Nepal

As I say in my eBook on Nepal, Nepal is a subjective and unique experience for everyone. The secret to being happy in Nepal is to have contingency plans. I experienced about 30 minutes of load shed/electric cut today; I have an inverter that lasts long enough until this last hour or so of cuts. But when monsoon hits we will be fine.

I lived on Freak Street near Darbur Square for a time and never saw an animal sacrificed. You make it sound like its an everyday thing and there is blood flowing in the streets. Although difficult to see for a Westerner, these animals have lived happy lives-not like cattle in America. When they are sacrificed the community feasts. This is a good way to feed the hungry and food is available at the temples for anyone-even tourists. The reason Nepali give conflicting information about Hinduism is because there are so many conflicting customs. For example, everyone knows Hindus get cremated, right? I know some who get buried upon death. Why? Because they are direct descendents of of Lord Shiva. I find these things fascinating.

Also, I do not think a person can buy property in Nepal unless they are a citizen or married to one or invests a lot. But tourists can buy condos, I think. I know they were exploring this option a year or so ago. But rent is so cheap here. I know of expats living in high rise, luxury apartments who pay $1,000 a month. I rented a three bedroom apartment, really huge and lovely, for $200 a month, but unfurnished. Living in the heart of Kathmandu is not good for long-term living. A person should look to one of the villages outside the city and further up in elevation. However, you are right about transportation costs. Presently, I pay $20 a day for a driver in a mini van who will take me to Ktm and stay with me to help me shop or site-see. Petrol is $1.40 per liter, so you really can't blame them for trying to earn a bit. The roads are incredibly hard on the cars, so maintenance costs can be a hardship.

You are right about the visa issues, as well, but there are ways and what little government there is here is pretty tourist friendly. I know a couple of legal tricks to getting a good visa if a person doesn't want to work here. But it's funny; if you get a student visa and then drop out because Nepalese is an impossible language to master for some people, it will be difficult to get a tourist visa again. You really need to check all the angles and get a contingency plan for everything in Nepal. Knowledge makes navigating the system doable. I write about a lot of these issues in my blog at FrugalTravelsNepal.Blogspot.com

It is almost impossible to get money out of Nepal. I know. I just recently lost my Paypal account and tried for over a month to pay someone in India for some work they did for me.

I absolutely love living in Nepal. I have no desire to go back to the US. I'm not even sure I could adapt back to it if I had to. The key to enjoying life here is two-fold. First, lower your expectations and don't sweat the small stuff, and second, take responsibility for your own actions.

Hi Amanda, nicely written. I think it is good to get information both from people who love living here and those who didn't enjoy Nepal as much as they expected. I find many people have rather rosy ideas about Nepal and when they finally try living here, they get disappointed. So it is good to get a balanced view and in some ways "lower one's expectations" as you said.
Regarding the rents, I know there are nice unfurnished apartments in Pokhara for 100-110USD/month. I think it is the same in KTM. But they are outside the tourist areas and it is a real hassle to find one (we spent literally days running around and asking people on the streets). But it is possible. And hundred dollars/month is still a nice extra cash for the landlords too.
I have a questions about switching from student to tourist visa. You mentioned it may be difficult. Did you have any problems going back on tourist visa after you dropped from school?  I know some people who didn't renew their student visa because they found it too hard, but they did go back on tourist (provided they didn't exceed 5months tourist visa/calendar year. Thank you.

MyrealNepal,

It was pretty scary, but the school put me in a class with Japanese students already speaking Nepalese, so it was intimidating as well as impossible.

Another thing I like about Nepal, it matters who you know and one of my friends helped me at that time. I've learned a lot about visas since that time. There are several little businesses around the immigration office where agents will help you if you have a problem. Negotiate well because it can get pricy.

Wow, load shedding is only 30 mins now? Its been up to 14 hours a day in the past. Next they'll fix the crack in the airport runway. Where will it end? Sewage treatment plants and high temperature solid waste incinerator? Imagine if the air became breathable. But when it's all done,  it'll be too expensive to live in.

I'm an expat living in Nepal. It is a mess here and the poor people are suffering. But it is not flattened and there are plenty of guest houses and temples and trekking trails open. You can even find exceptional bargains now.

Anyone wanting to help nepal can either plan a trip for the fall to come here. It's going to be beautiful with the Himalayas and some restoration done.

If you cannot come to Nepal please buy Nepali items. We has some lovely art and handcraft. There are several online stores now selling thangkas and historical wood masks and such. By supporting the artists and cottage industry craftsmen you can support Nepal's economy, help one family eat for a few days and have beautiful, unique items to reward your kindness.

I am also promoting a fundraiser for my village. You will enjoy the video of this lovely, ancient village at: travelstarter.com/projects/nepal_earthquake_restoration_changunarayan_village__project/260

Hello MadagascarNow,

I merged one of your post initially on the "New members of the Nepal forum" thread to this discussion as the new member thread is only for the introduction of new members. You already have a subject which take in some of the aspects of Nepal here.

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Hey, thanks for being so kind as to merge my posts instead of banning me. I love living in Nepal so much my posts often have the same point; come to Nepal. Especially now, after the earthquakes, Nepal really needs tourists to come here or buy Nepali products. Donating money is actually third most effective way to support Nepal, in my opinion. It's so much better to support the working class by supporting the economy. Nepali handcrafts are really quite unique. I'm so sorry I sound like a commercial. See, there I go again.