Suggested add-ons to Standard First Aid Kit

We plan on bringing a Standard First Aid Kit plus blood pressure monitor and sugar level monitoring equipment during the move to the DR.  There may be additional items that make sense to bring, e.g. a personal  Automated External Defibrillator (AED).  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ted

Both of those are available here easily and readily.  AED - no idea,  Bob will know.

Well if you're going all out with things like an AED, then you might also consider an Ambubag (bag mask) and an assortment of different size airways, that would kind of make sense too. Mouth-to-mouth respiration can get pretty messy at times, so this is a real blessing.

Cervical collars which you can either buy in a few different sizes, or make up by cutting foam padding to the desired widths and covering them with surgical jersey. If you ever have to render first aid to a motor vehicle accident or fall victim immobilizing the cervical spine is extremely important.

1 Stethoscope, 2-3 Kelly Forceps, 1 bite block (for epileptic seizures), a high quality (Maglite) pen light is always useful too. Instant (chemical) hot and cold packs always come in handy for sprains.

You can never have too much in your first aid kit, you can only have a car too small to handle it all..... I was in that position before.  :D

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Forget the AED
Add a tourniquet, sling, ace wraps, bandaging stuff (4x4s. gauze wrap), sling, forceps, butterflys, sterile gloves, adhesive tape and such.

Bring test strips as they are hard to find and very expensive,

BP (auto) cuff is a good idea as well.

I don't know I have a fully stocked bag including suturing material, lidocane, and more.

Bob K

Based on the input so far, this might fight the bill http://www.costco.com/Deluxe-EMS-style- … 83300.html  This has a very comprehensive list which may need to be tweaked depending on  if a person owns a pool or boat.

With that kit you will be better supplied than many of the clinics here.  I think you are going a bit overboard.

Bob k

Having a complete first-aid kit can be a vital part of your home.    But without the training in the use of each item & procedure, it becomes nothing more than a pile of useless junk.  The average person is more likely to panic & do nothing of value in an emergency situation.   Tis better to have taken some 1st' aid courses & have a minimal kit Than to have stuff you don't know how to use.    I'm not demeaning anyone,  but it is easy to over do it.

Good point Gypsy,  some basic training is always a good thing.

It will useful to find Dominican/Spanish first aid training and if not available, look for "First Aid in the Wilderness" type courses.   

The previous first aid course which I took in Canada was for work; the "Standard First Aid - CPR C & AED" (*).  These courses assumed temporary solutions in a modern urban location with a call placed to 911 for EMS.   There is likely no 911 and no EMS in the DR.

(*) http://www.sja.ca/English/Courses-and-T … urses.aspx

We have  911 but only in Santo Domingo.  Do not wait for any emergency response, better handle things and get to a hospital!

Hello

Adding to all the previous advises which are excellent, and knowing these products aren't part of a First aid kit, bringing as much repellent and sun cream as you can would be of a great help for yourself. For me is fundamentally essential. We need to remind our self that this is the Tropic where the Sun light is stronger and its the suitable habitat for insects reproduction.

Cheers

Gypsy great point,

Planner they have started 911 here on the north coast but not sure it is fully operational yet.

Bob K

Woooooooooooooooo hooooooooooo.  Nothing in La Romana yet!