Manila Taxi rules

Manila Taxi Rule.
Taxi drivers will undoubtedly try to cheat you.  Expect it.  One occasion as the price climbed to 1600 pesos per kilometer I just nodded my head.  When we got stopped in a decent area in heavy traffic I got out and walked the opposite direction.  There was nothing the guy could do. 
I caught the next taxi to my destination.  I've done that several times and now and travel to Manila with just a carry on for that reason. 
I live in Davao.  Drivers here are better but still try to cheat you.  I know the roads but it always helps to snap a picture of the driver with your cell phone before getting in the taxi.  I also snap the ID card as it is often different than the driver before I get in.

That said I have to force my local motorcycle mechanic to take extra money.  He has a a little shop and a young wife and baby.  I pay him an extra 100-150 pesos every time he services my bike.  Really nice kid and he doesn't charge much.

Well said Mr Swegolf, and I apologize for my "ugly" remarks before, but I was only talking tongue in cheek.
I was having a down day, so please dont  judge me as I have helped lots of people here, and  I also have a good circle of friends, so I am not really a bad bloke.
Keep on keeping on.
DWF.

No worries Mate.

Aussie Dave wrote:

Well said Mr Swegolf, and I apologize for my "ugly" remarks before, but I was only talking tongue in cheek.
I was having a down day, so please dont  judge me as I have helped lots of people here, and  I also have a good circle of friends, so I am not really a bad bloke.
Keep on keeping on.
DWF.

Hahaha! Nice one, Dave! You sound like a good bloke. Goodonya! Only an Aussie would admit to having had a down day!

Not sure about the Rolfie quote though!

DaveNZ wrote:

always make sure the taxi you use has a meter!

ask me how I know..

How do you know?

Hello all

So as to better list the different information, kindly note that some posts have been removed from the initial thread on which you participated ''Top 5 tips to live in the Philippines'' to create this new thread here.

We request members to please stay on topic when participating on an ongoing thread.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

swegolf1956 wrote:

Manila Taxi Rule.
Taxi drivers will undoubtedly try to cheat you.  Expect it.  One occasion as the price climbed to 1600 pesos per kilometer I just nodded my head.  When we got stopped in a decent area in heavy traffic I got out and walked the opposite direction.  There was nothing the guy could do. 
I caught the next taxi to my destination.  I've done that several times and now and travel to Manila with just a carry on for that reason. 
I live in Davao.  Drivers here are better but still try to cheat you.  I know the roads but it always helps to snap a picture of the driver with your cell phone before getting in the taxi.  I also snap the ID card as it is often different than the driver before I get in.

When taxi drivers knew that foreigners will ride in their cab, they always cheat and charging exorbitant amount. Yes they tend to cheat because drivers knew that foreigner cannot do anything about it. If you will ride taxi with Filipino citizens, your taxi fare will become lower.

Much better to ride in taxi with taxi meter.

They will overcharge locals just as well.  Try using uber or fasttaxi.

Yes, what amazes me more about the Philippines, with it's inherent graft and corruption at every level, are those  precious jewels who remain honest even when their surrounding moral environment is totally polluted. To be honest, those are the ones that I don't quite understand - but I am eternally grateful that they are around. And again, I tend to pay them more than they ask simply because of that. Furthermore, once you locate one of these, it is sometimes the case that they network with other people like themselves

What was my Rolfie quote mate?

LOl All taxi has meter. But I suggest you those plain white taxi. there lots of reputable taxi you should be familiar with them..

This is my top list

MGE taxi, green taxi , you can ask for receipt too.
EPM Taxi-- I can go home safely with this taxi even if i am so drunk and sometimes i fall asleep.

If you were with filipino or with your gf. let them get the the taxi and try to hide or stay away from them before they get the taxi.  if the driver sees you they will surely rip you off. hop in when your ready to go.

witty.monkey wrote:

If you were with filipino or with your gf. let them get the the taxi and try to hide or stay away from them before they get the taxi.  if the driver sees you they will surely rip you off. hop in when your ready to go.

As soon as you get in, the taxi driver will see you.  He charges at the end of the trip, so still has the chance to rip you off if he is going to.

