Moving to Morocco, new thread

Here are a few of my specific questions.

My workplace-to-be is on the tramway line. Therefore I want to live near a tram stop. It doesn't matter where in terms of near or far to work as I enjoy just sitting down with a book and relaxing on the way to and from my job. I am told that many areas on the tramway are being gentrified. Is this true of Belvedere and Sidi Moumen where I have identified cheap flats to live in?

My employer-to-be has told me that he will arrange the work visa and has to get it approved by Anapec. Should I wait for documentary evidence that this has been done before uprooting myself?

Are there gay-friendly bars and clubs in Casablanca? I know relations between men are illegal and I don't propose to break the law, but there must be places that people meet.

Which is the best supermarket in terms of imported goods? For basics, I'd use local markets, of course. Or are there markets that are "posher" and have ham, salmon, pork and so on?

Once more, I am going to stress that I don't want "help" from just-joined locals who make their first post on this thread. I do not want offers of flats from anyone. I don't want posts from local people who only have a history of popping up on the forum to "help" foreigners. Let me say, I am not interested in handing my money out to you. I've lived abroad in the developing world before and I've dealt with this before. I'm not susceptible to this nonsense. I can see an obvious scam on another thread, a training company "recruiting". A first post person! What reputable company recruits through blogs and forums? There are no flies on me, so don't bother.

If there are any expats around who might have experienced relocation to Casablanca, I would be interested in hearing from you, specifically with help on these questions.

This forum is utterly dead! I hope no one minds me moving my question up to the top just in case an expat comes along with some answers.

Sometimes it takes some time to get replies.

Be patient.

And if not, then it means that no one was able to help you.

I didn't know homosexuality is illegal there, well I did, but according to many links I read, the King himself indulges in it. If this is not hypocrisy of the highest order, I don't know what is. This is not just in Morocco, but all Muslim countries, where the rich & powerful are above the laws and can do whatever they want. They go around gambling, drinking, drugs, fornicating, but God forbid if a person is caught doing that, they will face the full force of the law.

You mentioned sidi moumen as a cheap area, it is but you don't wanna live there. too dangerous and very far. As far as Belveder goes, it is close to downtown. You can also post your questions on  the ( english speakers in Morocco ) and ( english speakers in Rabat) facebook pages for more info.

Thanks. Sidi Moumen is out then. If it's so dangerous, then no wonder the flats are so cheap.

Do you have any ideas on my other questions please?

There's a market called "Marché centrale" on Ave Mohamed 5 where you can find all the Ham and fresh Fish you want. Tramway goes through that Ave. As far as the local Gay hangouts, no idea but you may wanna join those Facebook groups I posted above. Lots of info in there.

Thank you.

It looks like it will be Belvedere where I'll be living. It's right on the tramway with loads of facilities such as a market with imported produce and a posh-looking cake shop called Amoud.

I'll be waiting till I get there before I actually hire a flat as I want to see it first and speak to/bargain with the owner. However, it looks, from adverts online, as if I could get a flat for as little as 3000 dirhams (furnished but small) or the same price for a larger one either unfurnished or minimally furnished. I don't mind spending a bit of money on white goods and a TV.

Does anyone know of a good secondhand market in Casablanca for such things?