Obtaining residence

Hi,

I'm considering becoming an expat.

Generally, what must occur in order to reside legally in another country?

Is there a series of steps or tasks in a guide to becoming an expat that could be linked?

Regards,
Daniel

There are 3 main recommended ways:

1. Get a job offer (which will mean the employer can apply for a work permit to make your stay legal). The job is normally one that a local person could not do to warrant hiring a foreigner. There are usually minimum salary, qualifications, and experience requirements.

2. Join a retirement programme and apply for the associated visa (this usually requires a person to be over 55 and to put a deposit in a bank). For India this is on a case-by-case basis I understand.

3. Have a stash of cash available, which you are ready to lose, and an excellent business idea to set up a business (as an investor you will be considered for a visa so that you can stay in the country to run your business).

NONE of these ways leads to RESIDENCE. That is something you can apply for on a separate basis. The rules differ in almost every country, but usually involve being able to speak a local language to some extent.

I am from the U.S.

Would the Indian embassy in the U.S. capitol process my visa application for living in India?

Regards,
Daniel

Try them and see

This thread from earlier this month has some info.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=461035