Looking to learn Arabic/French in Marrakech

Hi,

I'm arriving in Marrakech in early May.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any lessons in Arabic in Marrakech?  I'd be interested in French courses as well, but my French is more proficient than my Arabic so I'd really like to focus on Arabic.

I'm American so a native English speaker, so if anyone would be interested in a language exchange, I would love to do that as well!

Moderated by Priscilla
Reason : no free ads here please + register in the business directory

HI Rachel here - there are French Lessons on the notice board in Cafe de Livre a great European Bar in Guerliz near Marrakech.
Great place to go when wanting to 'feel your way in'
Not sure re Arabic as I mix with Berbers too so I am trying to prioritise that whilst learning my French as last studies in school

Soon pick it up though whilst there if they let you speak it as the locals love to practise English...

Insist on trying to use the language you wish to use is my advice

Good luck with Arabic but sure Cafe De Livre will have contact and yoga too if you are keen
Hope to be there myself more soon.  Good luck

Are you looking for Moroccan Arabic lessons? I teach Moroccan Arabic beginners classes or private lessons in Marrakech, contact me if you would like to find out more!

HI are these one to one or group and costs please?
Thanks

bentflan wrote:

Are you looking for Moroccan Arabic lessons? I teach Moroccan Arabic beginners classes or private lessons in Marrakech, contact me if you would like to find out more!

As you have just joined the site to offer "lessons", I really think you should give more details. Where are you in Marrakech? What are your qualifications? Can you send a rate-card online? Where would these lessons take place, i.e., in your house, in a classroom etc.? What resources do you use to teach? Can you point to testimonials from other verifiable pupils you have had?

If you can't do these things or answer these questions, I think your offer is moot.

Forgive me for sounding suspicious, but I have lived in developing countries and have found so often that offers such as yours are simply those of someone who wants to get to know foreigners without any possible justification or qualification for saying that they are a language teacher. Indeed, your profile does not mention that you are a language teacher and claims that you are from Holland! What is going on?

Lastly, to the females on this thread seeking to improve their French or Arabic, please be careful of offers of "private" tuition from men popping up here "just like that". On that path lies danger.

Haha thank you for your concern Sven Stockholm, but I am sure the females on this forum can take care of themselves before they are subject to any kind of 'predator' on the "path" of "danger", who probably have more in common with yourself (male) than with me (female).

For the very reason that anyone (including the kind of men you are referring to) can see this forum and bother me with similar messages as you describe is the very reason I have not specified any further.  That I actually joined this forum today as a young professional offering real Moroccan Arabic lessons / Dutch lessons but new to the job, has not crossed your mind?

I believe you are overreacting a bit and I don't feel the need to explain myself any further to you. If people are interested, they can send me a private message so I can explain more about the lessons.

@Marathon49

These are one to one lessons, as I do not have enough applicants yet to get a full class room! They can be suited to your wishes.

@Bentflan

Private messages are always something to be avoided. No one wants to know where you live, for example! It would be interesting to know what your qualifications (as a young professional) are though.

Hi it is awful that we have to be so careful but as a female anywhere I would not go to a house or building unless other people there and certainly not in a foreign country so it can only benefit to offer more details.

I like to know prices, qualification, expectations and I would want to know what you look like, qualifications etc.

It's a shame but welcome to modern world

HI Sven
You are right to look after us thanks - hey we are big girls but always best to warn both sexes....

No one should take offence and understand what you are saying....I'll stick to my book for now and then check out the guy; I think his name is Michael on wall in Cafe de Livre - any recommendations?

First we get this:--

bentflan wrote:

Not a word about being "new to the job today", simply a bald statement that "I teach Moroccan Arabic..."

bentflan wrote:

That I actually joined this forum today as a young professional offering real Moroccan Arabic lessons / Dutch lessons but new to the job, has not crossed your mind?

I believe you are overreacting a bit and I don't feel the need to explain myself any further to you. If people are interested, they can send me a private message so I can explain more about the lessons.

Then we get the above, including a refusal to state qualifications openly. People don't want an explanation of "more about the lessons", they want to know how you can help them, what you charge, how and where you qualified and so on. Surely you must understand that this is the first thing that people want, as Marathon49 stated in her forum post? You assert that you are female, but didn't put this on your profile.

I thank the posts of appreciation from others on the thread. I have to warn other contributors yet again, not to go the private message route.

HI Sven this forum is about helping people and I noted a similar warning regarding people looking for studios/riads - there is always someone to help???

Would you go to anyone other than an agency in the UK - simply no, sometimes even friends can be enemies when you do deals - so the sensible route is do the same. City red agency are a bit pricey but they were very helpful and I felt comfortable with professionals. They are based in Guerliz
However, not the type of area for me seeking more traditional so I am taking my time

I think this forum is great and I have found it invaluable in my gradual step to moving more into Marrakech.

I think we met at a quiz night at Cafe de Livre but hey I was rubbish.

I just think you should always keep in touch with Europeans and Americans - they have experience and if in doubt - don't or ask someone who ask - use common sense really

You don't need qualifications to give Arabic or Darija lessons. In the past I believed you did, but have since changed my views, and for good reasons.

HI could you share your reasons to help us less experienced

I'd like to know those reasons too. People can learn any language by living with native speakers, but proficiency can be accelerated by a competent, planned series of lessons. These can only be delivered by a qualified and experienced teacher.

