Background checks

As he has watched me go thru the preparation for retirement to EC. I have a friend who has become interested in the idea.

When he was younger, say twenty-five to thirty years ago. He had shall we say a mildly misspent youth. Now the older he becomes the the bigger the youth outlaws stories grow! We started at the same babysitter and were together until we both struck out on our own escaping the small town, and took different paths until we re-met maybe 7 years ago at a funeral of a mutual friend.

Now as far as I know there were maybe a couple arrests for one or two minor fights, some trouble with him and a wife for some bad checks etc But, as far as I know no violent felonies, drugs etc. Even thou he didn't attend I do know he was accepted into several law schools.

So, does anyone know what does exclude you for Visas eligibility? An is there process to try to overcome anything that could hold you back?

Thanks in advance.

The recent toughening of criminal background-check requirements in the residency-visa process signals that Ecuador is scrutinizing visa applicants.

As has been widely reported, under a new rule a visa applicant must now provide an FBI background report and state report(s) covering the past five years.

The foreign ministry will examine applications and decide on a case-by-case basis.  The decision in any borderline case is not predictable.

One route your friend might consider is to locate an experienced EC immigration attorney who is "plugged into" the system and might have ideas as to the prospects for success based on who has been approved for a visa lately.

cccmedia in Quito

banjoplayer2 wrote:

And is there a process to try to overcome anything that could hold you back?

In the USA, each state has a procedure by which one can request to have his court records expunged.

Often this process is streamlined for adults who want to have their cases as a minor removed from the records.

Some felonies cannot be expunged.

For more information, visit ehow.com ... specifically the tutorial titled: "How to Get Your Court Records Expunged."

source: ehow.com