Dutch National working as an ESL teacher

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if non-native speakers were treated the same in saudi. I have lived in the UK since I was 9 years old and have had all of my education here. I also sound like a native speaker and consider myself more of a 'Brit' than someone from the Netherlands.

I have recently applied to several places (mainly agencies) but they usually turn me down because I'm a Dutch national. I have around 2-3 years experience. I have completed both an BA and MA in TEFL AND I have a CELTA certificate.

Just wondering if there was an open door for me...

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers,
Happy As Always ^_^

the problem is not the positions/ employers, they would hire you immediately, the problem is the visas. they are not processed usually for people that do not come from countries that have english as a native language. you can try language centers although u may come just on a business visa.

Happy As Always, any chance you could get a British passport? It might be easier than trying to get an ESL position in quite a few countries.

With your MA you might have more luck in the UAE.

Thanks for the replies!

@Rareshine - thanks for the info, will definitely look into that!

@Full Monty - thanks for the reply! :) Ideally it would have been perfect for me to acquire the British passport and become an official 'citizen'. However, in my case there are a few problems - I would have to stay another 2-3 years. I did not take out a Comprehensive Sickness Insurance whilst I was studying, so for most part of my life I did not really 'qualify'. There was a new requirement added to the whole process of naturalisation in 2012 - I found out about it too late!

If things don't work out in Saudi, I guess I'll just work a few more years here (I'd get some more experience but it's pretty difficult to find a stable job in ESL - most companies/organisations hire for the summer).

wallstreet english is a good place to start as far as language centers are concerned