Car insurance & co.

Good afternoon, Good Peeps!
I've been "given" a car. Its owner passed away a couple of weeks ago. The beneficiary doesn't want it and said I can have it for a token price. Trouble starts here: The "executor" can't find the cars papers.
Any thoughts on how and where I can de-register and re-register the car into my name and where to go to figure out road tax n insurance etc...?
I will be given a copy of the owners death certificate. Sure that will help somehow...
Will I need a copy of the will or a letter from the beneficiary?
Any advice?
Thanks!

Three options..

1, Use this link to get the information about its current status
.https://secure2.gov.mt/vera/default.aspx?page=licence_renewal&opt=licrenewal&serv=general

2, Go into your local car insurance office and ask them to run the details through the TM database to find out its status.
It may have outstanding fines for traffic offences or failing to register it as "garaged"

3, Go ( or telephone) to the TM office in Floriana, tell them the circumstances and enquire about the procedure.

Be prepared to be given the run around until you find someone who knows or can  be bothered to tell you.

Terry

On a positive note, you will find insurance and VED much lower in Malta.

Tearnet! Thanks. (Just loved your last paragraph!). Will try as you suggest. Many thanks.