I've been in many taxis now, and they are mainly OK, both in Manila and Cebu.  I use white taxis in preference to yellow, even at airports.  The Yellow ones are too damned expensive.

I may have had two or three bad taxi experiences, one in 1988, one in 2012 and one in 2014.

Overall, if you just make sure you tell them to use the meter, if they "forget" to turn it on, then things are generally OK.

I feel comfortable with most taxis here.  Trike drivers though... well...  the opposite applies.

Yellow taxi or airport taxi is expensive.

I have  lots of bad experience too.

that's why i am  patiently wait for mge taxi or green taxi ( this are taxi company).  try to avoid those plane white taxi.

Taxi,

I love it, 3 out of 4 want more money then the meter, I get to my destination.  Usually airport or the hotel, and look for a cop.  Then, fill out the papers,  Taxi driver loses his license, the police take his plate and he loses income.  Of course, he is full of sorry, sorry, sorry, and I walk away with a free ride.

God, I love this country!

don't think only an aussie would admit to a down day at all

Why not, after all we never stay down, we always bounce up again .

Two days ago, yep, you guessed it.  i got a ride from the hotel to Terminal 3.  I get in and he says 500 Pesos.  I smile and say  today is your lucky day.  "Meter" I say, and he says 500 Pesos.  I say okay let's go to the airport.  Taxi driver says you are my friend.  I share, I am your best friend.  Get out of the taxi at the airport, say wait 1 min. walk to where the police are sitting down and all three (two males and one female are texting)  They are always texting have you noticed that.  I say the taxi driver wants me to pay 500 pesos for the ride from the hotel.  One of them while texting tells me to get the driver.  I share, no you get him, I'm telling you he is over charging me.  He walks to the area where I thought the taxi was.  But, realize the driver had pulled away while I was talking to the police officers!  Free Ride.  I love this country.  I always plan on getting to the airport two hours before a domestic flight and one extra hour to deal with the police when the taxi driver tries to screw me.  Gotta love this country free ride to the airport.  Just wish the Police Officers would stop texting and pay attention to their surroundings.  I could have waved and they would have come running to catch that SOaB!

1600 Peso/KM? Damn taxi! more than I ever ride in a Hong Kong taxi.  A few times at Cebu airport (Mactan), He tries to charge me a flat rate of 500 Peso from airport to IT park.  By meter, I pay about 240 Peso.

Get the police involved.  He will lose his licenses, pay a fine, and the car loses it's plate.  I always add an extra hour to the program when I'm in Manila.  I love reporting the taxi drivers to the police.  First, they try to share that I said NO meter.  Which doesn't hold water, as it is a taxi with a meter, they have to use it.  Then, they are all apologetic.  Which is to late.  I fill out the form, and the process begins.  Taxi drivers are getting smart now.  They lock their back doors so you can't get in until you agree on the fare.  If I wasn't with my wife, last time in Manila, I would have said "Yes" and then jumped in.  Upon getting to where I want to go, I would have asked for the police and then let the games begin.

It's better to use mobile apps such as Grab or Uber for transport rather than hailing a taxi from the street.

I suggest to download "Grab taxi app" or "uber". Both are apps where you can book and get taxi in immediately and in cheap amount!!!!! You will know the actual amount of how much you need to pay once you indicated where you can be pick up and drop-off area.

Us Brits are pretty much the same, life never gets me down, have my little tantrum and ready for the world again lol

Taken from Trip Advisor, some good info.

If the air conditioning does not work, your windows will have to be down which leaves you open to snatchers on the street.

The taxis ID number should be clearly marked on the vehicles exterior and interior. If not move on. Record the number and the license number.

Drivers Id should be clearly displayed in the taxi.

THE Philippine National Police has released the following safety tips to prevent the public from falling prey to taxi scams or worse, cabbies who act in cahoots with robbers particularly in Metro Manila.

The following precautions must be observed:

1. Do not enter a taxi if there is anyone other than the driver inside. Once inside a taxi, check if the doors can be locked from the inside, otherwise you're vulnerable when the taxi stops in traffic.

