Experience of Older Foreigners in Bulgaria?

My parents are coming to visit me and meet their grandson! :) While I am very excited, I am also a bit nervous. I have lived here for 5 years and feel comfortable. I speak the language, live a rather simple/local life etc.

My father traveled when he was in the military, but my mother left the US for the first time last year to come to my wedding in Bulgaria. They stayed for two weeks. This time they will stay for three months. My father might be able to pick up some Bulgarian, but my mother will struggle to say basic phrases (she has a hard time pronouncing new words, so foreign languages are especially difficult for her).

They say they want a relaxed vacation and just to spend time with their grandson. However, I think they will miss going to church every sunday and interacting with people who speak English.

I live in Gabrovo, but we might go to Varna for a couple of weeks- to hit the beach and spend time with my mother-in-law.

I guess I am just asking about the experiences of older foreigners. I know as a youngster, I love Bulgaria. But I also love hiking while my parents are more sedentary....

Any clue what to do with them?

I also have no car, so I am worried about train travel all of the time. I love traveling by train, but I suppose it can get uncomfortable for larger and/or older people?

Hi you 2 & little 1 again, firstly how exciting that you are awaiting your parents to visit you your husband and their grandchild, I think you should let them take you as they find you allow them to take in your lifestyle and appreciate how their daughter has picked up her life and placed it down for this lifestyle you sound extremely happy and content in life this will be enough reward for your mom and dad, sure you can go to the beach show them a different side of bulgaria, or to the hills and countryside, or cultural historical places of interest, but remember they are here to be with you and your family.
As a parent if I was visiting my daughter I would feel more reasurance knowing that she was happy and contented and had a happy and loving life to wake up to each and every day, sorry if I sound a bit "Waltons family" but it is true don't feel the need to entertain them they have their new grandchild for that. (you never know they might like the peace and quiet too, and I am sure that with you your mom will be ok regards the language)
I hope you all have a great time I wish you well, Steve  :par:

Hi there

Just a couple of suggestions, if you're looking for places of interest.  Some, you may know but transportation could be a problem?

1/  Plovdiv old town and Roman Amphitheatre

You probably know already, as you're located nearby.  Could be too much for older legs, as walking up cobbled/rough street slopes is involved, in certain area's, if you're exploring!

2/  Velingrad (the green city) Thermal mineral water, spa town

Not that far out of Plovdiv.  There must be coaches at least, headed there.  Some hotels tap into the natural thermal mineral water's and have internal mineral pools, available.  Very relaxing, indeed!

3/  Asen's Fortress (near Asenovgrad)

Could be too much for older legs, unless the older legs want to test their fitness.  I have been there, twice, with a little bit of walking involved, to reach the main building you can see, which is the Church of the Holy Mother of God, perched on a rocky ridge

4/  Bachkovo Monastery (near Asen's fortress and Asenovgrad)

Lovely small monastery, in peaceful surroundings, not that far from Asen's fortress and Asenovgrad but again, transport might be your access problem.  Pity, about the nearby souvenir market but hey, it's something to look at and it gives some of the locals a trade

Note:  Item's 3/ & 4/ can be achieved in one day, depending on your mode of transport

Why not visit Asenovgrad town (famed in Bulgaria, for it's wedding apparel shops) and saunter along the central street.  From certain vantage points, you are able to see Asen's Fortress & Church perched on their rocky ridge, in the distance

Have a pleasant and hopefully relaxing, all together time

ATB

Tim

Varna is a great idea especially in the warmer months.

Great place for strolling, the sea gardens, the dolphinarium, the aquarium, St Constantine is a bus ride away, museums, galleries, beach. The malls for shopping and cinema (usually films are in English with bg subtitles)  Lots of expats and brit pubs.

The only pity at the moment is the roadworks which is causing unsightly mess of the pedestrian area.  Hopefully will be sorted before you come.

Hi, I am 57, her indoors is 58. We are fine in Bulgaria.

Hello! 

I was so happy to find this post.  My 60-something mother is here with us for 6 months.  She has already been here for 3 months.  We live in the center of Sofia.  I would love to find her a group or a friendship to help her explore the city at her own pace.  She is also a new traveler and really has no interest in learning a language.  She is great getting around our small neighborhood but it usually involves a lot of advance work from me - mapping things out for her. 

Any suggestions for groups or meet-ups for mature ex-pats?

Thanks!