A Muslim Indonesian woman looking for a job in London

Hi, I'm Sarah Rahman. I'm an Indonesian and considering to find a job in London so I can move there with my fiance.
now I live in Jakarta and I'm a university teacher at a private university here.
I'm looking for a suitable job for a "newbie" like me.
I've trying to apply some kind of job vacancies via LinkedIn but still get no answer.
I really appreciate for any kind of job information that I may need. thanks :)

Hello Sarah
Please try these links
https://www.cv-library.co.uk/http://www.indeed.co.uk/

I believe these are famous job webs here in the UK and recommended from local employment organizations

All the best

It is illegal for you to work in the UK and you put yourself at great risk of being horribly exploited. Your only chance is if you have a very rare skill needed by a university - what do you teach?

It doesnt matter if you are muslim or not if you have the skills. Most company wont give you a working visa unless you got a skill they really need and different story if you are coming here with a spouse visa, work is hard to find but its there. Are you coming with a spouse visa or looking to find a job to be able to apply for a working visa?

I'm looking to find a job to be able to apply for a working visa, this is my first plan. I know, it ain't that easy even if I already had a master degree (my Indonesia Degree isn't recognized in UK), had some work experiences.
so will it be "easier" if I move there as a dependent spouse?

Yes, in my opinion, it's far easier moving on a spouse visa, then later on searching for work, rather than attempt to get a work-visa. The requirements for a spouse visa is a lot easier to meet than one for work (unless it's a skill in very high-demand).

ya I've read on gov.uk about applying a spouse visa and they need an approval that we've lived together for 2 years, but we're not living together.
he'll come to Jakarta this Sept, maybe if we can get married here it would be easier to get the spouse visa.

miawmeaw wrote:

ya I've read on gov.uk about applying a spouse visa and they need an approval that we've lived together for 2 years, but we're not living together.
he'll come to Jakarta this Sept, maybe if we can get married here it would be easier to get the spouse visa.

Can you copy & paste that part that says you must of lived together for 2 years? I've never heard of that. Must be a new requirement, if indeed it's one. But I doubt it. I know people who received their spouse-visa without having lived together at all. They got married abroad, and their partner did the visa for them when they returned back.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/docume … st-provide

really?
oh it's such a good news for me because we're not living together now. he works in London right now.
so tell me, if I have a visa for visit and get married there, is it possible?
anyway thanks a lot for your help :)

miawmeaw wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/documents-you-must-provide

really?
oh it's such a good news for me because we're not living together now. he works in London right now.
so tell me, if I have a visa for visit and get married there, is it possible?
anyway thanks a lot for your help :)

marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate or proof that you've lived together for 2 years if unmarried

That's only if not married, then you would have to show proof that you have lived together. So it won't apply to someone who is married (and you intend to get married).

I don't believe it's possible to get married here when you're on a tourist-visa. There is a fiance visa. But I suspect the spouse-visa is the best option.

You need to be married and prove that you have a real relationship. That involves a physical relationship not just emails.
You don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a work visa.
You could apply for a fiancée visa, but you probably wouldn't get it as you don't have any real relationship.

For a spouse visa - the UK national has to have a salary of iver £18,000.

Finally I lived in Indonesia and know your country very well. Many Indonesian women make the mistake of marrying moslims from other parts of the world and have no idea of the hell they are getting into.

I think it's £18,600 & and over. Anyway, he's visiting, so that means it's not just e-mails. And he's Italian. She's well-educated, so I'm pretty sure she's confident in her decision.

There is like some kind of fiancée visa.. then you can switch to spouse visa here:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
"You're engaged

You must prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK.

You won't be able to work during your engagement."

Not really worth it, its better to get married in Indonesia then get spouse visa rather than paying twice for visa, my sister in law tried this and got rejected. Its harder to prove that you are in a genuine relationship.

How do you know he's Italian and visiting as that isn't said in this thread?
It is I believe £18,600 my £18k was just approx.

