Two weeks to fill - or not!

Puerto Plata probably has 65% of those in the province living there. The rest are spread out over many towns covering a large area.

Bob K

OUr population officially is over 10 million, but the unofficial is likely closer to 12 million.

Santo Domingo - the capital - has well over  4.5 million officially.  Santigo is second with well over  1 million.  So yes some large cities. BUT,  this is interesting, the footprint of the cities is far smaller then expected.  Here they live close together, no yards to speak of,  crammed into tight spaces is the normal. 

For those of us from North America this is not our normal.I love space.....LOL

For space here you need to be out in the "burbs"  Even we are 6KM outside of Soaua and 9 from Cabarete.  "No mans land" and we love it

Bob K

Well, we've got 85k here on 37 sq miles and we don't feel crowded, so I guess I may have over reacted a little bit!  Except today and other holidays when you can't find a beach!

BTW - are your beaches all public?

The country is really quite big so you don't feel crowded except in the cities....

Beaches are technically public but some resorts and groups think they are exempt and it can cause issues. But for the most part it is not an issue! 

Sosua bay is one of the  most beautiful beaches,  as is Cabarete beach on the north coast!

"Beaches are technically public but some resorts and groups think they are exempt and it can cause issues. But for the most part it is not an issue!"

Deja Vu all over again!  Thanks

Speaking of beaches,  I understand there are many beach bars/restos.  Do they rent chairs & umbrellas?  Cost?  Wifi availability?

How about attire.  Bathing suits and coverups during the day in the area of beach and restaurants?  I live in sundresses and skirts with tops.  Bill shorts and a T during the day and a collared, button shirt in the evening?

Will I be able to call the states with the DR SIM card?

When the beach gets crowded like yesterday and there are 100s of Dominicans in the water we call that a Dominican Reef as when you look down the beach all you see is shoulder to shoulder people.  One of the few days that you will NEVER find me on the beach.

My best beach days are coming up as after tourist season the beaches can sometime be empty.

Bob K

Yes to all your questions.   You will love it here & adapt easily to the Dominican life. When you don't expect anything, anything you get is a gift.  Therefore, everyday can be Christmas!  Welcome to the DR.

Bathing suits and cover ups are fine during the day. 

Bill night your shorts are fine and I am very rarely in a collard shirt.  Usually a nice tee or maybe a golf shirt.

Only time  I am in trousers and a regular (collard shirt) is if doing business at a government office, official business in my bank or lawyer, or if visiting a church.

I also have not worn shoes here EVER just crocs and sandals.

Bob K

We had a friend visiting the DR who after a trip to the beach came with an "itch".   This is similar to North America/Europe where it is reported that 1 in 10 beaches could have poor water quality.

Bill's collared shirts are not "dress" shirts, mostly vintage print shirts he has collected over the years.  You can see one in our profile pic.

Our beaches are pack to overflowing today AND tomorrow.  Huge local parties on the beach every holiday.  Looking forward to low season, as always!

GREAT to hear about the shoes, because I don't have any!  Flip flops are called slippers here, love that!

Thanks for the YES to all our questions!

Remember when in tourist  areas you can get away with more. Coming to the cities,  be aware that the expected dress will be different UNLESS you are playing tourist.  Some places sleeveless shirts are unacceptable on either a man or a woman. That is all gov't buildings,  churches etc.  At night  shorts on men are unacceptable in the big cities, again unless playing tourist then it is fine.

BUT dress like a tourist you are treated like a tourist.  IF you adapt more like a local it is a little easier to get treated a bit differently!

ANd for sure learn the famous Dominican finger wag!!!!   :D   Index finger,  right hand,  raise your hand and wag only that finger left to right.  No other movement, just that.  Slowly wag it and look them in the eye - it means no, do not even think about it...............no is no..........

I'll practice the finger wag.  And same here on the dress code "in town", doing any kind of business, dealing with the gov't.  But I don't expect to be doing any of that THIS trip!  Just going to hang around the beach, check out the area to learn as much as we can, and relax!  And hopefully meet you and Bob at some point  :)

No dress code when you meet us..........LOL  Only need to know we will be wearing clothes....... we are planning to go to Sosua Bay Beach on Saturday!

