Can you find Lavender, Rosemary, figs or other familiar to US plants?

Didn't know that either...wow! Knew about the bell peppers but not the other stuff...thx

Let's grow all these peppers here? Whose in? :) Organic of course.

Glauriel,  While thinking over what should be included in a gardener's move to the DR, we received an unexpected suggestion from Dania's cousin who returned to the DR after spending >30 years in Spain.  The suggestion  is that we include our plant pots.  It appears it will be difficult to find replacement pots for the ones she left in Spain. 

We have some pots which are ~3ft tall and had planned on selling them, but will now find space for them in our container shipment to the DR....

Ted

Interesting! Thanks for the insight... Unfortunately I just gave away all my pots! In anticipation of the move of course... All my babies and pots are living elsewhere except for the few remaining that wintered over here in the house...They are slated to go to my sisters very soon, as soon as the weather breaks for sure, prob mid May....The pots are tiny too...Oh well will see what I can do when I get there.  Have been known to be very creative in my plantings so may have to try that again. Appreciate the insight though....Will consider possibly locating a couple more if light weight! We have really cut our weight, went from 5400 pounds to 3000 pounds and still going! Really want to more "lose weight" if at all possible :)

dreamtime wrote:

Let's grow all these peppers here? Whose in? :) Organic of course.

Peppers/chilli are native to the Caribbean & Central/South America  - Columbus found peppers in the DR in 1492, here's the story http://www.omnilogos.com/2015/04/chilli-peppers.html

Has any one tried the local bird pepper?  I tried one in Jamaica which left my mouth inflamed :o .

I grow things wherever I live.  I grow oriental bird peppers along with many other types.  I even grew horse radish that a friend brought from Canada in Sosua.  The 1st. year it barely survived, but the 2nd. year it almost took over the whole garden.   Nothing like fresh grated horse radish to wake you up!    If you have a few square feet of ground, you can grow anything you can imagine.  You won't need pots unless you want them as house plants or only have a terrace or patio to grow on.  Put me on the list of growers.   If you want very bushy & productive plants, when the main stem develops two other stems in a "Y",  prune it off just below the "Y".   In a couple of weeks you will be amazed at all the new growth.  Sounds crazy but it truly works.    The first time that I did it, I felt terrible until I saw the results.   Use the cuttings for compost.   Put a couple of aspirin in your watering can,  it promotes rigorous root growth.   I have learned many tips over the years.   Good crops to you all, & don't forget the Epsum Salts too!

How do you use Epsom salts?

Thanks Gypsy, obviously you know many gardening tips...

Sprinkle it generously on your compost & mix it into your garden soil, ( a handful every 6 to 8 sq. feet. )  water it well.  It "Sweetens" the soil & helps to balance the PH.    The American Indians used the leaves of the willow tree for mulch.  ( willow is the source of aspirin) .  If I can be of service to fledgling gardeners, let me help you feather out so that you can soar with the eagles.

:D

There are different types of soils in the DR, of interest is the reddish soil to be found in a number of areas.   I think this is soil which contains bauxite (used for making aluminum - Alcoa has had mines in both the DR and Jamaica, the DR mining currently handled  by Sierra Bauxita).     

If we end up in a place with this type of soil we will look for what works best with it instead of fighting it - there are reports that the flavor of ortaniques is greatly enhanced by bauxite containing soils: http://www.2sistersandameal.com/uncateg … -the-gods/

An ortanique will be added to our planting list...

Whats an ortanique?

An ortanique is a citrus fruit hybrid between a tangerine and an orange.  It was discovered in Jamaica in ~1920 and has an amazing flavor (personal experience - triple yummy) - the flesh is orange-colored, tender, and exceptionally juicy.  I think it is known as leckosa in the DR.

Ted

P.S. There is another citrus hybrid called an ugli which is a blend between grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. It has a rough, wrinkled, greenish-yellow rind and the flavor is sweeter than a grapefruit.

Interesting, never heard of any of them, but good to be educated! Thx.

That's good to know on Epsom salt. I will try it out.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the soil and how to use it here. The soil in the back yard I scooped out and put into pots. It's really compacted clay. I have to hand break it down a little or it's just big chunks. Maybe I should of screened it fine before putting it in pots to plant the seedlings or transplanted seedlings. I think fruit trees that are local here pop right up. But anything not local to this soil doesn't work as well in it as it is hard as a rock on the surface if it's not wet.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get some good soil in my pots? I want to grow vegetables and fruit trees to start. Eventually I will move the fruit trees to some land somewhere but I have time until that happens.