Finally you state "she's educated and therefore confident of her decision."  Indonesian education is not like a UK education and Indonesians are often very naive - if you've never lived there you'd have no idea. Look at the tens of thousands of young Indo women that pile into Saudi Arabia every year, totally unaware of the horrors awaiting them there.

rustygecko wrote:

How do you know he's Italian and visiting as that isn't said in this thread?
It is I believe £18,600 my £18k was just approx.

Finally you state "she's educated and therefore confident of her decision."  Indonesian education is not like a UK education and Indonesians are often very naive - if you've never lived there you'd have no idea. Look at the tens of thousands of young Indo women that pile into Saudi Arabia every year, totally unaware of the horrors awaiting them there.

How do I know he is Italian?  Because I usually seek a little info about the questioner, before advising them, by visiting their profile page.

I've had Indonesian friends, both in person, and online. I couldn't fault them. They were all very intelligent. As for those who move to Saudi, maybe it's their situation that compels them, just like other Asians such as Bengali's, Pakistani's & Indians. About the horrors...I'm sure people know. All those would-be immigrants know how many die trying to cross the Mediterranean...boat capsizes..200, 300, 400 drown...and the list of dead only goes up..you would think they would give up and stay home..yet they still continue attempting, even when there is dead bodies scattered all around them. People know of the horrors, but hope things will be different for them, and that they can somehow better their lives. They are willing to take the risks, in order to improve their situation, whatever it is.

Oh, so you think by having a couple of friends from a place and chatting with a few people on line you know what a place is like? From speaking to a few, you have decided that 1/4 billion people are intelligent?
I made no comment about faults about Indinesians - in fact in general I like them very much. However I am aware of the gross inadequacies of much of their education system, and extraordinarily naive they are generally.

As for your comment that people know about Saudi Arabia - as you would know if you were a little more worldly - Indinesians generally don't know. Again your connecting people going down in ships in the Med with Saudi Arabia shows how little you know about the world - those people are not coming from Saudi.

rustygecko wrote:

Oh, so you think by having a couple of friends from a place and chatting with a few people on line you know what a place is like? From speaking to a few, you have decided that 1/4 billion people are intelligent?
I made no comment about faults about Indinesians - in fact in general I like them very much. However I am aware of the gross inadequacies of much of their education system, and extraordinarily naive they are generally.

As for your comment that people know about Saudi Arabia - as you would know if you were a little more worldly - Indinesians generally don't know. Again your connecting people going down in ships in the Med with Saudi Arabia shows how little you know about the world - those people are not coming from Saudi.

I'm not talking about the entire country. Someone with a masters degree isn't stupid.

I'm connecting it, because it proves that even when people do know of the horrors, which stares them right in the face, they are willing to take the risks. And you don't know anything about me at all, so your opinions don't matter to me whatsoever. They have no value. Zilch.

I do know Indonesia, very well now, so I know our lizard like friend is correct.
XB is also making some valid points, but his limited experience and assumptions are allowing  errors.
The education system (for those without cash) isn't all that great, and the news about matters such as abuse in Saudi is limited.

XB, you're assuming conditions here match those in western countries, this explains your mistakes.

Focus focussss...this thread getting oot

uumm.. I can say that most of Indonesian women workers who seek for an opportunity in Saudi Arabia don't have a formal education and they "have to" seek an opportunity in Saudi and UAE because of the economic issue they have here.
the most common job they look for is a house servant.
I think it's far different from the issue I get here (it doesn't mean that I'm considering myself "better" than them just because I had a master degree)
anyway yes my fiance is an Italian, he also thinks bout the best way to bring me there without an issue that may cause something fatal in the future.

so still the best way to be there is by getting married here and apply for spouse visa?

So far yes, and then you can enter UK using EEA dependent visa. And then in the UK you will have better advantages because UK will treat you as an EEA member (this is a loop hole, I have less advantages and rights as a British spouse..they treat me as a non EEA -_-")

first you have to arrived in london and get in to the uk sistem with nin, bank account, adress, etc

Dear Sarah rahman
Asslamu Alikum
How are you there? I hope you are in a good situation. with respect to jobs I personally think applying online throuwout websites would be the best solution as many vacancies shown in companies websites. Essentially, I don't know what jobs are you exactly looking for?

Keep in touch and wish you all the best dear

Mohammed

I am afraid this person, from Saudi Arabia, has no idea what he is talking about.
You need to get your visa situation sorted out. Unless you are in a field of *very* high demand (eg surgeon) they won't even look at your CV.

As for Mohamed, he should stick to giving advice on Saudi immigration laws.

Oh thanks rustygecko for a great replay you made !! I think you are such a free person to correct people mistakes .. lol.. I like it. By the way I don't know if the Muslim Indonesian women she had a visa to the UK or not ! I thoght she basically knows about the basic immagrations rules! I have work-legally- during my studying time so there is no obgection.
what I notice is that you are not an english person , I am I right? ...

:huh:

If you worked during your time as a student then you must have had a visa.
She seems to be unaware of the basic immigration rules.
And you are wrong in thinking I'm not British.

Time to take a moment to calm down.
A couple of posts are heading towards personal comment, and that can only bring trouble.

Chill, dudes. ::)

good to hear that ,,,..

anyway it was nice to reacting with you..

Best wishes
mohammed

Hi everybody,

I would like to inform you that i have removed some off topic posts here.

Please, lets make sure that we are really sharing useful information on this thread.

Priscilla

im planning to move to UK too,, because of the visa issue... hard to enter UK. NOW MY RELATIONSHIP end. im just really unhappy but i still try my best. im indonesian too ... nice to know you

It is so hard to find a job there in he UK.
I've applied for literally more than 100 jobs in England but no positive response yet.
Was thinking to just send out my CV to some recruitment agencies but a bit blur about it.
Anyone can suggest some best recruitment agencies there? I'd prefer to get a job in London though.
Or maybe somebody here can offer me a job there in England? That would be so much appreciated.
Thanks.

What do you do? What are your qualifications? I assume you don't have a work permit?

rustygecko wrote:

I assume you don't have a work permit?

Well that's a bit harsh...

rhe912 wrote:

It is so hard to find a job there in he UK.
I've applied for literally more than 100 jobs in England but no positive response yet.
Was thinking to just send out my CV to some recruitment agencies but a bit blur about it.
Anyone can suggest some best recruitment agencies there? I'd prefer to get a job in London though.
Or maybe somebody here can offer me a job there in England? That would be so much appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are still in Indonesia it's a bit of impossible unless you are a professional in some kind of field...to offer a job here in England, a company must first advertise and find someone here in the uk before employing someone from abroad.

Why? It's a reasonable question and one that makes a huge difference.

Since I haven't got a job there yet so I can't apply for the visa meaning I don't have the work permit, yeah.
I have bachelor degree in Communications and Public Relations and now have been working for 1 year and half since graduated.
Would be nice if you can enlighten me of what's the best way in order to get a job.
Cheers.

Find a husband. I can see no other legal way - or train as a brain surgeon.

rustygecko wrote:

Find a husband. I can see no other legal way - or train as a brain surgeon.

Not subtle, but pretty accurate - sadly.
The unemployment rate in the UK means you're going to have problems.

Rhe looks really pretty in her avatar, but I'm married so that reduces her chances of a UK passport holder husband by one.
Unless you promise not to tell my wife :D

In my opinion, if she could legally work here she d find a job - she's easy on the eye and has a degree.
What she doesn't understand as she's never been anywhere cold, is the constant cold and cloud (not to mention the food) would break her heart.
I always think that while those of us from cold places know what it is like to be hot, someone from the tropics cannot imagine what it's like to live inside a walk-in fridge.

Haha "Find a husband" sounds nice though.
I'd love to marry one, why not?
Well Rustygecko, I've been to some European countries included England if it's that what u're trying to say. I know how annoying it is to feel cold even in the summer.
One of the reasons that I really want to go back there is that I think I belong in Europe, especially England  :cool:
So now I really need to find a job and pursue my dreams to live or settle down there.

@ Fred, maybe you have some single and good looking English friends?  :D