Questions about internet, phone, bank account and pension

Hey guys!

I finally got a job in Malta and I'm moving there on the 28th, woho! :)

I've asked about internet before and received the answer to go to go/melita as soon as I have an apartment. What I was wondering is what options there are to choose from and the prices.

Also, I'm going to need some kind of phone subscription with unlimited internet. The internet is for phone calls abroad. If there's any cheaper option for that than unlimited internet that would be even better. Is there anything like this and how much does it cost? Where can I get this? Also at go/melita?

What do I need to set up a bank account? Is a maltese ID really required? Because I heard that it takes a long time to get. I have a bank reference from here in Sweden and I also have a birth of certificate from here and of course my passport. Would this be enough together with a proof of adress in Malta?

Pension. I wasn't gonna ask about this right now, but what the hell. I intend to stay in Malta for the rest of my life. How will the pension work for me? Could anyone explain briefly? I'm so bad at this but I really need to learn this. As long as I work in Malta and pay taxes there, I will receive some kind of general pension from the government once I turn a certain age, right? Also since I've worked a few years in Sweden, how will that work?

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

all i will say is that when you get a job that makes deductions towasds a pension make sure the payments are being taken and arirving in the right pot - i know of at least two people caught by this  - and the deductions made were going nowhere near where they thought they were and as a result one persons pension pot is that much lighter than it shoudve been and the other didnt have anything in it at all..... so be aware, be wary and beware....

PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS

I don't know if it's the same in Malta, but in Sweden we have a general pension you get from just paying taxes. Then you also have a pension called occupational pension which is a percentage of your salary the company pays. This occupational pension I know is not payed by the company I'm hired by, hence this is something I need to save for myself when possible. The first years I can most likely not afford that.

Still need help here, guys, please :)

What exactly are you asking for help on?
The answers to all your questions have already been answered on this blog except perhaps the pension.

I don't know how I can be more specific than I was in my first post.

Well, could you perhaps link me to the answers then since I haven't found them?

You don't need Maltese ID to get a bank account which is good because you won't be entitled to An ID card - just an e- residence card.

To get an account depends on the various banking institutions but generally with a passport , work contract and proof of address they will open you an account ... They may wish for a bank reference but usually they will send off for one , they don't accept a copy that you bring with you ( in my experience)

INTERNET : there are two companies to choose from for home broadband GO and MELITA ... The offers depend on the speed you want , length of contract etc
But generally for about 20€ a month you will get internet and phone from GO
Mobile phones  there are three networks :GO ,VODAFONE and MELITA all offer pay as you go contracts and the SIM cards are 10€ - go offer an equivalent amount in free top ups others expect you to top up yourself . Contracts are available from 15€-99€ and each has a selected phone available ... If you don't take the phone you will get a discount in the price of contract .

BE aware that some companies may charge you a deposit if you apply before you have received your E-Residence card

Thanks Rob, sounds great! The e-residence card takes a while to get, right?

It takes about 6-8 weeks after application but can take less time depends on time of year etc

Wrongholebutherewego wrote:

I don't know how I can be more specific than I was in my first post.

Well, could you perhaps link me to the answers then since I haven't found them?

Then look under the appropriate subject headings.
Top right of page in case you haven't noticed them.