My passport will expire in less than 6 months

Hi guys, I have a question. My passport will expire in less than 6 months (expires on October 20 to be exact) and I'm currently in Vang Vieng, Laos. The problem is there is no Canadian Ambassy in Laos for me to extend my passport. My flight tiket back to Canada is on May 29. Is every country in Southeast Asia really serious about this kind of 6 months limitation so I will not be allowed to enter into any other countries? Any exceptions? If none, how can I go around this problem. Anyone had similar situation before? Thanks in advance.

Yes, they are - they will not issue visas. Its a worldwide protocol.

I don't need a visa anyway.

OK lets call it an entry permit. e.g. into Cambodia, etc.

I would send an email to one of your embassies in the area and ask them about your options.

Example

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Tourist Visa

Entry Type Single entry only
Fees USD30 + USD7 (processing charge)
Validity 3 months (starting from the date of issue)
Length of Stay 30 days (more) 
Processing time 3 business days
Requirement A passport validity of more than six months balance at time of entry, a recent passport-size photo in digital format (JPEG or PNG format), a valid credit card (Visa/MasterCard).

I dont know about laos , but renewing it from Phnom penh takes 30 days as u have to send it to bangkok, from the Australian embassy ( agreement with Canada) . If yiu dont choose to so that renewal , then u  had better quickly find a resting spot u like in a country u like ,until you want to return to Canada , as u may Not get to Have freedom of travel ..  Do u have a return ticket to Canada and where does that ticket start from back to Canada ? That would be my initial concern that i may not be able to get back for my flight ! UP TO U , as to how risk sensitive u are!

Airlines are responsible for insuring your papers are in order for destination country or airline eats the cost of flying you back out.

I once had a problem boarding Qantas airline on a flight from Australia to Thailand.  At check-in they pointed out my passport only had seven months left and if less than six months they would only board me on a flight back to country that issued passport.