be able to answer alot of my questions going forward- Stumpy, I will read through everything and previous posts.

Thanks and looking forward to the move :)

@Emmajane.

I understand why you want to leave SA as I have SA friends who are looking to do so or are in the process of. 
Good luck and do keep us in the loop as any information may be of assistance to others.

Do not "just pack up" and move to NZ without any work: not unless you are very independently wealthy.  Jobs are not easy to find: certainly not positions that  pay a liveable wage. Do your research! It is very expensive to live here: cost of living is easily 40 percent higher than the USA. I'm here for my autistic  son or I wouldn't be. 30,000 kiwi's leave annually. Foreign students get no jobs!

I get very frustrated hearing innocent people falling into the public relations of  NZ immigration brokers. Weather here is sub tropic: Not tropic! That means with no central heating and little to no insulation: houses/apartments are cold and damp! Maybe if u go to bars for entertainment -and are willing to spend lots for drinks- you'll be okay.  NZ drinks- a lot. Depression is high. Food is high

my kiwi born neighbours don't travel NZ-they go to free local beaches and that's it. Cinema for 2 can cost up to $40.-50 - think 2x - kiwi's are polite true- they are also -prejudice ...

Hallo, must agree with the advice the previous blogger wrote, it is not the land of milk and honey as the image put about by these immigration agents, from some third world countries NZ is a major improvement in their standard of living but we have just had the coldest winter we can remember inside our house and we come from the UK!, it is lagged in the roof and under the floor but like the  majority of houses in NZ the walls are uninsulated and very thin!, our house consists of 1 layer of thin oamaru stone about 50mm /60mm thick then wooden studding and then either  sheets of plasterboard or in some of our rooms hardboard and ours is regarded as a modern house constructed in the 70s.  double glazing is just starting to come into common practice for new builds and can be retro fitted but at a hell of a cost. so don't be under any illusion most NZ houses are poorly constructed and insulated by European/American standards. They are improving though as all new houses have to reach a certain standard now by law. but you will pay through the nose for 1. So come on over but unless you live at the top of the North island bring your woollies!. As for costs I had 4 teeth out and it cost me about NZ $500. Like most countries you pay to see the doctor about $50 a time but you never have to wait for a appointment there`s always vacancies!, I wonder why.