Local motorbike rides

There are May locals that hang around asking if you want a ride. What is the most someone should pay if they happen to drive from D1 to D5?

Well the locals will pay between 10-20,000 vnd depending on where in D1 to where in D5, you can expect to pay much more, catch a taxi it's musch easier and cheaper.

Before I bought my motorbike the only time I used a XeOm over a taxi was if I was running late because in peak hour motorbikes rule hands down.

For an expat, it should probably be about 40 or 50 thousand VND. I have got a ride from D11 to D1, which is further and paid 50,000.

Thanks everyone. This helps. Some people told me I shouldn't pay for than 20 but then nobody would charge less than 50 to go to different districts. All in all...I bought myself a motorbike! So now ok saving tons of money!

Good plan. Buying your own motorbike is the best option. It is more fun, and it gives you independence.

It's easy to say when you've lived here for a while, but to newbies like me, I find it rather impossible to ride a xe om in the city with all the caos! Wouldn't mind learning for the future, but I just can't find the perfect timing...still getting used to not being run over one when crossing a street

My advice is to walk slowly but continuously. No sudden movements. Look toward traffic for safety. The drivers will move around you. XeOms are so much fun. Hop on the back and just hold onto their shoulders if you want. They won't go super fast, but you'll get to experience driving on the sidewalk, into oncoming traffic, and any other fun experience. Trust them...they know how to maneuver around the city  :cool:

I agree with Addy. Riding on Xe Oms is a good way to get a feel for how you should flow with the traffic when you start driving yourself.

Been riding here 6 yrs now and have to confess in the beginning I was trying to ride as if I was in NZ or Australia. This was going to get me killed. So I switched to riding like a Vietnamese and went with the flow and found it was much safer.

For HCMC traffic I can highly recommend the Honda PCX. It was designed in America for a westerner riding position which Honda Waves certainly werent.
http://s5.postimg.org/xgna9gfdz/Kim_and … _PCX_1.jpg

I agree.  If I were going to drive like I did in America, I would get nowhere.  I would probably still be waiting at some intersection for traffic to pass so I could turn left.  The idea here, even though it looks like chaos, is that it's organized chaos.  Move with traffic, follow the person in front of you, and remain calm, those are the rules of the road here.  Some tips for turning left, get to the left of a turning car or truck, they'll block a path for you and then move in front once they have established a route. 

The Honda look nice!  I would love something like that, but for a beginner in HCMC, I recommend something with less power, but still capable of maneuverability and safety.  The Yamaha Nouvo 1 is cheap and fun.

Agree, before that I rode round on a beat up 10yr old Honda with crash bars on it and lots of dented and scratched panels. Lol

If you are living here for a longer period, get a bike.  You can always rent a bike first then decide to buy one later. I have never ride a motorbike in my life but I got breakthrough  and learned it here. I conquered  my fear and now  I'm driving like a vietnamese. Haha. Now I save time and money and have the freedom  to move anywhere. Worth the effort. Good luck

DirtyPierre wrote:

For HCMC traffic I can highly recommend the Honda PCX. It was designed in America for a westerner riding position which Honda Waves certainly werent.
http://s5.postimg.org/xgna9gfdz/Kim_and … _PCX_1.jpg

I like my CD-90, but if I were to ever get an automatic bike, it would be a PCX. Those things are nice.

And if you ever decide to get a new PCX get the 150cc model as that extra 25cc helps when two fat westerners are on it. LOL

I would use them but they are dishonest which annoys me. Charging more than a taxi is extremely stupid. 3 dollars for a short ride is just out of line with society here.

In some small cities in Thailand and Philippines it was often possible to pay them the same as locals pay, and it was extremely cheap.  I actually think being driven gives you more freedom because you can walk and then not have to worry about going back to get your motorbike.

It also helps when your getting out of the Parkson Hung Vuong Plaza parking garage. The incline is ridiculous! Am I right or am I right?

I drive a 90cc engine, and there are some times when I have to tell my wife that I will pick her up in the front of a building because I don't think that the engine can get both of us out of the garage.  :sosad: