Two weeks to fill - or not!

Thanks to all the  posts here (and hours of reading!), think I've got the travel part worked out and know not to drink the water and avoid most of the public transport except taxis.  The basic quirks of island living are something we've been living with for 7 years, so no worries.  I THINK we're staying a bit east of Cabarete center.

The purpose of our trip is to see if we could be happy in this area long term.  But we also want to have some fun too!  So here's a few more questions.  I hope this is the right forum to post this.

1.  We would like to talk to someone reputable about the finer details of moving, purchasing, rights of landowner etc.  Also someone who can show us some properties to give us an idea of what we would be looking at in our budget.  Since we would probably rent for at least six months, would also like to get an idea of rentals.  Any recommendations?

2.  I expect to cook in a few meals, so a recommendation for a decent grocery for some staples and water.  Where to get the wonderful fresh fruit and veg you've all promised me.  ;)   Can I bring in baggies with a few spices for cooking?

3.  Since I expect we'll be arriving after dark, where to go for a quick meal and a cold beverage?

4.  In case the promised shuttle is not available, contact for a reliable taxi?

5.  And the fun stuff:  Where to eat?  What kind of food is available?  What not to miss in the area? Best beach for swimming.  We're not much into water sports and all the pictures I've seen of beaches there is nobody swimming??  A little nightlife/live music?  We are early to bed, early to rise folks so not looking for anything late night.  Just a fun, local place to hang out and have a few laughs.  Practice our Spanish, or learn some!

6.  Finally, would love to meet up with any of you who are around at the time.  We arrive 4/21.

Thanks!

Sounds like a good time is planned. I will be on the north coast April 23 to 27 so I  can be available for a meet up in Sosua or Cabarete if anyone wants to get something going.....

As to your questions: I can't really help as I am not up to date on that area anymore, Bob will be the guy plus some others will add in.....

OK here goes.
1.  We sold realestate here for 6 years when we first arrived and would be happy to talk to your about buying, renting, building, moving, shipping household goods and such.

2.  Janet's supermarket on the east end of town will have all you will need and at reasonable prices. They also have a reasonable exchange rate for dollars so pesos.  Most spices you can get her but if you have favorites bring them.

3, If you can get into town there are a multitude of places to eat.  From fancy to grab and eat.  Depending on what you in the mood for.

4.  If you get stuck you can grab a cab at the airport of give Elias a call.  He has a new van and is someone we use for ourselves, clients and friends.  Very trustworthy. You can also hire him of a day or half day to "tour the area"
[email protected]
809-571-3602
809-842-5557 (cell phone) this is the best way to get him

5 Don't know where to start.  Restaurants all over the place.  Sosua a bit less touristy with more expats about. Some very nice places to eat in town and many will have live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.  It would be easier to talk about it on the phone. I will PM  you my email and phone.
Good swimming beach is Sosua and water  usually flat with the beach lined with restaurants, shops and bars.  I spend every Tuesday on this beach with a good book and cigar.

6.  I leave for  a quick trip to the US to see my Mom to take her for some doctor's appointments and will be gone from the 7th to the 17th but around the rest of the time so let me know if you want to get together.

Bob K

You two are the BEST!  Thank you.  It would be wonderful to meet you both!

Can you tell me where to get a SIM card?  The best place to exchange my USD?  Any local crafts around?  Assuming I can use US$ for travel from the airport?

Sim card - in Cabarete are several locations to get  one,  decide which carrier you want to use and go to their location.

Exchange - ask  locally where the best place is.

Crafts - lots and lots of stores along the beach in Cabarete, you will have fun going through them all and looking.

You can use US $  from the airport but make sure you know the exchange rate and NEGOTIATE.. Current rate  is 44.85 to one.

Thank you!  I'll leave you alone for a bit while I make another list!  :cheers:

Hahahahaha  no worries. I do this while waiting for other people and things... and mostly for lunch... I am hungry.

I'm active on a couple of travel forums for SXM, so I understand.  The folks from those forums who helped with all my questions while moving there are now some of my best friends!  And over the years I've met many folks who come asking for information.  It can be quite fun, but strange to be asking these questions again!

Best places to exchange money in Cabarete is either  Janet's as I mentioned above or on the west side of town at the Caribe tours office (Across from Ocean Dream condos). 
The best rate on the street now is 44.50 to one. The 44.85 Planner mentioned is for bank to bank transfers and government transfers.  We the commoners get 44.65 as the best right now.

Sim cards are easy if your phone is unlocked.  If so there are Orange or Claro stores on every corner so won't be a problem.

Some of  our best friends here like you are people we helped with getting information or clients we sold real estate to.

Keep the questions coming.  My wife would love you as she is a list maker as well :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Actually Bob I got  44.85 at the exchange house this morning.  AND the bank is ridiculously LOW in their rates.  They are raping and pillaging!

I too have met some incredible people via this site.  Including BOB and his lovely wife.

Awwww Pat is blushing :D:D:D

Rate must have jumped this week as for me it was still 40.60 at a place where the money changers go an has the best rate in town when I changed on Friday.

Bob K

Hmmm not sure...  but I have gotten  44.85 for the last week but it is larger sums of money.  Maybe that means the rate will go up again.....LOL    :D

Works for me but not for them.

