Young family considering DR

Hi All,
My wife and I are 34. We visited DR in 2012 as tourists. Now in 2015 we have a baby and we are thinking about making life changes that would give us more quality time with each other as a family. We are interested in the DR north coast, Sosua apparently has a good school for young kids. Being close to locals and expats that have same age kids, and having good internet service is important.

Wondering if the idea is too crazy to make a transition with a child.

Thanks

First off welcome to the forum.  There are lots of good folks here with lots of information to share so please ask away.

Second may not be a crazy idea but you need to do lots of homework.  Are  you going to need to work here?  If so good paying jobs are hard to find and secondly you will have to have your residency and cedula (national id card similar to a green card in the US)

Before you make ANY decision you need come for a month or so and "live" in the area.  NOT a resort. but rent a condo or villa.  Living here is vastly different than visiting.  It can be very challenging at times and certainly not for everyone.

The school you mentioned is the International school of sosua and her is their link:
http://www.issosua.com/  It has a very good reputation and has kids from all over the world attending but it can be expensive.

Hope some of this helps and please feel free questions.

I should note my wife and I moved here full time 9+ years ago to the Sosua area and have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums,  Bob is right, lots of good info here. AND  you must come visit for an extended period to check i out!

I assume you will have work or a business you do.....................

Planner you got up late this morning :D:D

Bob K

Nahhhh just online later then normal. Up at  5 darlin.  Yesterday was 4 - ahhhhhhhhhhhh, how ridiculous....

3:45 for me today.  Not a happy camper :D

Bob K

I was 4 am yesterday. Everyday almost is 5 at the latest............. now its just a habit. I am looking forward to Friday - dental appointment with IV sedation - means I will sleep about  12 hours afterwards.....LOL That is truly pathetic!

Thanks for the replies. I plan on keep doing my work remotely while living abroad. But if redundancy is attainable then that would be something to consider. We are thinking of visiting for a two week in October to get an initial feel for life before we come over for 2-3 months. Ideally we would rent a villa in an area that would have a mix of expats and locals.

Any recommendations as far as October being a good time? You guys suggest Airbnb for finding a place?

Thanks

October is my favorite month here.  Weather is cooling off a bit.  Tourists are gone. Prices are going down.  Yes you can find a villa or condo to rent with out any problems.  AirBnB is ok other sites to look at are vcrbo (vacation rental by owner) and on trip advisor under the Sosua and Cabarete  threads check the rentals available.

Bob K

October can be really nice.  Bob is right -  not many tourists then and its before most of the  snowbirds start arriving......LOL