Having a baby in Bratislava

Hi,
We're considering moving to Bratislava with my husband's work. BUT the big thing for me is having a baby there. We've got a 7month old and plan to have a second baby. Has anyone experienced child birth in Bratislava?? What are the hospitals / care like? Cost?? We're E.U nationals (UK/Belgian). Worried about the language as neither of us speak Slovak or anything vaguely similar to it.

Cheers,
SLR

I have not had a baby here, but I have recently had a good experience with a doctor. There was a nurse who translated, fully, and she was wonderful. This was a private care facility that I only pay €10/visit on top of my health insurance to use but you can also join as a member and not pay anything. So, while I can't advise about childbirth or care, I can tell you that chances of you finding a good OBG is probably high... it just might take you a while to find one you like and that either speaks English or has a translator in the office. :) Smiles.

That's great to hear - thanks Jessrk!

Hello!  I am new to this site as I just found out (yesterday) that I will be moving to Bratislava in February.  I have a one year old and am also concerned about the quality of healthcare for both my son and myself should we decide to have a second child there.  Jessrk gives encouraging news and I will be checking back to this thread to see if anyone else responds!
-JM

HI

I have lived here for 6 of the last 12 years and can tell you that the health care is just as good as anywhere else.

You just have to remember you get what you pay for.

Some of the state run places are old and you can wait quite a while. If you look at private facilities they are the same as I have used in Sydney.

We have a one year old (premi birth) and have found a wonderful  pediatrition who has great English and is a wealth of up to date knowledge.

The same runs for our OBG, although the Hospital might be a bit tricky with language.

Good luck

hello ladies
I gave birth in Slovakia to a lovely baby girl. Not in Bratisava but in Banska Stiavnica. It has the most parent friendly birth clinic of Slovakia (according to Bratislava-women which I met there). They have a website and the doctor (Dr. Spila) speaks English. You can even e-mail him (and get an aswer!).
If you want more information from me, have a look at my blog:
my blog
somewhere on the right side of it you can find my e-mail address.

hello, any english spekings mums in bratislava or around?
I have 3 years old boy, we wil be happy to meet you :)
[email protected]