Getting Started for a couple 67 years young

We would like to find out the following for a trip to Ecuador Just to see how we like it:

1/ What airline would you suggest to fly to Ecuador from N.Y.C for price and with direct flight?

2/ We would like to stay at a place near the beach where we would be able to have the cool breezes from the Pacific.  Where would you suggest that we make contact(s) for these accommodations? 
Bear in mind that my wife has a difficult time walking long distances.

3/ Would our Medicare advantage plans be accepted in Ecuador should we need medical attention?

4/ What is the best method to rent a car in Ecuador?  To drive there are the roads narrow and/or hilly?  Is it dangerous to drive at night between cities?

5/ How is the safest way to use the banking system there?  Should we come with U.s. dollars or just use credit cards or are there banks there that we can park our money instead of carrying it around with us?

6/ For such a trip would our U.s. passports suffice?

I can't answer all of your questions, being Canadian, but I can give you a start on a few things:

1. When we flew in from New York, we used LAN (a South American airline) that had good service & nice amenities, even in coach. The airline flew directly in to Guayaquil.

2. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing where you want to stay. The larger cities along the coast will have more amenities (meaning hospitals and medical services) and be easier to navigate if someone has trouble walking. Be prepared for poorly maintained, missing or uneven sidewalks, wherever you decide to stay. Salinas, Manta and Esmeraldas are the large towns/cities on the coast. As far as I know they are all open to the ocean breezes, but depending on the time of year, can be really humid and hot.

3. I have no idea about Medicare Advantage, you should refer to your government information package on out of country service.

4. There are car rental agencies in Ecuador, especially in the larger cities. The roads, for the most part, are narrow, winding, poorly signed where defensive driving is a must. The roads can be dangerous in the day, depending on the route, just because of the large vehicles on tiny roads and drivers that aren't the best. (Lines on the road are barely suggestions, lights can be ignored and drivers are, at best, unpredictable.  Many North Americans avoid driving me at night, as most of the roads are also poorly lit (or lights are non-existent). Many opt to hire drivers to get them from place to place. I do know North American's who drive here and we will once we get our Ecuadorian drivers' licences, but we only plan to rent for the odd road trip.

5. The easiest way to deal with money here is bank machines. An ATM card/Credit Card can be your best friend to get cash out of a bank machine. Cash is king here, credit cards are only accepted at large stores, major hotels and high end restaurants. I would bring a couple of options, just in case one card doesn't work, for any strange and unknown reason. (Networks being down, strips demagnetized etc.) If you are planning on staying in a small town, you'll likely have to plan ahead and carry cash with you. Most banks have security guards at their front door, near the ATMs, so we haven't had a problem so far.

6. You can enter Ecuador for 90 days on your US Passport, longer stays will require that you apply for a 180 day tourist Visa or an extension on your original 90 day...this can be challenging if your Spanish isn't up to snuff and you don't want to shell out money for a lawyer, or "handler" to act as a liaison between you and the government.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!

Airlines and hotels:  check www.cheapoair.com and www.booking.com respectively for rates and reviews.

Red didn't specifically recommend Manta and Esmeraldas.

Regardless, I specifically recommend against those two places for your purposes.  Manta has been developing into a commercial center and was described by someone in the know as the Baltimore of Ecuador.  Esmeraldas is in the State Department's no-go zone.

Here are better options:

Salinas, also mentioned by Red:  in high season (December-May approximately) a busy, honky-tonk tourist town.   Much cooler and more tranquilo in most of the other months.

Bahía de Caraquez:  less touristy, receiving high grades from Gringos.

You'll probably fly into Guayaquil.  From there it's about 90 minutes by ground transportation to the nearest Pacific Ocean beachfront.

cccmedia in Quito

bruceberger wrote:

Would our Medicare advantage plans be accepted in Ecuador should we need medical attention?

Medicare:  Forget it.  It's not honored anywhere here in La República.  You could look into separate travel insurance -- don't leave Long Island without it.

Red gave you solid advice about entry into Ecuador, transportation and banking.  :top:  Bring lots of small bills and don't expect anybody to change anything larger than a 20.

cccmedia in Quito

You're a good man cccmedia.  You've answered these broad questions from this poster multiple times on multiple threads. :one

Actually,ccMedia,

I think that you are great.  Your responses to all types of queries are very considered and kind, yet factual.  A terrific balance.  You maybe should also be a writer.

HelenPivoine

Thank you, SawMan and Helen, for the appreciative words. :)

It's a great pleasure to me to think my posts are making a difference.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks cccmedia, for clarifying on the Esmeraldas and Manta thing. I certainly wouldn't recommend any place I have yet to see. (I'll make sure to disclaim on any future posts.)

Moderated by Christine
Reason: off topic + aggressive comment