What are the pros and cons of moving to Italy?

Hello all! I am considering the adventure of a lifetime but need advice on whether moving to Italy is doable. I'm retired, not interested in working but also have no relatives in Italy. I'm thinking about the Abruzzo region and south..perhaps Sicily. Seaside/sea view is preferable. What are the pros and cons? Any advice is welcome.

Hello ThurmsJ,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Italy forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

I suggest you to have a look at this topic : Top 5 tips to live in Italy .
It might help.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Don't worry about making connections, it only takes to make one italian friend, then it's like a chain reaction =) If you're a nice person of course.

Hi!
What a great adventure! Do you speak Italian? I ask because in Sicily, it's best to know Italian. Unlike the main land of italy, Sicilians can be very welcoming and kind. However, it depends on where, as just like the mainland, small places can be very very closed (my husband's father is Sicilian and we travel from our home in Rome to messina and even though I've know people for years I'm still La Americana.)
Honestly, I would choose a place where Americans or other internationals are known to live to give yourself a bigger community.
Other then that and getting all the legal issues straight( which are a pain!) Italy is a beautiful place to live.

Moving to Italy is relatively easy, it can be made difficult by unscrupulous estate agents and the moaning minnies on forums, but on the whole it's as easy as moving anywhere in the UK. I made the move to Abruzzo 4 years ago and haven't looked back. A rule of thumb is don't expect it to be like Spain, France or UK, it's Italy and has a whole new set of rules. Taxes etc are cheaper and food is mostly cheaper than the UK, utilities cost pretty much the same.

I'm in Messina, available if could help in anyway, good luck...