2. Ride the backseat or check the backseat to make sure that no one is hiding on the floor, between the seats.

3. Ensure that the doors can be opened from the inside and its inside door handlers are functional.

4. Request the driver that the meter be used.

5. Take a mental note of the license plate number.

6. Once inside the taxi, conspicuously text the number of the taxi to someone or at least pretend to do so. Text back your contact when you have arrived safely.7. If the driver is unwilling to comply with your requests, wait for another cab.

Watch out for “Batingting” taxis or those with flawed taxi meter.

The following are the signs of a “batingting.”

1. Tampered or missing meter seal.

2. Meter only displays fare and not the distance and waiting time (if present).

3. Taxi name, plate number and operator contact number erased at the cab insides.

4. Driver is clicking a switch hidden somewhere.

5. Driver would not usually argue/complain if you pay the usual fare since they know that they're really equipped with a faster-than-a-speeding bullet meter.

What to do if confronted with such a situation?

1. Always take note of the taxi name, operator phone numbers, plate number and if possible, take note of the taxi driver's name and face. Send this information to a friend or relative.

2. Ask the driver to use the meter. If they say that the meter isn't working or offer any other excuse, don't get in the cab. If you're already inside, ask the driver to stop and get out of the vehicle.

3. Make sure to check the meter.

4. Some drivers tend to keep a minimum speed even when in high-speed areas. This is because the moment they get too fast, the increments will happen at an incredible rate.

5. If any time you notice that the meter is going way too fast, tell the driver to stop and get off the taxi.6. Report the taxi to the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board by texting the taxi's name and plate number to 0921-4487777 or call 426-2515. https://www.facebook.com/taxikick

I've been in the Philippines, BGC for almost 3 weeks now, and have no issue getting around to and from Makati, Quezon City and other areas with Grab! So far so good for the experiences I had with them, I even rode for free when one of the Grabbers took me on a longer journey due to taking the wrong route! Mabuhay, people! :)

Darn those are some paranoid rules but I know thr feeling.  About 60 percent of the taxi drivers will try to cheat you in Manila in one way or another.  Mostly its little stuff but bothersome like telling you a price which is too much and they are hoping you are green enough to just accept their false word.  Best practice: open door of taxi, say " you have meter then use it",  get in, watch for them to start the meter,  if they will not then yell STOP or TIGIL! and get out.  Do not ride in taxi w/o meter determining your fare.

I say ride it and call police if they charge to much

Call da gendarmes you say?  Now that is the GREENIST comment I ve seen for a while.  Waste of your time.

Good tips. Thank you

MaroBautista wrote:

It's better to use mobile apps such as Grab or Uber for transport rather than hailing a taxi from the street.

I agree. Been around the Philippines a few times and moving there at the end of this week. Never without Grab for the taxi rides. You are quoted the amount before you even get the car.

I sometimes give the driver extra if we were in traffic for a while #quezontraffic

I have found Grab cheaper to get from hotel to the airport than your general taxi on the meter but not always for other locations.
Many times over the years when I or we hail a cab and/or I am seen in the background a set price is offered by the driver, white tax. We have been around the block a few times and know the charges in a taxi to get from A to B and the scams some drivers try to pull. a 300 Peso ride is touted as 500 peso ride with no meter, we want your meter on, sorry that's my price, then move along and go to the back of the queue, start again and be honest, we tell the driver to move on and the next taxi, where are you going sir and the meter is on. It's a game that we all have to play.
A few times we have stepped out of a cab/ordered the driver to stop because he either (A) didn't turn on his meter after asking for a metered cab or (B) ordered him to stop and let us out because he was taking the wrong route claiming traffic congestion and as said know the  roads and traffic implications and if threatened by the driver simply ask for police involvement or should I report you to the (LTFRB) "Land transportation and regulatory board?"

Some, not all taxi drivers are very honest and decent human beings and always receive a tip based on distance, an honest chat (learning more) comfort zone etc.

In my own country and my own business/s I have been guilty of similar practices/opportunistic gains for some 40 years and still looking for the golden egg, they come and go and in the mean time put bread on the table.

!,600 pesos per K? Not had that one tried on me, more fun in the Philippines,,,, apparently and then some.

Cheers, Steve.