Introducing myself - any good gym or boot camp in Lae? how is life?

Hi all,

I should be in Lae by the end of April / early March, just wondering what kind of things there are to do in Lae? Is there a good gym & or boot camp? What kind of expat life is there?

Thanks
Sean

Hello Sean,

Lae is very laid back.

There is a gym facility here and you can either become a member or pay a fee for every time you do choose to use the facilities. There is also an aquatic center in the same location as the gym. Opposite the gym is the stadium where most people go for an afternoon stroll or jog around the tracks. Some even organize friendly football/soccer matches. There is also a fee that applies which is K5 now but I understand that gym,pool and stadium facilities can all be paid in one package. Some hotels have gym facilities too.

There's also the Yacht Club and the Golf Club. If you love your sports then they have big games air live at both venues especially the Golf Club. They have reasonably good food at both locations as well.

In my opinion, the best burgers are at the Yacht Club. For steak try out Lae City Hotel. I love the pizza at Lae International Hotel and for Chinese food Bungaraya and Aviat are good places to go to.

There is no cinema in Lae.

Night clubs? I only know of 2 but I can't offer up any information as I've never been to either.

Shopping Centers - Andersons has a good Deli section and that's where we buy our cold meats.  But my husband and I generally shop at either Andersons, Papindo or Foodmart.  These 3 supermarkets have almost anything and everything you'll need for your pantry and fridge.

As I've mentioned in another thread, you will need to be careful. Familiarize yourself with the safe and unsafe zones. Be careful when driving and always be aware of your surroundings. Don't dress too flashy or carry around too much money or valuable items. There is security at all shopping centers, pharmacies and restaurants so you should be ok to pop in and out or move around.

I hope this is all the information you are looking for and I hope you enjoy your stay in Lae.

Hi,I also live in Lae,my name is Ilai, I lae is pretty good, gym,food mart, shopping centres, we have got big market that we use to sell fresh food from the garden, and many more, [ Moderated by Priscilla : do not share your phone number on a public forum ]

Hi hello thank you for your info

Hi

I am also a new resident in Eriku, Lae (Arrived in May) and
was interested in the information on the Gym & Pool.

Is the Gym & Pool opposite the Sports stadium open every day?

thanks

Peter