Relationship's

I have had a chat with a friend in the UK who's mother married a Bulgarian man, in her opinion she feels the people can be arrogant. I will make my own opinion on that, but for the people living in Bulgaria, has this been your experience. Shinina

I wouldn't call it arrogance. Our neighbors in the village are always showing us the "correct" way to do things--whether it's planting the potatoes or pruning our trees. I look at it more as trying to be helpful. I also found that some Bulgarians display a self-deprecating humor about their country.

VillageGirl

As I thought, very positive! As I am in such a transitional stage, peoples thoughts and words throw me. I have had such positive feed back and that is what I will stay with. Thank you.

Well Shin' if you fancy planting potatoes you might have the neighbours watching to see if you do it right then??
I only met my neighbour last year he wanted to know who I was the language barrier and sign language probably confused him even more. I showed him my house keys the have bulgarian writing on them I hope it reads my name?
Anyway he came with me un-invited checked they opened the doors then had a little look around I left him alone not wanting to be rude or offensive, he dissapeared then come back with an old mobile phone passing it to me a bulgarian lady speaking english basicly asked me who why what then told me of other ex-pats in the village, explaining she was my neighbours cousin and he was a little confused what I had tried to say to him, all in all it is quite sweet and reassuring.
It is a big old world and we are all pieces of the jigsaw that complete it, (If I'm talking garbage just say?)
Steve.

Well Stevie what can I say, all sounds amazing and a journey, love your comments, thoughts and feelings, keep going. Shinina

Hey I'm amazing ha-ha but if we catch any fish tho you'll have to get them off the hook I'm a big old lump but not tough or brave!!! (I'll do you that famous Bunny Chow! Think I got the pee took out of me there!? It was a South African restaurant I swear ha-ha!!)

Just as in any society, there are a mixture of temperaments. However, I have encountered much more arrogance from ex-pats than from Bulgarians. We live in a largeish village with a few ex-pats and we have been shown nothing but kindness and generosity. You get out of life what you put in. We know people who have absolutely no respect for the locals or the country, coming over for the cheap living, drinking too much and having no intention of integrating or even learning basic greetings. Ex-pats can be judged the same until they prove different. But even that sort are treated with politeness.

I would definitely say there are times when I was caught offguard but something that you might call arrogance- especially when working with adolescent males in their late teens early 20s here. However, I think it is more that Bulgarians are not taught to be shy or insecure. In the states, both men and women have so much that they cannot live up to that they often feel like they are never 'good enough' and that comes across as a sort of insecure attitude. In Bulgaria, it is much more like the males are not told that they do not look good enough or do not make enough money or are not worthwhile, and so they have quite a bit more confidence. It can come across as arrogance at first. There is also a bit of, 'fake it till you make it,' going on, where boys and men are expected to always appear confident and together.

Sometimes it is off-putting or even frustrating. But I just have to remember that it is cultural differences, not some huge character flaw. That, and spending time with people as individuals allows me to see that most of the people I meet are kind and sensitive, even if they do not always show it at first.

Hello Sara thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I love your attitude and intention, merging with the Bulgarian people and culture. What city do you live in? I am very new to this, hadn't thought of Bulgaria as a place to buy, but the more I hear the more I like, I am planning a visit in June. Shinina X

We are near Veliko Tarnovo, a sensible option as we are getting older and our first choice, a remote mountain property, would have been totally impractical! Better in later years to be in a good village with shops, Close to a well cleared road in winter, bus service and neighbours you get on with. That is just our view though.

Have to admit I am green with envy every time we visit a friend in the mountains, it's stunning. But I also know the problems in winter and the long single track road to the village. Coming home is like being wrapped in a blanket, comforting.

With regards ex-pats, many will say to avoid the area as there are so many around, but that is usually said by people who don't live here. It's no different than anywhere else in the world, you choose your friends, you don't have to mix. We found it very handy to have some ex-pats in the village for local information, especially while you learn the language and strange ways the country works. And some are really nice and genuine.

Hi Strange ways? would you be able to expand on that please? Where in England did you live? sounds like you have found a settled place and living a good life, wonderful.

Shinina X