Visit your average Arabic school in the UK, and I would be surprised if a single teacher at the school has a Arabic degree or any language-related degree/qualification or teaching for that matter. Myself & countless others have learnt the language from "non-qualified" - whatever that is supposed to mean, individuals. Unless you intend to become the next Mahfouz then you might want to consider your options.

Here in the UK itself, many people offer to teach various languages, and don't hold a certificate. Or some offer it in exchange for teaching them English. Not just languages, but pretty much any subject, you will find "non-qualified" tutors, who do a very good job of it. Many of the students I knew at Uni, would do it in their spare time, teaching GCSE & A-Levels subjects, which are not necessary relevant to their degree. At the same time there are those who do have qualifications but couldn't teach to save their lives. We've all known crap teachers or lecturers who we didn't benefit a lot from. There was someone doing his MSc at Uni, had already completed his Bsc, and I had requested his help when I was a first year Bsc student, and they couldn't explain the topic to a newbie. I ended up finding someone who didn't attend Uni, and was able to do it without trouble. We brought someone qualified to help my younger brother with his GCSE preparations, and the feedback was negative. We now have a family friend - "non-qualified" - helping him out and so far so good.

I suggest you give someone a shot. If it doesn't work for you, move on to someone else. Teaching is an art. Some do have the talent, and don't need a paper to prove it. Others have the paper, but no ability.

Hello nathalieidealog - do you offer French to English speakers? I've been on your website, but there's nothing in English on there so it's a bit difficult to understand what courses you actually offer. Thanks, Mark

Moderated by Priscilla
Reason : no free ads here please + post in the Language classes In Marrakech section + register in business directory

I have taken Darija lessons from an excellent language school in Marrakech.  They also offer French lessons, and possibly other languages as well.  All the teachers are well qualified, experienced, and (based on my personal experience) do a great job in conveying the material in an easy-to-digest manner.   They are not expensive, either:  I no longer remember the cost of single lessons, but small group lessons are 90 Dh for an hour and a half lesson.  The name of the school is "StudyArabic" and the website is studyarabicmarrakech.com.  They are across the street from the Dacia dealer on route de Casablanca, between the big MacDonald's and Marjane.  Contact Khalid for info about placement and openings, schedule, etc.

By the way, I have no connection to the school other than the fact that I studied there earlier this year.  I have no self-interest in promoting it, I just think it is an excellent resource and I encourage anyone interested in learning either Darija or French to give it a try,

Hi this is what people want to see and find out that is why this site is so good

I will be checking this out on my next visit and thanks for sharing it

Do you have any email or phone number for Khalid

R

Hi, I'm so glad that this was useful...Khalid's email is [email protected].   
Good luck with everything!

Thanks JenB!  That sounds like exactly what I am looking for and at a good price too!

Great thanks and will get in touch soon

Take care

Hello everyone,

Please note that i have removed all the off topic / inappropriate comments from this thread.

I invite you to please use the reporting system if you see any inappropriate content on the website by clicking on the "Report button". Our team will take action more quickly.

A little reminder the topic here is > Looking to learn Arabic/French in Marrakech

Thank you.

I am interested as well.  can we arrange a meeting so that we discuss it . looking forward for your reply. thx

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share phone numbers on the forum

@nabilforyou2015, you live in Marrakech and are moroccan but are interested in taking arabic lessons?just out of curiousity, how did that happen?

Hi Ama,

In morocco everyone pretend to be a teacher you can ask any one they ll say im a teacher .

Their is a center in Marrakesh for people is not native speaker .

All professors are graduate from the university of marrakech in arabic language they are professional on nice place i Gueliz is one the moderne area in Marrakech city .

Have a look .

Lessane arabi Center
arabic.ma

Regard,

By the way they provide standard arabic and moroccan .

have a look
arabic ma

hi ama it's pity,since long time i m not   going throw my profile here to see your message to share with you some Language lessons,i'm houcine by name from agadir  cheers

I am looking for darija classes in Marrakech. I would love to know more about you prices how many hours you can offer and so and so. I'm new to this website and can't figure out how to send you a private message. Best regards Malika

Hi Malika! Hope you arrive safely to Marakech. I teach ARABIC language and MOROCCAN DARIJA as well. I am an English teacher and have had the opportunity before to teach the languages and help foreigners to adjust in Morocco.

You misread  the message entirely  Mr. Weltevreden !! I dont need to take lessons in Arabic or Moroccan language as I am native Moroccan citizen and I said I am willing to OFFER lessons to the new  expats not to take them!!!!! . I don't do that for living because I am fully employed  teacher.

my regards

Hello, at Idealog we are starting a new group Darija: 2 days a week x 1,5 hour.
Starting: April 4th- Price: 1800 MAD for 3 months.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please share contact infos only in private.

You misread  the message entirely  Mr. Weltevreden !! I dont need to take lessons in Arabic or Moroccan language as I am native Moroccan citizen and I said I am willing to OFFER lessons to the new  expats not to take them!!!!! . I don't do that for living because I am fully employed  teacher.

my regards

hello how are you? :) well welcome in morocco and i'm ready to teach you arabic with pleasure :)

Hello .

My name is Joseph . I just read your add on expat.com .
Would you be interested to teach conversation classes to my children ?
If so please contact by at ****

best wishes.

Joseph

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security

Hi Ama,

Trust you well

I'm back to Marrakech 10 month ago after 15 years out of Morocco, so I found my self lonely all my friend are somewhere.
So my suggestion to keep in touch easily by whatsapp or other application.
Have a nice day ahead
Ahmed
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hi i am a teacher of arabic luanguage and darija . i teach in arabic frensh and english