I want to try to spend time at a smaller town in Thailand

Hi, I am retired Indian Army man. Spend most of my life in and around New Delhi. With close to 9 million vehicles, life is too tiring. Also not so happy climate at home, I want to  try to spend time at a smaller town in Thailand. I have visited the place last year. But the real problem is what I do all day. I thought I could spend my time by teaching in some  language schools but most want NATIVE SPEAKERS and also may be my age is not in my favor. May I request,some advise from.some one please.

Hello vee kaykay,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

I would like to inform you that I have created a new discussion from you post on the Thailand forum for better views and interaction.

Which area in Thailand you preferred during your last visit?

Thank you
Yuveshen

During my last visit, i travelled to Nakhun petham and Chonburi. I liked chonburi and though Bangkok is nice city, It is too damn crowded and the traffic at peak time is too bad to deal with.

Age is going to play into the choices in several ways. The most important one is immigration rules. I am assuming as a military retiree you would come under the retirement visa category (also available in Thailand based on a certain level of income/pension and deposits) which allows longer-term stays. The challenge of finding a quieter place is that there will be less to do and fewer like-minded people around you. However, I agree there is a happy medium. Mostly the beautiful places are touristic (read more expensive) and superficial. I have a couple of ideas I will share via PM.

I suggest either Lampang or Phrae.

Hua Hin

I have a friend near khon Khen. Will try and visit to see how the place is.Only  problem with smaller town is to find some thing to spend time.