How safe is Doha? What emergency number can i Dial in case of problem?

Hello everyone,

I am US citizen and have received an offer from a private source in Doha to join.  The employer provides a share bedroom and transportation and some portion for Internet.  How safe is Doha?  If I don't like it is it common to leave or you are expected to complete your contract.  I am a single female and kind of scary of this move.  What is the emergency number that I can dial in case of problems?
Tx
Paris

Your best chance of answers is to post on the local forum. :)

Hello Vasearcher and welcome on board

Please note that your thread is no on the Doha forum.

You will find some answers to your question in our forum section : Everyday life in Doha

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thanks for advice.

It is pretty safe in here
I am not sure how easy it is to leave once you come here but I guess it depends on your employer
normally it should not be a problem to leave

thanks for advice.  How quickly do u make friends? Is it easy going like Dubai?

Hi Paris,

I have been in Doha for six months and working with a MNC with HQ in Qatar. I will try to answer your queries to the best of my knowledge and other expats can also comment.

The employer provides a share bedroom and transportation and some portion for Internet.
I am not sure what the employer mean w.r.t  a shared bedroom. There should be either be rental allowance or proper accommodation. Probably you can find out what is the location of the shared accommodation and then it'd be easier for comment on that. What will the options if you dont like the shared bedroom or the roommate? I think you get that clear and in writing. Internet and TV would cost you around 100-200$ depending on what type of bandwidth and what package you get. It is usually a bundle package although you can get a portable internet device as well. Anyways if I were you, I would get some more clarifications on the accommodation.

How safe is Doha?
Doha is one of the safest cities that I have ever worked in. I have been here for a short time but I have never had an issue here. I left my wallet once in a cab and the cab driver came back to my office to return it. It is a very safe place to live in.

If I don't like it is it common to leave or you are expected to complete your contract.
Your exit depends on the terms of your agreement in terms of termination clause. Usually it is a 3 month notice period i.e. you can give a 90 days notice and give them a resignation letter. There are certain procedures like getting your resident permit cancelled, getting a clearance from the bank etc so such a notice period is sufficient. Please make sure that the termination clause is clearly mentioned. Also please make sure that your employer will give you a multiple exit visa otherwise you need employer permission whenever you want to leave Qatar.

I am a single female and kind of scary of this move. 
There are a lot of single females working here in Doha. You can get in touch with them via this portal or search on Facebook for professional women working in Doha and get their perspective. Moving to a new country is always scary so do your homework before your move. If you can negotiate, then come over for a day or two on the company expense and see the place before you move.

What is the emergency number that I can dial in case of problems?
You can dial 999 for Police, Ambulance or other emergencies.

Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi again
I think it is easy
I have never been in dupai but from what I know and heard .... getting friends in doha is easy but not as easy as dupai
doha is much quitter than dupai ... not much of outings as dupai
if you like a quite relaxed atmosphere then here is going to be ok
let me know if you need anything else :)

thank you so much for the housing advice.  My contract is only mentioning a master bedroom with related furnitures.  Also as far as the utility they are only paying 500 QR for the wifi or portable Internet which i am not sure if this is enough but certainly TV will be my own responsibility.

Hi
Doha is very very safe city also it is very nice place , Qatar State is very safe country, any time you walk on street and no body disturbing you here there is a law everybody respect and applied for everybody , no thieves, most of people here are civilised, Qatari people are very nice people , if this first time for you working abroad you will feel very bad feeling, same as you fall in hell,   I'm sure you will be strong enough to overcome this bad lonely feeling but believe me after some time you will feel this place is your second home, you will find here peace and you will feel it, I worked in many countries, UK France Egypt Italy turkey UAE, but I like to stay and work in Qatar , regarding if you want to return back within 3 month before issuing your permanent resident certificate (prc) you will have the freedom to choose continue or return back but you should keep your passport with you and don't give it to your sponsor, after issuing prc I think it will be difficult to return back because in this case the decision will be by your sponsor he have the right to accept or no, finally my advise don't afraid just try something new in your life you will gain more experience, my best wishes

Vasearcher wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am US citizen and have received an offer from a private source in Doha to join.  The employer provides a share bedroom and transportation and some portion for Internet.  How safe is Doha?  If I don't like it is it common to leave or you are expected to complete your contract.  I am a single female and kind of scary of this move.  What is the emergency number that I can dial in case of problems?
Tx
Paris

If you want to work in doha and save money ok .
if you want to have a social life drinking and drinking is what most expats do best.dont bother.
I have been reading that one local man is facing execution for murdering a single 26 year old  school teacher
another teacher was murdered by an Sudan person in 2013.
otherwise it is safe place to live .
I don't understand why you from the US are sharing a room? unless it is a high end hotel in city center, then OK .
You should be paid at least Monthly $1,500 us in your contract for rent at least monthly $547 for transport.
free insurance 
there should be a contract clause of probation for both parties, that you can get out within 3 months if you are not happy.

Last edited by CHAD LEWIS (Today 09:37:20)