Bob K

Hahahaha so true.

Bob, at our age if we don't make a list, nothing gets done!

Hell at all ages............ my to do list has  62 things on it today.....!!!!

Getting even harder for me.  I turn 65 on Thursday and getting CRS (can't remember sh*t).  Hence the "honey do list" which is now on chapter 4 I believe :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Now if I could just remember where I put the damn list :D

Bob K

Now I remember it is wherever I left my phone and car keys.....

Bob K

:lol:  Bill's got a big  one coming up.  It's our excuse for taking a "vacation".

Congrats on the BIG one.  At this point they all are big :D

Bob K

Time for Dominican memory cures.   Even in Canada we have brought back 4 different bottles filled with different root blends ( the traditional mamajuanas  ),  and daily add  crushed malagueta (allspice berries) to coffee... all this while waiting for the big move to the DR.

There are more "cures"  available locally....  fresh turmeric made into a tea, mmmm

Bob K wrote:

Getting even harder for me.  I turn 65 on Thursday and getting CRS (can't remember sh*t).  Hence the "honey do list" which is now on chapter 4 I believe :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Will you continue the party through Semana Santa?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB -  a couple days early.  65 deserves a BIG celebration honey.

Thank you.  No big party but a nice dinner at Bliss on my B'day and tomorrow Pat is taking me out for wing night at the Brit in Sosua.  She hates wings but is doing it for me...so sweet.

BObK

Hope you had a wonderful birthday Bob!  Now can I bother you all with a couple more questions?

Correct pronunciation of Cabarete and Sosua?

Tipping.  Here on my rock we have two Countries and two totally different tipping cultures.  So, who do you tip and how much?  Bus driver, taxi, housekeeper in hotel, resto's......

Tough to teach you to pronounce on here......LOL  In Spanish we pronounce almost all the letters...  Hope that helps.

Tipping - in restaurants and hotels etc there is a 10% legal tip included in your bill. IF service is good then I add another 10% in cash.   Look for that line as the 10% is calculate pre tax. YOu also pay 18% tax on the bill.... so you dont want to tip on that part.....

Bus and taxi - dont tip.   they earn all or a part of the fee you pay.   Housekeeping etc - tip as you receive service.  2 to 5 US a day in hotel depending how mess you are????  Porters -  US 1 per bag is kinda normal. 

Negotiate whenever possible.  Taxis,  guides,  excursions  - all highly negotiable.

Wonderful dinner at Bliss (great local restaurant).  A bit pricey by local standards but by US standards still a cheap meal.  Apps, entrees and  wine, water ran us 3900 pesos ($65)

Planner info is good.  However on the tipping if they add the 10% to the bill I usually will  not tip more (most locals don't, tourists do).  Some places because many Europeans and Canadians do not tip at all will add the 10% to the bill to make sure the staff is taken care of.

Taxi and such no tip

Cleaning staff at the hotel as planner said.

If a local kid goes out of his way to help us with something we will always give him a tip.

Bob K

Ah, sounds just like here then.   I'll watch for the 10% added and tip appropriately.

Hey Bob, not all Canadians are cheap.......LOL  I add in addition to the 10% ONLY when the service warrants it..........

By the way,  often there is no correlation between tips and service.   I've tried tipping to encourage service - doesnt work well!

Like I said, just like here!  LOL

Planner you are so right.  There is no such thing as customer service in the restaurant industry.

A waitress can be looking right at you and not react to you asking here to come to the table.  We almost fell over in shock the other night when one stopped by the table and asked if everything was ok... amazing.  If I tipped based on service I would be requesting my 10% back in most places.

Bob K

I don't know what olaces you all frequent, but for 8 years I received decent service no matter what type of place it was.  From upscale to roadside local dives.  In tourist areas or in the hinterlands.   Things must have changed tremendously in the past couple of years.  In the past some of the service businesses have evinced less than stellar performance for sure.   For those who eat & party often each week,  I would question other factors.  Such as; the behavior & attitude of your guests & perhaps the actions of other ex-pats & tourists in the place. Maybe they are not exhibiting respect for the staff & the staff then equates all Gringos with the same attributes.   Some thoughts to ponder, yes?  Last resort, don't patronize those establishments any longer.   Allowing poor service gives them license to continue to provide it.   My sympathy to all who suffer from this indignity.

Gypsy I feel  you are out of touch on this one :D

Bob K

Absolutely  agree!   In  11 years in this country I can count good service on ONE hand!  And I am always polite,  friendly etc. I have tried overtipping in places I go to regular, no results. I have tried NOT tipping in place I go to regular  - same results.

It is rare you find someone with real service skills in this country. I have tried  talking to management and I have tried talking to staff..............no changes!  It really is quite amazing.

NOW,  if you are in tourist areas where they employ EXPAT staff you MIGHT see a different result.  Mabye.  LOL

Nope not much difference. Even Expat service people quickly develop the "Dominican Way"

Bob K

Here's a hard one.  What's the population of Sosua and Cabarete?  I saw somewhere they said it was like 70,000?????

In the area that is probable a bit high maybe 50,000 or so.  The Puerto Plata province has about 500,000  or a bit less.

Bob K

And the province is pretty big.

Had no idea there were so many people!  So all spread our for the post part, or a crowded city somewhere?