What to wear in Delhi

I am just curious.
Is it okay to wear dress or skirt above knees in Delhi?

I have seen plenty of foreigner women dressing skirts above knees, however I would suggest no to do it. India is not the safest places for women, there are plenty of rapes everywhere. I would suggest to dress appropriately. I'm not trying to be alarmist but it is better not to attract men's attention.

I feel it is going to quite difficult for me to live there but am going to give my best.
In which part of India are you? Are Delhi people a little bit more open-minded?

No dnt worry delhi is good and safe it has good transport connectivity and its far better if you compare it with other cities of india....Enjoy staying in india dont worry..:)

What ever you wear will be taken off. LOL Just kidding.

As the saying goes "Be a roman when you are in Rome"

So follow the indian dress code, not saree at least chudidars to play safe.

Cheers!

Churidar ??? In Delhi ?

Since you've chosen to advice someone when asked specifically about a city, I feel like asking you how long have you spent in the city of Delhi ?? & how recent was it ???

Why I ask ? Because if I tell one of my younger female relative/cousin/ friend's sister/female friends to weat churidars in Delhi giving safety as a reason (as given by you here), then I would be hounfed out of my senses for being 1) backward 2) regressive 3) a male chauvinist  4) overbearingly protective 5) living in last century 6) myopic 7) village mindset 8) a controller 9) out of sinc with times..& what not....

& would never be taken seriously henceforth..........

Go to ANY mall in the city, & the younger crowd (say below 35 yr age - yes not just teens or early 20s) , if you compare the churidars verses above knee dress/skirt/shorts, then the above knee apparel is double that of churidars ATLEAST any day...... & rest falls in between.... (Like jeans/slacks/below knee dress or skirt etc....)

So that answers your query as to what you can wear here in Delhi .

There are so many queries about such things & so many misconceptions about Delhi by people (not living in Delhi) who advice the OP that I think it would be in order if there is a section in such sites where pics of malls/high streets are posted to give an idea about the kinda dresses people wear everyday to dispell any misconceptions........

This is a cool place & a metropolitan city...

Cheers !

Coming to think of it,  even the maids (house maids) trotting behind rich Indian wives hardly wear churidars these days in Delhi....  Even they prefer (or told by the rich madam to wear) western dresses like jeans or long skirts & like to look modern & western...... 

I am trying hard to remember which young female friend/relative/aquintance I bumped into last time on a street/mall who was wearing a churidar.....

& I can only recall ones in the elder generation who was wearing such..... None below 35.....

in night and remote area may not be safe for girls in Delhi, doesn't matter what one is wearing. but in general, most of Delhi girls follow western fashion. so don't worry. just avoid too much expose. BTW welcome to INDIA.

P.S. while staying in INDIA, do not forget to try Indian traditional apparel.

In continuation of what is posted above, night time & remote areas similarly in almost all mega-metros are not safe in any country all over the world except a few exceptions like Singapore probably...(& I don't know if Singapore has an underbelly..)

Dont be curious
If you think short clothes is your freedom than animals have more.
Dress modest because dressing sexy doesn't prove to be safe in any part of world.

having lived in India for 10 yrs, i would say that shorts (not the micromini shorts though), or skirts, may be used with caution. I repeat with CAUTION. of course you need to choose where to wear which. You cant wear mini skirts or above knee skirts when you travel at night (>11pm) on a public bus. If you happen to have a private transpo, by all means wear what you want!  Just dont forget to respect the local tradition/culture, i.e. going inside the temple, etc.

I have so many lady friends (all expats) who wear even micro mini shorts in the mall, resto or parties. Of course they do have their private cars.

@warmfriend -- i agree with you. hahahha. i cant imagine my friends wearing those "dress"

Just kidding.   ;)

Hey don't worry to much about the dress , there are many other issues weather,  appropriate plce to live, food ect. . You can wear any gracefull dress is acceptable in city like Delhi,no need to follow Indian dress code only. So cheer up ! Be positive.

:cool:  You can wear whatever u feel like......