A place in the sun malta episode 19/04/15

So incase your missing it channel 4s a place in the sun are currently showing a new episode where they choose between Lincolnshire and Malta ...

Worth watching but beware not all information on this show is always 100% factual or relevant

So who's watching its on plus on at 18:50 or on 4od later

So they are looking at both Gozo and Malta and are buying .... They should rent till they are sure where they want to live

yep I'm watching it, a bit tongue in cheek though, one holiday then buying hmmmm

£212,000 seems a tad expensive but that zurrieq property looks nice though  it a beautiful house though

g4jnw wrote:

yep I'm watching it, a bit tongue in cheek though, one holiday then buying hmmmm

Imagine having one holiday and moving to Malta ..... Would never do that lol ..... Honest he he

That dry cellar might not be very dry in the winter lol

Siggiewi £280,000

Looks like the estate agent saw them coming and started rubbing their hands

Yes some very expensive properties on here but your right if you go to estate agent with £270k budget they won't bother showing you anything less than 200k as they want the commission

Wish they had come to me I could have found them a Gozo property for less than 300,000 euros ...

Marascala
Is that like marsaskala ? Lol 650k penthouse did they just go show me the most expensive houses in Malta lol

well what a waste of a program, could have shown so much more, more money than sense I think.

Worth noting properties were filmed in August 2014 and they convert properties 1.25 euros to the pound

So the family didn't come  to Malta ( thank goodness they would have been ripped off lol )

robpw2 wrote:

Marascala
Is that like marsaskala ? Lol 650k penthouse did they just go show me the most expensive houses in Malta lol

I heard that, I though Marascala, where's that??? Blonde numpty!!  :D

That place was in the Ta' Monita Residence, I think, it's only been finished in the last year or so. 650k for a penthouse in Malta, a bargain compared to some properties -

http://www.remax-malta.com/Penthouse-Du … 171006-351

robpw2 wrote:

Worth noting properties were filmed in August 2014 and they convert properties 1.25 euros to the pound

Yeah, almost 10% cheaper now with the exchange rate. As soon as I heard his budget and what he was looking for I knew he would either be shown something in the south-west of Malta or Gozo. He would get bugger all in Sliema or Mellieha for that sort of price.

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Marascala

I heard that, I though Marascala, where's that??? Blonde numpty!!  :D

That place was in the Ta' Monita Residence, I think, it's only been finished in the last year or so. 650k for a penthouse in Malta, a bargain compared to some properties -

http://www.remax-malta.com/Penthouse-Du … 171006-351

Pocket change that lol ...

But on the same scale I could get a nice 3 bed in Gozo from about 150-300k  € let alone pounds   

I think people watching tonight might get put off buying ... Good thing i suppose lol

would have wasted an hour if it wasn't for ogling at the blonde with the blue leather jacket (better not tell the wife lol)

its an age thing haha

robpw2 wrote:

I think people watching tonight might get put off buying ... Good thing i suppose lol

Jonnie Irwin's first comments were quite interesting. For an English speaking island in the Med, why are there only 2% of the population expats?? Compare that to Spain or Portugal. Then he tells you that the average price of property in Malta is £66k more than the UK!!

g4jnw wrote:

would have wasted an hour if it wasn't for ogling at the blonde with the blue leather jacket (better not tell the wife lol)

its an age thing haha

That tight blue leather jacket  :kiss::heart::shy

I was salivating  :joking:

robpw2 wrote:

But on the same scale I could get a nice 3 bed in Gozo from about 150-300k  € let alone pounds

Quite surreal timing, watching that program, I got the ferry back from Gozo early this afternoon, for the 3rd time in 5 days, and I've just signed 12 months of my life away to that place. Moving up there at the start of September, can't wait, it's 100 times nicer than bloody Malta.

what was the name of the village on Gozo  - didnt quite catch it...

i bet those houses would be bloody cold in Winter....

we used to watch this program all the time after the last 2 experiences of it  = waste of time and space...

i dont remember lol it was a lovely house though

Toon wrote:

I think it was Xewkija.

On An Island wrote:
Toon wrote:

I think it was Xewkija.

Not really a village its more of a rather sprawling continuation of Victoria. Some very nice houses but quite a lot that aren't!