Can't believe I'm replying to a question after only a week here!  But I must say I've seen several places selling terracotta pots in all different sizes along the the 3 km  road to Cabarete.  So they are surely available other places!

dreamtime wrote:

That's good to know on Epsom salt. I will try it out.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the soil and how to use it here. The soil in the back yard I scooped out and put into pots. It's really compacted clay. I have to hand break it down a little or it's just big chunks. Maybe I should of screened it fine before putting it in pots to plant the seedlings or transplanted seedlings. I think fruit trees that are local here pop right up. But anything not local to this soil doesn't work as well in it as it is hard as a rock on the surface if it's not wet.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get some good soil in my pots? I want to grow vegetables and fruit trees to start. Eventually I will move the fruit trees to some land somewhere but I have time until that happens.

Dreamtime,  the local farmers/campesinos know where and how to get soil. We had a truck load of top soil delivered to the place we own in Sabana de la Mar, our part-time gardener was able to get a road construction crew working the area to deliver it. 

Ted

yes those flower pots are all over the place.

Bob K

Ok. I'll ask a local guy to find out.

Thanks.

If your dirt is mostly clay, mix in a bunch of sand & any dead leaves you have around.  DO NOT use beach sand,  it is way too salty.   Start a compost pile. dig a hole of good size about 18 inches deep.  Put all kitchen scraps, cuttings leaves etc in the hole.  Can lightly cover with sand or whatever dirt you might have.   NEVER put meat, fish or dairy products in it.  You can tear up newspapers in strips and add to the pile.  Soak it well & keep moist. if you can, cover it with plastic or a tarp, that keeps evaporation to a minimum.   Coffee grounds are also great to use along with wood ashes if you have some.   Ashes from a BBQ are good if from local carbon, ( charcoal ).   The commercial briquete have chemicals that are harmful.   Every 3 or 4 days turn the pile , mix it up well, keep wet.   Continue to add organic material & in a month or so you'll have some fine compost.   Old manure from cows, horses sheep ,goat ,chickens will enrich it to no end.  If you don't have access to manure don't worry, you'll still be fine.   It doesn't take luck, just persistence.   Good growing!!!!

YES pots are easy to find here, do not worry. And yes locals know where to get the good dirt depending on your needs!

I am about to get 100 tons of dirt or some such amount............truckloads................ building a yard, a garden and LAWN..............

Access to manure? It's all over the place where I live. Cows are everywhere. In front, behind, down the street. Everywhere!  :D

Raw manure? 

This is normally not recommended for gardens and not just for the unwanted smell.    We have always used composted manure - heat from the composting process destroys seeds and removes the toxins which can burn plants.

chicken poop is usable fairly quickly here,  everything decomposes fast and grows just as fast.....

I did say  "old manure".   You are right, frsh is harmful, but it doesn't take long to decompose.    People around here rake & bag their leaves.  I go around looking for them & drag them home.   Sometimes I can amass a dozen or more 33 gal bags at one time.  I always have lots of compost working year round.   The soil here is basically sand.  it takes some ork to make the soil rich & black.  I have several plnter boxes haning on my wood privacy fences as well as 7 small in ground plots.   All together only about 1,000 square feet.  I also have a young orange tree, & peach tree.  A couple of bluberry bushes,  3 abcate & 1 lemon tree.  All started from seeds except the orang tree,   They have to start from grafts.  It takes about an hour a day to keep everything going well.   Great exercise.     Keep growing folks, it all tastes so good.

That's what I meant. I can just scoop up the cow poo and put it in the compost pile.

Chicken poop is here too. All over the place. I can use that too in the compost pile? They are going to think the gringo is really crazy now dragging home all the poo :)

Hahahaha now I have an image of you dragging poop bags..........  chicken manure is awesome!!!!

The poop man cometh :D

Bob k

Yes, use the chicken s--t in compost.   They will think that you are crazy until they see the results.   It is obvious that I didn't proof read my last post, no excuse, just tired & lazy I guess.

Tired we can forgive......LOL   Drink more rum, it helps......

It can be a quantum change that is happening, my cunado is a Dominican compesino/pescador - we taught his family to not give left overs to the pig as you have a 'fridge and left overs  taste better the next day, then moved on to what to do with waste veggie scraps which are now going to compost and not the garbage...

Drink good rum neat or with ice but never with pop!

The best sipping rum I've ever had the good fortune to drink is  Cruzan Single Barrel.   As the name suggests, it is not blended, it is a fine aged rum drawn from a single barrel.   If there isn't enough to fill the last bottle it is given as a freebie to any one taking the tour.   After hurricane Hugo, I worked on the restoration of the plantation mansion.  We got to know the family who started the distillery a couple of hundred years ago.   Amazing people, amazing rum.  The Estate Rum is another fine Cruzan rum.  Not expensive in St. Croix but very much so off island..  When I built my first bar at Salt River, a bottle of gold  ( dark ) rum it cost $.89 cents.   When I moved to the DR in the spring of 2002, you could buy a 1.75 bottle of gold for under $6.00.   Here now a 1.75 of cheap store brand dark rum is over $17.00.  I sure miss the "old days".