Currency

Hi,

I was thinking of moving to Mauritius as my company also operates there. I have a choice of being paid in rupees, euros or dollars. WHich would be best?

Hello Drone05

If you will be having the equivalent of your salary in Rupees, and since you will be spending in rupees, better being paid in Rupees :)

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi droneo5,
                   Greetings to you. Since you have this option of being paid in currency then you may consider the payment in dollar as well for several reasons. one of the main reason is that you will always getting more rupees in dollar. As the rupee is stagnate, the dollar always fluctuate. for instance 1 dollar will bring you 36 rupees if you change it in black market like shibani finance or other money changer. according to the economic trend, the dollar is getting higher and higher gradually as the euro is lowering. if you take rupees as salary then it is all time the same. for instance your company give you 50k as salary then every month it will 50k in rupees. but in dollar you will all time getting more by changing it in black market which i mean money changer rather than official bank of Mauritius. the national & official bank gives you a rate lower than in black market. so by taking dollar, with the growing rate of dollar every day, you will get more & more. if I would have been in your place, I would have taken the salary in dollar if the salary is high.

you can open an account in rupees then you change the dollars and economize it as if you not economize then you will have to agonize!

May be later I can give you 5 more reasons why in dollar is the best to take the salary.