Cost to Maintain a Pool

At the moment, one of the properties my husband and I are considering has a pool. While a pool seems like it could be fun during the summer, I am hesitant about it. From what I understand in the US, pools are a real money and energy sink.

What about in Bulgaria? Do any of you have pools? What do you spend monthly and yearly to maintain it? Energy costs for heating? (It has a heater and fountain installed.)

Also, we have a small child and the pool does not have a fence. I am wondering if I can get away with putting deadbolts up high on our back door leading to the pool area, or if I would have to install a fence around the pool.

The pool is small and inground but with a soft liner.

Hi you two & 1 little one  :top:
You could maybe cover the pool when not in use with a wooden frame maybe using old pallets that are quite heavy that way your toddler wont come to any harm, you could paint them up nice and colourfull you could make a big daisy or sunflower design or a pastal colour with mum, dad, & jnr hand and footprints over it?
Now depending on size and shape say 4 pallets cut to fit your shaped pool, be midfull though that you will need to be able to lift it maybe have some castors fitted under the frame then it'll push away and be somewhere to put your drinks and nibbles I could help you with sink a few drinks in the sun, I am all about helping ha-ha!!
(I think the idea of a house with a pool is awsome don't be put off by energy costs, it's a pool it rhymes with cool and to not have one you'd be a fool  :joking: )

Unfortunately, costs do play a part in our final decision. We can get a more expensive property with low maintenance costs or a cheaper property that will cost more to refurbish and maintain... but we cannot afford a more expensive property that also costs a lot to maintain. I am already wondering what the heating costs of this beast of a home would be (luckily it has good insulation)... so the pool becomes one of those... issues. 30 lev a month? No problem. 300 lv a month? That's a problem :)

But if we get it... totally- pool party at our place.

From what I've heard from people it is really expensive to heat a house, obviously depends on how big of a house, that is if you will be using electricity. In most villages they use wood burning stoves that heat the whole place, I've seen radiators installed on second floors that are hooked up to the wood burner in the kitchen downstairs. Just for example, I have friends with a house in the city (Sofia) that is quite large, 3 floors, 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms 2 living rooms, that costs them over 1000lv a month to heat on electricity. In villages you can just stock up on wood and it's much cheaper you can even go and chop some yourself but that seems like a lot of work, lol. As far as pools go, I don't know anyone with one but keeping in mind that it gets under 0 degrees in the winter it will take a lot to keep it hot.

I'll pack my armbands, yeah I understand you need to gauge costs against maitenance, heating, etc... I don't do the practical bit's that good, some of us stumble along and others run i guess.
Good luck and best wishes with your eventual outcome?
Regards Steve.

Hey Kris don't pee on my bonfire bro' I'm hooking up a pool party ha-ha nobody is getting in it in -0'!
Maybe you should chop some wood just in case!
:joking: Bye for now Steve.