Cost fo Living for family of 5 - Reality check

Hi,
Very likely moving to Chicago with my husbands job, just waiting for 'the package' to come through which will include his wage.
I'm trying to figure out what a realistic wage (accept or ask for more) would be for a family of 5 living in the suburbs nearish to Romeoville.
We will be renting to start due to lack of credit and being unsure of best areas.
I will not work to start with A) due to getting visa and B) so I can settle us and kids into new life.
We want to be able to travel, by car and plane to both Canada (where I grew up akthough have lived in UK last 20 years) and areas around us but don't expect to do much in the first year. After that we will want to visit places and have holiday to somewhere like Mexico or Disney or the mountains for a week or so.
We like to do family days out to fun and interesting places at least once a month and have a meal out as a family also about once a month. Probably the odd adult night out also.
Out kids presently have activities like gymnastics and swimming and we want them to carry on with these.
We are gym members with a cresh facility for the baby included and want something similar.
We don't mind not having the biggest house on the block but do want a safe area with decent schools and a few shops etc close by.
I am pretty thrifty with groceries and finding bargains and we have some savings to help with setting up/new furniture etc. so don't have to worry about that.
What do people think is  realistic salary for a family of 5 based on the above information? Is there a minimum amount we could live comfortably on? what is an average family income?
All help appreciated but please no comments like 'win the lottery and you will be fine' or earn a million and that will do it. Constructive support only.
Thanks again.

Hi Phornixx and welcome to Expat.com :D

I invite you to have a look at this topic : Cost of living in the USA – 2015. There are some useful information that some members have shared will all of us.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

yes do check the cost of living thread. 

Expenses here vary depending on wants and needs. What will work for one family will make another very uncomfortable.

BObK

Send me a private message.

I am from Chicago originally. Chicago in general is expensive. The suburbs very by location SW, NW, SE, NE, etc.