Summers in Scotland

My wife and I are retired and would like to spend 3-6 months a year in Scotland, primarily during the summer/fall.  We love it there and want to be able to tour the countryside and enjoy the warmth of its citizens.  Is there rental housing available for 3mo. or 6 mo. lease?  What are some rental prices for 1 bedroom flats?  Can you rent a vehicle for extended periods of time?

Thank you.

3 month is really hard to find , 6 month is easier.... if you don't  want to pay the big bucks for holiday rental , maybe pay for year? ...... What country are you coming from?  I'm an Aussie and lived in Scotland for 4 &3/4 years. I'd advise no to stay in the bigger cities but stay in a smaller village where everything is cheap as chips but pick one like Auchinleck, in East Ayrshire that is right on the rail line and good bus connections as well. These small villages have empty houses a plenty and the 2 bed we lived in was £425 a calender month plus council tax £100 so 6 months would be $3150 + electricity and gas. You didn't want a house that big though. have a look at the real estate site "right Move" and see what's available. No bout the rental car...bad bad idea ...extortionate!!! buy yourself an old bomb when you get there and get eg. top RAC roadside cover..will cost about £180 :) when you leave sell it on gumtree or to the wreckers, they usually come and take them. You'll need to get insurance.if you get a car. UK has a matching licence program with Australia, and it pays to swap the licence when you get there ..... I also only want to live there for ½ the year but the time isn't right for us yet.. .but I'll be back there for a coupl of months holiday next month cannot wait .... cheers and I hope you find what you are looking for :)

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : No advertising on the forum, please post your advert on Housing in Scotland
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct