Art supplies/bookbinding

When we move in the summer I will be bringing with me my Letterpress printing press along with some of my tools, etc. I also have a large supply of papers, but to cut down on shipping I was hoping there might be a decent art supply shop either in Malta or Gozo where I could source high-quality paper and maybe even printing inks.

Does anyone know of such a place?

Less likely, but does anyone know if you can source millboard for bookbinding within the islands? Or bookbinding tools/materials in general?

There are hundred of dedicated stationary shops almost one in every town and village , tht have most things you could imagine so I don't think you will have much difficulty

Thanks. The stationers I visited in Gozo were pretty limited in terms of supply. Although they had basic copy paper and some cheap coloured paper they didn't have higher-quality papers. Maybe it's different for Malta though?

It's probably one of those questions which I'll have to answer once I'm there, but of course I'll already have shipped my stuff by then!

I used to live in Gozo as a visual artist for a couple of years and brought most of my papers, paints and supplies with me. It is very difficult to find good quality artists materials in Gozo and even in Malta I couldn't spot any suppliers but one shop in Valletta: I don't remember the name, it's located at the beginning of Republic street.
The range was very limited and most of the things were quite expensive. So my advice would be to bring as much as you can from the UK!
All the best for your move - I envy you in returning to Gozo! I'd love nothing better than to join in and leave grey Belgium behind me ...

I will be living in Malta mid April and nearby in Amery Street, Sliema is quite a good artshop.  Italian papers (limited) I am a Printmaker/bookbinder and will soon receive a supply of printing inks by sea maybe mid May.  Would be very interested to meet up.  PM me...

Check in this one,

http://www.caravaggioartmalta.com/index.html

Thanks all for your tips. It seems there's hope...if only a little!

Maybe the forming of an artists cooperative might help, if one doesn't exist already. That way we could share the cost of importing supplies.

Hi I live in Qawra  so cannot comment re Gozo, but Valletta has at least 2 art shops so does Mosta, there all sell brand named paints and papers/ canvas. I know 2 people who live here and sell their work and use the local shops also several amateurs the same.  If you go onto yellow pages Malta website and put in art supplies will bring up list and on most have links to their websites. Hope this helps!

I see the situation has improved a lot meanwhile ... Good to know!