Items stolen from cars??

Hi,

My wife recently told that there have been reports that people lost their iPads or phones from their cars which were parked outside a school in West Bay. Most of the time the cars were unlocked which is negligence on the owner's part but still I had never heard of such a situation before.

Is this a one off thing or has anyone else experienced such problems recently?

It would be good to know if we all should be more careful.

BR
Umair

First of all one should NEVER leave items of value in their car, not in Doha, not in São Paulo and not in Boston - PERIOD.

Second of all one should never leave their car unlocked.

No matter where you are in this world most crimes are crimes of opportunity. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if you remove the opportunity then you also prevent the crime. The surprising part is that this has happened at a school. I guess it just goes to prove that a person can be well educated, but still not be SMART.

You're no more at risk from this kind of crime in Doha than you'd be in any other city in any other country provided that you take the precautions you should take anywhere in the world.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you James. Yes. I absolutely agree.

The only thing that is Doha is the one of the safest city in the world or atleast that's what my perception is. I have never heard of such a thing ever happening here so just wanted the perspective of other expats.

I didnt hear anything from my side
most of the people I know leave their cars unlocked
but nothing really happened to them

Thank you for the update Hilal. Yes. I have never heard of such a incident myself. I guess it is better and safe to keep your car locked and your valuable tucked away out of sight anyways. As safe as Doha is, this should not be a big worry.