Hi from Belfast

Hi everyone

I'm a Civil Engineer / Project Manager with about 16 years experience from Belfast, Northern Ireland

I've been offered a job with NSK Consulting based in Dammam Industrial City 2 and will be starting work in a few days.

I'm looking forward to making lots of new friends and will likely be starting a few new threads

David

Hi there!

Im from Belfast too and have been in ras tanura for 2 years now.

my email is [email protected]

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael

Email sent ☺

Welcome to dammam

Welcome to Saudi Arabia ✋

Michael, David and Karen, did you lot move to Saudi?
Any good / bad experiences?

I am planning to move to al-hasa from UK... Any suggestions?

Welcme to Dammam

Thanks Karen.

Any pointers re: Al-Hasa?

Thanks.

Hello there
Well I have been in Saudi 25 years
I guess my experience is different as I'm married to an Arab so life is different. Firstly if you are living in a compound it makes a difference to your way of life
are u coming with your family or alone

I have to tell you Al Hassa is quite different from being in Al Khobar or even Dammam
So as someone said u might want to go on weekends to Al Khobar which is more relaxed less traditional
For entertainment basically Malls malls malls Restuarants restaurants restaurants

Any questions feel free to aks
But mayne others can give u more pointers on ex pat life

Are u here did u arrive

karen carpenter wrote:

Hello there
Well I have been in Saudi 25 years
I guess my experience is different as I'm married to an Arab so life is different. Firstly if you are living in a compound it makes a difference to your way of life
are u coming with your family or alone

I have to tell you Al Hassa is quite different from being in Al Khobar or even Dammam
So as someone said u might want to go on weekends to Al Khobar which is more relaxed less traditional
For entertainment basically Malls malls malls Restuarants restaurants restaurants

Any questions feel free to aks
But mayne others can give u more pointers on ex pat life

Are u here did u arrive

Thanks Karen.
Basically forums are dead and you are the one replying. Thanks and appreciate that.
I have 5 and 3 years old but plan is to come on my own and then see if the place is any good for the family.

So when you say weekends in the Alkhobar, is that because Al-hasa is boring place?
Or people who live there are very conservative?

Thanks.

Hello well there's not so much to do in Al Hassa yes there are malls and restaurants but Al Khobar would give more selection .and yes the people are more conservativr there
Dammam is more open and Khobar more .but it all depends on you I guess
And Al Khobar and Dammam have the sea which makes differnce,nice places to go now the weather has cooled a bit

Have u arrived yet
Let me know how you find it

karen carpenter wrote:

Hello well there's not so much to do in Al Hassa yes there are malls and restaurants but Al Khobar would give more selection .and yes the people are more conservativr there
Dammam is more open and Khobar more .but it all depends on you I guess
And Al Khobar and Dammam have the sea which makes differnce,nice places to go now the weather has cooled a bit

Have u arrived yet
Let me know how you find it

Cheers Karen.

The package which I have been offered is not that great to what I earn in UK. Probably, I may be able to save 0.5-1K GBP more in KSA if I compare it to UK, however as my status is single so bringing in kids and sending them to school will offset that saving.

So at the moment, I have not signed the black dots and still comparing pros and cons as to whether accept the offer or not. I guess your responses are useful and will help others.

Ah sothats different
So to be honest if the saving is not that great I would be quite sure before u finally sign. You will have to put your children in private schools of course so that will be an expense
But then living is much cheaper than in Uk generally,at least fir rent, medical, petrol an other things
Hope whatever you do it works out for ypu