How to move to Casablanca ?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for having me on this Expat.com! I could already find a lot of informations to help me anticipate my moving !
I still have some questions mostly about administrative stuff, like if I am planning on working, getting a bank account ...
Do I need a work visa, what are the requirements for one to settle in Morocco!

I will briefly introduce myself, I am a 23 years old Dutch living in France and willing to settle in Morocco to get a CELTA qualification for teaching English !

I m also looking for a flat share but would like to know the safe areas to live in for a woman ( not too expensive would be the best) !

I have a small dog and was wondering if it s a good idea to bring him with me and how pets are considered there ( just asking because I saw a lot of stray dogs and nobody with domesticated animals ...)

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

Kind Regards,

Annelore

If you open a company in here (also will solve legal tax issues) you can get permit for work and residency easily. Without company option I don't know about working permit. Some people around the blog will explain further.

There is a law about employment, briefly saying that; If you want to employ a foreigner, you must to prove that this job can not be handled by a Moroccan. They simply use it to avoid local unemployment. So they have a point. Since you are a Dutch, they will not consider you as a native speaker, which can be a prove to employ a native speaker as a teacher. In this issue, the celta certification will be included in game. If this certification is something rare in here, the schools can solve your issue. But maybe there are some walkarounds in some fields like language teacher. Some other people can clear up this detail also.

Flatshare is hard deal. Try to find a good mate and evaluate good. This is what I can suggest so far. And many of the offers rising until 5000 - 6000 dirhams in a flat with furniture. (take out one zero, dirham becomes approx in euro). Anyway, 5000 - 6000 dirhams is an amount which is enough for you to hire a studio alone with a furniture. Unless you got an offer less than 4000, not logic to flatshare.

Safe areas...
If you don't care too much about young guys compliments to you on streets, nearly all regions in city center can be considered as safe. Since there are so strict regulations about guns, knifes etc. in Morocco, there is no vital risk. Just young people loves to compliment : )

Your dog...
Big or small, if it barks or if it will use the building as a toilet, it will be a headache for you. If not just bring it. I know many people keeps at home. Normally (as far as I know) forbidden in mass living areas (buildings). But Moroccan's are hot blooded and friendly people. Just don't let your dog to disturb them.

Start with a home;
Here comes your links
http://www.avito.ma/fr/casablanca/appartementshttp://www.marocannonces.com/recherche/ … l?image=on

There is no mass transportation in Casablanca except rail systems. Actually there is but... Anyway can not explain, must to be seen : )
Check for regions Anfa, 2 Mars, Bourgogne. Those are good choice for a woman and will not cause a transportation trouble. On websites, do not consider centre ville or maarif (which also must be center). Somehow even homes out of center can be tagged with this 2. Expecially the tag "maarif extension" can be some where until siberia.

I just changed home and got enough experience. Golden rules in Casablanca;

1. Never pay anything for visits. Tell them if you hire, you pay. If you pay per visit, you'll visit millions of homes which do not fit your criterias.

2. Never call or visit an anounce without a picture. There are many old buildings in Casablanca. Expecially in city center. Anounces without pictures 80% will take you to a home like refugee camp.

3. Never pay anything before signing contract. Like "pay me 500 dirhams to block the home for you, When the owner will come from (some far city) you will sign the contract" etc. etc.

4. If you call an anounce and they told you "that home is hired but if you get intrested..." Just close the phone. Cheap trick to show great homes with great prices to catch people. But somehow all hired : )

5. Comission fees; Immobiler companies 1 month hire, freelancers (called simsar in here) half month hire. But even comissioners coming with their pyjamas and slippers have companies : )
If they demand full hire, ask for their business cards and after visit their offices. Than sure pay.

Finally, before deciding to take a step for a home, I suggest to write here, give the link and ask peoples experience about the region and price. You'll have many answer.

Good luck

hi and welcome....I think I can help with some other information.

For dogs:
As far as I had my own...let  me tell you there are not so many vets here and a lot of street dogs coming round some neighborhoods...which means lot of diseases.
The problem is not in having a dog here...but if you want to turn back....you will have lot of troubles in the "aduane" due to the sickness mentioned before. They will keep it for the quarantine that it goes from 15 days to 2 or 3 months, it is you who is going to pay the costs. So think about it.

As was mentioned in the other post for workers and employees: ANAPEC. CELTA is not too usual here so you can deal with that in case of getting a job, to include it in the requirements

The law about founding a company changed last year , before was very easy.....the basic one 10.000 dhrms and some burocracy et voila....you had it. Nowadays ..still is easy but I think the base was changed.

Bring with you "the certificate of absence of police records" you will need it...as well as your "certificate of birth" and be sure they have been translated into French or Arabic with a certified translator.  The police records expire in a month, but in Europe we can ask for them through any other person maybe a member of a family.

As an European you will have to leave the country each 3 months..... we all usually go via ceuta and come back.

People don't use to bother foreigners too much....but there are stealers like in everywhere.  Maybe you will have the feeling that everyman in the cafes they are looking at you...and it is true....we need to handle with it....as soon as you can be adapted to the society and culture ...life is quite simple.

Don't think to get out too much....there are places well adapted to foreigner's leisure culture...but never go alone as you will have to turn back home late at nite it is not safe at all. however I have been here for 6 years and I have never had any trouble, except dealing with prices.

And that is all for the moment.....

regards

Inovasion, Mar65,
Thanks so much for all the information you provided !
I am not planning on starting a company there, just taking the CELTA and try to find a job as a teacher. I already spoke to an expat who gave me a lot of information regarding my plans !
What I don t get is why europeans need to leave the country ? If you have a job doesn t it mean you get a work permit as well that prevent you from having to leave the country.

I have been to Morocco before and found it very safe indeed, I don t mind about the cat calling, I m used to it as I live in the south of France :)
About the accomodation, I am quite aware of the risks of fake ads and everything but thank you for all the tips specific to Morocco that will come in very handy! I find the pricing quite expensive compare to the average pay or am I getting something wrong ?

Thanks also for the infos about the administratives data i have to provide,I will look into this a bit further !

About my dog, he is quite, small and old so doesn t really bother people, but he is still a dog and dog barks as baby cry, sometimes !
My biggest concern was regarding the green space for him to be happy and if it was alright to have a dog there, it seems now it might not be the most suitable idea...

I am used to travelling but have never settle in a country with a completely different culture than mine, so that is a big challenge but an interesting one none of the less !
I am so greatful I could find so many content, I will definetely check those links out and ask other people regarding housing and administrative stuff!

Thanks a lot, both of you were of great help

Yours,

Annelore