First trip - getting around

OK, so I've read everything I can find and still have a few questions.

We fly into SDQ about 1:40 pm and have to get to Cabarete.  I think we take a cab to the bus depot, either Caribe Tours or Metro, Metro being the fastest.  I've looked at the links but honestly cant's make heads or tails out of them, and can't find prices.  So can you give me general price idea for the taxi to depot, then bus to Sousa.  Then another taxi to Cabarete?  Afraid we'll blow all our cash just getting to our hotel.

Once we're settled, how do we explore, as I understand a rental car is not a good idea?

Flight out from SDQ is at 2:40 pm.  Do we need to go the day before and get a room near the airport?

Metro is your best option but they have less frequent buses.  Taxi from airport to bus is about US 25 but negotiate.  Bus from  SDQ to Sosua is 450RD more or less per person.  It is  380 to Puerto Plata so my additional cost to Sosua is a guess.  Taxi from Sosua to Cabarete - my guess again  US 25 but those closer will know.

When leaving - yes go to the capital the night before OR a couple days before and explore the colonial zone, well worth it.

Planner is pretty correct on the cabs. However a cab from Sosua to Cabarete should be $15US
Here is the Metro schedule:
METRO BUS SCHEDULE

Sosua-SD 820AM 1020 AM 120PM 550PM

SD-Sosua 700AM 900AM 1100AM 400PM

So you will have no problem, should not have a problem, making the 4pm bus.  Take it to Sosua and it will stop (last stop) at the Texaco in town.  You can get a cab there to go to Cabarete.  What hotel are you staying at?

You do not have to stay over night in Santo domingo on the way home unless you do so for a couple of days and explore the colonial zone (great experience). However you can do it the morning of your flight but will need to take the Caribe tours bus from Sosua (actually from Charamicos).  Same $15 cab ride and I believe their buses start at 6:30 am.  You will need to be on a bus between 7 and 8 am. for the trip to make the flight.

Bob K

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!  How far is Cabarete from the Texaco station?

Now to go learn a bit more Spanish  :joking:

Oh, we're staying at Phoenix Spa & Resort.  Hoping it's close to stuff.

The resort does not appear to be all that close to town or beach. You probably will need a cab or hotel shuttle if they have one.

The Texaco is on the main highway in the center of Sosua.  A 10 min ride from center of Cabarete.

Bob K

Darn, thought it was walking  distance to the beach.  I believe they do have a shuttle.  Seems we'll be spending a bunch on taxi's.

Cabs are pretty cheap.  Just bargain with them

How long are you in Cabarete for?

Bob K

Two weeks!!!

Now that you mention it, I can't figure out where the place is!

Do you know the caribe tours schedule from near airport - terminal (not city terminal) to Cabrera? Is it the same every day?

What airport are you talking about.  There are NO terminals next to the airports.

Bob K

I would like to know what is our best option to travel:
Sosua to Rio San Juan;
Rio San Juan to Las Terrenas;
Las Terrenas to Las Galeras; and
Las Galeras to Punta Cana.

Should we talk a bus or taxi for each of those and what is the cost and time schedule

Santo domingo - i know there is a bus terminal on the east side away from city near the main highway going north - not sure what that name of that terminal is.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my question