As an expat or a traveler...

what is your favorite place you visited in the world?  And why do you think that is special?

Where did you meet the best hospitality among the countries you have visited? Can you give examples with your experience please?

What is the country you can recommend for our members to travel next, and what is the specialty?

Taiping, Perak, Malaysia.
Honeymooned there.

For us it was Budapest followed closely by Lisbon.  IN fact thinking of spending some time (year or so in both)

Bob K

Mongolia for me. Travelling around the south Gobi desert in mid winter when doing work there for a mine haul road into north China, we were always made welcome at the herders camps.

mal wrote:

Where did you meet the best hospitality among the countries you have visited? Can you give examples with your experience please?

I used to travel with a basketball. 

When I got to Santiago, Chile, I couldn't find a court for baloncesta.

I asked around at a couple of shops in the downtown area in the early afternoon.  In one of them, a friendly young man and his sister were running the place.

When I asked about a basketball court, he offered to show me.

We left the shop and he walked me over to his family's home, an apartment nearby in Santiago.

There, he changed into shorts and a T-shirt, same general outfit I was wearing.  Then we walked over to where we could get on a bus, which took us about 10 or 15 minutes out of the central area to within walking-distance of a playground with hoops.

We shot ball there for an hour and then returned to downtown.  It had been a fun experience.

Now that is what I call hospitality :top:

cccmedia in Ecuador (then living in the USA)

Favourite place and best hospitality? Too many to choose from. Congratulations to Stumpy for narrowing his choice down to one, from all the places he's been. Hitching and busing around the Middle East in my 20s with a girl I picked up at a Youth Hostel (and later married), we were actually never made to feel anything less than welcome. (Well, except for that time we were stoned in Egypt, but there was nothing personal in it.) If I were forced to pick my favourite countries upon pain of death I would probably select Sweden, France, Turkey and Iran. Not that the French stoop to actually welcoming foreigners, but they are rude and bloody minded in the nicest and most amusing manner.  I always find it impossible to take offence.

Gordon Barlow wrote:

we were actually never made to feel anything less than welcome....except for that time we were stoned in Egypt, but there was nothing personal in it.

What!!!

statista.com/statistics/293756/most-popular-international-travel-destinations-for-us-travelers-according-to-travel-leaders-group/

People in the US seem to like London very much...the most in europe actually

cccmedia wrote:
Gordon Barlow wrote:

we were actually never made to feel anything less than welcome....except for that time we were stoned in Egypt, but there was nothing personal in it.

What!!!

It really was no biggie; it just sounds dramatic. Here's how I reported it in my blogpost ("Stoned in Alexandria") in June 2012 - which you can find via Google if you put my name at the front. I'm sure the back streets of Santiago were more dangerous - never mind the deserts of Mongolia!

Looking back, the Communist Menace was probably always exaggerated, just as the Islamic Menace is today. Linda and I travelled by car through every Communist-run nation in Europe except Albania. We hitched and bussed through nine Moslem nations plus the Turkish enclaves in Cyprus. Only on one single occasion on our travels did we feel genuinely threatened – lost in a residential labyrinth in a poor area, being stoned by an impromptu gang of youngsters in Alexandria, Egypt. We represented the European invaders of 1956, to the uneducated stone-throwers. Today, innocent Afghan wedding parties represent the bombers of the Twin Towers, to uneducated Westerners.

An older boy happened upon the scene and led us to safety. And if he hadn't come along, somebody else would have done. Egyptian cities are very crowded places. The mother of one of the kids would have slapped some sense into them, I expect. We weren't ever in mortal danger, though it was a bit scary. Served us right for intruding, really. We had pushed our luck, which is always a mistake.

Thanks Gordon. I do have many memories of other places but Mongolia did stand out

Libreville in Gabon........

aryavrat wrote:

Libreville in Gabon........

I've heard of TMI.

This is TLI. ;)

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR