RESIDENCY CARD!

Hi everyone any idea how long  take get residency card(minimum i have read  it says few weeks)  wife EU husband non EU citizen ?

Just applied for my I/d card if that's what you mean & was told anywhere between 6-10 weeks. Hope that helps.

thanks for answer any idea when we applied this card can i work in Malta ? or must wait this card ?i will come with tourist visa!

You can start work yes as long as you and your wife are here together , and you are applying for residency

if you come alone you will need a work permit

If your wife comes on holiday and then leaves you will also need a work permit.

You are only entitled to work here without a permit if your eu spouse is entering and remaining In the country

mjg1305 wrote:

Just applied for my I/d card if that's what you mean & was told anywhere between 6-10 weeks. Hope that helps.

its not an ID card, but an eResidence card - ID cards are only issued to Maltese citizens

yes she will come with me and apply residence card  but she need go first  for 3 months , she has 2 passport  if she leave country anyone can suspect ? maybe she can use UK passport for residency and Malaysian passport for  travel abroad ?

You are not entitled to the right to live and work here without restriction  unless your wife is here
Unless you apply for residency in your own right at which point you will require a WORK PERMIT which you company has to apply for.

It doesn't matter if your wife has two passports YOU NEED To either COME & STAY together or you will have to come here as a NON-EU citizen and therefore you will need ther correct documentation etc

You have been told this all already ...

Also worth mentioning that you will need to make sure that you have the correct visa , a short stay visa won't allow you to work here  so make sure you have the correct one

robpw2 wrote:

You are not entitled to the right to live and work here without restriction  unless your wife is here
Unless you apply for residency in your own right at which point you will require a WORK PERMIT which you company has to apply for.

It doesn't matter if your wife has two passports YOU NEED To either COME & STAY together or you will have to come here as a NON-EU citizen and therefore you will need ther correct documentation etc

You have been told this all already ...

A perfect 'Redmik' answer! 100% agree

F0xgl0ve wrote:

The force is strong with this one. Taught him well he has.

thanks for all answers just very confuse ! how it is going will see !anyways thanks.

It's not confusing at all it's very simple ...

If your wife is not Intending to be a resident here when you come here and start work you need to have a long term visa and your company will need a work permit for you

( this mean that you won't be able to start work till its been received )

Or you come here with your wife to both apply for take up residency here and you only need a schengen visa and you can start work without restriction .

If your wife is not intending to be resident for the foreseeable future as in you telling us she need to go away for three months then you will need to apply like any other non eu citizen

On An Island wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

The force is strong with this one. Taught him well he has.

Lol I'm not trying to be like redmik I'm just answering his question as clear and precise as I can ...

yes  i understood this only problem company wants start work end of May but we can not get residency card that fast i guess we can apply but need to wait so during these time can not work right even my wife in country?

You can work of your wife's here and you both apply for residency you take the receipt you get from your application to your employer and that should suffice until you get the card .

It shouldn't take that long to get the card I would say 6-weeks but you need to both go to the office to apply together , make sure all documents are in English or are provided with translations signed by a  Notary , you will need to take your offer of a job with you , proof of your relationships and photocopies of ALL documents .

thank you very much sorry to give you headache:( appreciated with your answers.

https://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Info … dence.aspx
Make sure you print the forms off here that you will need it also has opening hours of the office in Valletta and a document telling you what form to use etc

yes thanks a lot i will do that actually i try call  but unfortunately  nobody answering phone ! and more difficult  when i am not in Malta now .

one final Note - you CANNOT WORK WITH  TOURIST VISA....

Ok now I am confused again!  I posted last week about moving to Malta soon.  I am a US citizen and my husband is UK.
Our plan was for us to live in Malta,  but he is a contractor and works away several months at a time.  Does this mean I can't remain in Malta whIle he is away working?  Or does this not matter if we apply for residency as self sufficient (Under EU rules?)

Jasminej wrote:

Ok now I am confused again!  I posted last week about moving to Malta soon.  I am a US citizen and my husband is UK.
Our plan was for us to live in Malta,  but he is a contractor and works away several months at a time.  Does this mean I can't remain in Malta whIle he is away working?  Or does this not matter if we apply for residency as self sufficient (Under EU rules?)

as your intention is for both of you to take up residence in Malta and your coming here via the self sufficient route as long as you meet the requirements for self sufficiency then the above information doesn't affect you.

So even as self sufficient,  either (or both of us) would be legally allowed to work in Malta?   What about healthcare? I know we need insurance to come (can't find any more details or info on how long we need to buy coverage for), but my understanding is that one of us needs to be working and paying taxes to receive free health care. And I guess school isn't an issue on the self sufficiency visa?  Even though that would still be taking money from "public funds"?