Sounds great!  We'll be there.  Can't believe I've started a calendar already!  :lol:

I look forward to it.  I will be leaving Tuesday for a 10 days to help my MOM and back on the 17th.  Next trip after that is August.  So I will be here for a  while.

Drop a note when  you are here, or before if you want, to talk about meeting up

Bob K

SO-SUE-AH......   KA-BAR-A-TE....   Sosua  is spot on but Cabarete is just pretty close.   If you hear it once, you'll have it for life.

I'll be in touch when you return Bob.  Safe travels!

Thanks.  Taking the computer with me so still be in touch

Bob K

So now I'll bring up the "S: word, safety/security.

We currently live on an island nearly 100% dependent on tourism, so I think we have most of the bases covered.  I never carry a purse unless hubby isn't with me and I need to drive and carry ID.  He only carries what is needed for the outing, in his front pocket.  No real jewelry, no wads of cash, and our phone is a flip phone that nobody wants  :top:   We have scooter boys stealing bags on the run, chain snatchers and more recently muggings, some with guns.  What concerns me the most is hearing about corrupt police, Dominican men getting in your face with an attitude, being pulled over and having to pay a bribe.  Bribing everywhere it seems.  Am I reading too much into this?  Don't want to start a bashing thread, as I know how that can go.  Perhaps I should stop reading????  :joking:

Dont worry so much about this. It happens but not as often as you think.  Get stopped while driving - often  they want a bribe.  You wont be driving. 

Dominican men with attitude -  not  an issue really.  Crimes of opportunity do happen so just don't give em an opportunity!

Won't be driving this trip, but perhaps someday......  Just not used to corrupt police.  Ineffective police, yes.  Corrupt government, yes...  And bullies, we have them and we just walk away, but it sounds  like that would not be good advice??

OK, I'll stop reading.  Thanks!

Yes don't fret it, I was ripped off of a very nice neck chain the first day I arrived here as a tourist and nothing since (11+ years).  Yes the police may stop you and ask for money. Just tell them  you have no money. I had one  stop me one day and after looking at my lic and reg he told me it was a hot day and he could use a cold beer.  I told him yes it was hot and if he was buying I would join him.  He laughed, gave me pack my paper work and told me to have a nice day.  Really pretty harmless.

In 9 years of going to town 3-5 times a week day and night we have yet to look over our shoulder.

Bob K

Do I REALLY have to bring my own sun block??? 

Are there cabs waiting at the bus stop in Sosua?

Yes to bring your own sunblock it is very expensive here (3x or more than what you would pay back home in some instances ).

Yes there are cabs meeting the buses.  Do bargain the prices with them

Bob K

Was hoping to not have to check a bag.  Darn it!  Thanks

In that case pay the price for sunscreen. Go to super Pollo in  Sosua, likely the best prices.

Thanks, may just do that!  Will be worth it not to have to deal with baggage claim!

BTW - I was up at 4!

Yes probably not worth the hassle of an extra bag. Buy it here.

Wow so we should organize ourselves to make sure someone wakes the chickens every day.  My usual time is between 4 and 4:30 :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

It's a great day when I can make it to 5!  And our roosters are up WAY before that!

What ID do we need to carry?  Is copy of passport ok?

While here,  carry a copy of your passport not your original UNLESS going into a bank to do anything or renting a car, then you need the original.

But don't need it to change to peso's at Janet's?

I don't believe so and you don't at Caribe tours across from Ocean Dream.

Carry a copy of your passport should be enough.

Oh and our rooster gets us up at about 2am every day...he needs to be some one's dinner.

Bob K

Hahahaha  someone's dinner.......

If I could find the damn thing it would be our BBQ this weekend.  Problem is when the sun comes up he stops. Guess he figures he has done his job (waking the sun up) :D

BObK

One more week!  Getting excited  :D

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooo

You will be counting the hours soon.  I know I am down to 72 hours :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

We're like that when we're headed home too.  Wonder if it will be the same this trip?