Ray

Another similar type program you might want to add to your watchlist, a new series of Escape To The Continent started on the BBC recently, and on Thursday 25th June the episode will be based in Malta.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dn2qc … --14-malta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05xhmf4/episodes/guide

I've watched all of the programs in the series so far, they can be quite interesting. It's a spin-off show from Escape To The Country, but obviously on foreign shores. The house-hunters get shown 4 different properties, the last of which is the "mystery house". I'm going to make a guess and predict in this episode that will be a property in Gozo.

P.S. Toon, the episode after that is in Cyprus -

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dn4ks … -15-cyprus

It doesn't say if it's in Paphos or Limassol or Larnaca yet, but it will be interesting to compare the two programs. Although there is quite a difference in the available budgets.

aha i will watch out for these then  cheers for that

Did anyone watch that ecape to the continent ?

I have to say it's a much better than a place in the sun , this is actually helping them immerse themselves in Malta life - I wouldn't want to have been on that luzzu cruise though it looks incredibly windy

I saw it too, Rob and enjoyed it. The prices In Sterling seemed about right and the property's were good too. I wonder if the guy is still here as I noted the prices were March 2015 ?

I would hope so as they were renting and their kid went to milleha school

How did they manage to get a school for their  boy when at that point they don't even live here?

Also perhaps it's time that someone told the resident they spoke to who had lived here a long time that it isn't an ID card anymore!

Ray

I don't know I don't know them personally lol
Your right about ID cards it's does annoy me but so many refer to the e- residence cards as ID card and it is correct your number is your e-Id number and used for accessing government sites.

It still was a decent program and had some very good segments in it.

I think that property in kalkara was lovely but they were always going to choose milheia as that was near their child's school

I did enjoy the episode
It was quite funny as I sat & popped the TV on & thought to myself oh they look like Malta fishing boats....then the penny dropped
I agree it is better that the Cannel 4 version
& shame it fell through on the place they wanted but happy they moved anyhow
I think this might spur my in-laws to make the move & join us.

I enjoyed it and they are doing the same as us moving in time for secondary school so it will be easier on them as there changing school anyway. I was surprised at seeing a M&S and bhs, I didn't know they were there, I just hope Aldi open a store in Gozo before we move as that's the only thing I'm going to miss in the UK hahaha

You have lidl in gozo .. better than aldi :)
we even have a costa coffee here too

robpw2 wrote:

I don't know I don't know them personally lol
Your right about ID cards it's does annoy me but so many refer to the e- residence cards as ID card and it is correct your number is your e-Id number and used for accessing government sites.

It still was a decent program and had some very good segments in it.

I think that property in kalkara was lovely but they were always going to choose milheia as that was near their child's school

If I had the money I would buy the one in rabat.  It yes I love kalkara too. If I move from here I will ck out kalkara.  Mehlia typical no beach front all up for short term let's

Hi Rob,
what was the the three towns they used?

t.i.a

They went to Rabat , mdina , slimey (sliema) kalkara and milleha

The Rabat property was lovely - I like the sand stone etc my problem would be slippystairs etc and it was spread over 4 floors . It was the most traditional of the houses.  However the kitchen reminded me of the buckets one when they get stuck in that bijou appartment .

The sliema one apart from the fact it's in sliema was a much better sized kitchen and I loved the modern/traditional mix.

Milleha had a lot of space - some of it looked very wasteful from the outside it was the least appealing of the properties  but the view from the roof was lovely

Kalkara I loved the property it was ultra modern - had a great size kitchen living area and views to die for

The mdina property they stayed in they didn't show much off lol

Aldl  is so much better then lidl, when we lived in France always shopped lidl but now back in the UK and shopping at Aldl we have bags of good quality food for £30. The meat is as good as morrison's and everything else for your shopping basket is great, don't get me started on the washing up liquid and silver foil, sounds like the start of 50 shades of grey hahahaha

For me none of the houses in the show were what I would like and there budget was bigger then mine 😳 I have seen a few on Frank Salt so when we are ready I'm sure the perfect home will turn up. Number 1 on my list is to not live near a church, the bells hahahaha can't be doing with that as well as dogs and cock a doodle doo everyday is as much as I'm happy to live with 😃