Jasminej wrote:

So even as self sufficient,  either (or both of us) would be legally allowed to work in Malta?   What about healthcare? I know we need insurance to come (can't find any more details or info on how long we need to buy coverage for), but my understanding is that one of us needs to be working and paying taxes to receive free health care. And I guess school isn't an issue on the self sufficiency visa?  Even though that would still be taking money from "public funds"?

if your applying for self sufficiency route you will need comprehensive health insurance and this would need to cover your for the entire  time you stay in Malta so assuming the health insurance company you use does  1 year policies then you would show them the policy document for this as proof you have it . you would also need to meet the financial requirements for self sufficiency which can be found in the document in the link a few posts back.

or you and your husband apply using the employed/self employed route at which point your husband and you or just him would need to have secured work or your husband and/or you  registers as self employed  then you can apply for the residnce card that way you wouldnt need medically insurance as long as you and or your husband  are paying national insurance and taxes etc. 
I dont know if the fact you mention that your husband intends to be away for long periods will affect your residency .. it would all depend on how long those periods are .

schools again is something i dont have any experience with im afraid , maybe you may want to ask these questions to the office that deals with residency .

Thanks for your help! We do have both income and savings so self sufficiency isn't an issue.  I'll have to look into self employed option, I haven't really looked at that yet but I assume it would mean having a business and paying tax in Malta. 
  I'm hoping to find some sort of job when we get there,  I just couldn't figure out if applying as self sufficient would still allow me to work in Malta.  My husband probably wouldn't be away more than 6 months out of the year, but again I can't find any info saying whether there is a requirement for how long he is actually present in Malta, and if I have the right to reside in Malta if he is away.  I'm looking into private schools, so hopefully school is not an issue.

Hi Jasmine,

the procedure is that your UK husband registers  for residency as self-sufficient and at the same time applies for your residency as a family member. Once you have the e-residence card as a family member of an EU cititzen you yourself can work without needing a work permit.

This worked for me (UK - self-sufficent) and my previous girlfriend (US). It was no problem for her to work or be self-employed.

If you work and pay NI contributions ( even as self-employed) you have free health insurance.

He can leave the island for as long as he wants and still considers himself resident ! I presume he will be on the island now and again -))) BUt you also hinge on his rights as an EU citizen.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you so much!  That's exactly what I needed to know.   So it looks like it will definitely be a good idea for me to work,  even part time just for the benefit of free health care! 

We will be coming in July or August and looking for a place to rent.   I know this probably doesn't exist,  but any suggestions on a less crowded place to live?  I don't care about shopping or night life.   We would prefer peace and quiet, and hopefully somewhere that the kids can play outdoors.  My housing budget is €700-800 for a 3 bedroom,  hopefully that's enough for something decent.

Jasminej wrote:

Thank you so much!  That's exactly what I needed to know.   So it looks like it will definitely be a good idea for me to work,  even part time just for the benefit of free health care! 

We will be coming in July or August and looking for a place to rent.   I know this probably doesn't exist,  but any suggestions on a less crowded place to live?  I don't care about shopping or night life.   We would prefer peace and quiet, and hopefully somewhere that the kids can play outdoors.  My housing budget is €700-800 for a 3 bedroom,  hopefully that's enough for something decent.

Look for south coast then places like marsascala etc

Hi
theres plenty of decent property for rental in the Xemxija, Melliah area. Its quiet but very beautiful, lots of nature walks etc and good beaches. Hope this helps and good luck with your move. There are also quite a few ex pats / meetup groups on the island so meeting people shouldnt be a problem.
J

are you sure????

I have been waiting for mine since January. 5th. 2015. which is 16 weeks so I wouldn't bank on getting it before then despite what people on here are telling you about receiving it within 5/6 weeks. The people at Evans Building told me it would take up to 8 weeks but I have been waiting twice as long as that. I phoned them at the end of January and the told me there was a backlog and they where still doing December applications

Belated thanks, Rob, for your reply.  However, made a recent (successful surprise, surprise) phone call to the numbers listed and was told that Form K was no longer an option for non Eu citizens.  I am an Oz citizen on a pension and cannot see that there is any other option available for me other than Form K.  Am I missing something?
Expect to be in a Uni.course in Malta beginning in October, but need to legalise myself until then and, hopefully, still be able to stay here.  Any thoughts on this?  Rob

Ozchook wrote:

Belated thanks, Rob, for your reply.  However, made a recent (successful surprise, surprise) phone call to the numbers listed and was told that Form K was no longer an option for non Eu citizens.  I am an Oz citizen on a pension and cannot see that there is any other option available for me other than Form K.  Am I missing something?
Expect to be in a Uni.course in Malta beginning in October, but need to legalise myself until then and, hopefully, still be able to stay here.  Any thoughts on this?  Rob

https://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Info … rm%20O.pdf

i would apply using this form its for pensioners
https://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Info … 014%29.pdf
the attached document will explain the requirements

hi terry,got mine in5 weeks,  no problem,  dave

Thanks!  That sounds like just the place for us.  As for meeting people,  my husband talks entirely too much so I'm sure the whole island will know him in a few weeks  :lol: